James Logan High School
|James Logan High School|
1800 H Street|
Union City, California 94587
|School district||New Haven Unified School District|
|Enrollment||4000 (as of Dec 2016)|
|Campus size||64 acres (260,000 m2)|
|Color(s)||Black and Red|
|Mascot||Jimmy the Colt|
James Logan High School (also known as JLHS or Logan) is a public high school in the New Haven Unified School District in the San Francisco Bay Area. It is the only public high school in Union City. James Logan High School is near the center of Union City, across the street from City Hall and the Police Station.
James Logan High School is the largest high school in Northern California. It has an enrollment of 4000+ students serving all of Union City and parts of South Hayward (ranging from grades 9-12). Cesar Chavez Middle School and Itliong-Vera Cruz Middle School feed into the school population.
The original small campus was established in the fall of 1959, built for 1,200 students. This later expanded to 3,000 in 1980 and 4,000 in 1992 as more students from the neighboring cities of Fremont, Newark, Hayward, and San Leandro attended the school.
There are around 152 classrooms in use. The campus is divided into three "houses," each administrated by a separate staff and office. A principal and a vice principal oversee each house.
Students at the school speak 27 different languages. Approximately 30% of the students are recent immigrants from over 60 different countries.
Performing Arts Center
A 50,000 square foot center opened on March 31, 2010, and houses a 599-seat music/drama theater and performing arts classrooms. A built-in press box overlooks the football stadium.
The school has a 3,000-seat pavilion gymnasium and dance studio. An original football stadium was built when the school opened. In 1985, an artificial track was put in, the seating capacity was increased to 5,000, and field lights were added. The stadium is now used for graduations, athletic events and other functions, such as Relay For Life. New basketball courts and a tennis complex with lighting opened in 2005 as part of a bond measure. The school is also home to an Olympic-size swimming pool and accompanying locker rooms. In 2014, a bond passed to allow the school to renovate the football field and scoreboard. In 2017 solar carports replaced the student parking lots on H Street. Ground broke in June 2018,At the Logan Stadium for new signage and a new entry way on H Street,as well safety upgrades to seating inside the stadium.
Logan High School has been recognized by a number of academic awards. In 1994 and 1998, it was recognized as a California Distinguished School by the California Department of Education. It was one of the first high schools in the nation to be awarded the national award for Excellence in Education. Logan was recognized in 1983 and 1987 as a Blue Ribbon School by the U.S. Department of Education.
Band and color guard
The marching band and color guard have won two Westerns States Marching Band Conference (WSMBC) championships (1997, 1999) and the Western Band Association championships in 2017. The world guard participates in WGI (Winter Guard International) and won ten consecutive gold medals from 1998 to 2007.
- Stephen Abas - 2004 Olympic silver medalist in freestyle wrestling
- Otis Amey - former wide receiver for the San Francisco 49ers
- Joey Bragg - actor on the Disney Channel show Liv and Maddie
- Darryl Byrd - NFL player
- Dejon Gomes - defensive back for the Detroit Lions
- Vicky Guerrero - professional wrestling personality, signed to WWE
- Jonn Hart - R&B singer
- Cassey Ho - YouTube fitness guru
- Aaron Ledesma - Major League Baseball infielder for the New York Mets, Tampa Bay Devil Rays, Baltimore Orioles, and Colorado Rockies
- SuChin Pak - MTV News reporter
- Danielle Reyes - contestant on CBS's Big Brother 3 (2002) and Big Brother 7: All-Stars (2006)
- Nate Robinson - Chicago Bulls player (moved to Seattle before senior year)
- David Shaw - Head Coach of Stanford Cardinal football
- Donnie Spragan - linebacker for the Miami Dolphins
- Kelli White - track and field athlete involved in the BALCO scandal
- Roy Williams - former NFL safety
- "2015-16 College Admission Profile" (PDF). James Logan High School. Retrieved May 31, 2016.
- New Performing Arts Center Debuts, James Logan Courier, 30 March 2010
- About James Logan High School, PBS, 2002
- "Distinguished School Awards - Alameda County". State of California - Department of Education. Archived from the original on March 21, 2005. Retrieved 2006-04-18.
- "James Logan High School Information Page". James Logan High School. Retrieved 2006-04-19.
- "Blue Ribbon Schools Program: Schools Recognized 1982-1983 through 1999-2002". U.S. Department of Education. Archived from the original on 2004-02-13. Retrieved 2006-04-19.
- "WBA GRAND CHAMPIONSHIPS 4A/5A Results". Western Band Association. 19 November 2017. Retrieved 22 November 2017.
- "Winter Guard International Scholastic World Color Guard Champions". Winter Guard International. Retrieved 2010-01-03.