James M. Bennett
|James M. Bennett|
April 11, 1948 |
|Occupation||Attorney and political activist|
|Website||Jim Bennett's website|
James M. Bennett is a New Jersey-based nonpartisan activist for FairTax, a tax reform strategy in the United States which would replace the Internal Revenue Service with a tax on consumption. He promotes FairTax on newsradio talk programs, television shows, He speaks at workshops and local conferences, and manages an Internet-based promotional campaign. He has written hundreds of letters to the editor to publications such as The Atlantic explaining his advocacy of FairTax and urging citizens to write their congressperson to support FairTax bills in the House called H.R.25 and Senate called S.1025. He is the co-director of the New Jersey branch of Americans for Fair Taxation. He is a lawyer and lives in Summit, New Jersey.
Regarding his advocacy of FairTax, Bennett describes himself as nonpartisan and, along with the FairTax organization, does not support either the Democratic or Republican party but advocates FairTax to leaders of both political parties. Bennett, in a television interview, explained "Americans for Fair Taxation is a nonprofit grassroots organization that is nonpartisan and it concentrates on one issue and its purpose is to educate the public about the FairTax act." He conducted a letter writing campaign to try to persuade members of Congress to reform the tax code. He conducts seminars to explain FairTax to people. He participates in booths at local New Jersey town fairs. Bennett has advocated FairTax to legislative assistants of New Jersey legislators such as Senator Frank Lautenberg.
- Suburban News (March 28, 2012). "Union County Tea Party endorses FairTax". nj.com. Retrieved 2012-02-27.
... FairTax Volunteer Regional Director, James M. Bennett, of Summit, Union County, welcomed the endorsement by saying, "We are pleased and proud to receive this endorsement from the Union County Tea Party. We welcome endorsements from any lawful and responsible group, regardless of political disposition." ...
- "Replace All Federal Taxes on Income with the FairTax Act of 2009, HR 25/ S 296". FairTax Nation website. 2010-01-14. Retrieved 2010-01-14.
Nonpartisan organization with the goal of replacing all income taxes with a progressive consumption tax known as The FairTax.
- James M. Bennett (November 26, 2007). "A HARDER LOOK AT THE FAIR TAX". Townhall. Retrieved 2010-01-14.
Mr. Bennett is the volunteer state Co-Director for New Jersey of Americans for Fair Taxation, a non-partisan grassroots group to educate the public about the Fair Tax
- John Gambling with Jim Bennett (2010-01-12). "The John Gambling Show - Jim Bennett Americans for Fair Taxation". Newstalk Radio WOR 710 HD. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
What the heck is Fair Tax for Americans? It’s a new bill in Congress that changes the way we collect taxes from you
- Jim Bennett interviewed by Linda Kurtz (Jan 22, 2009). "Fair Tax Interview of Jim Bennett, New Jersey Co-Director, on Comcast". Comcast CN8 Newsmakers. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
Our mission is to educate the public about the FairTax
- Jamie Lynn Drohan interviewing Jim Bennett (October 20, 2008). "Fair Tax Interview of Jim Bennett, New Jersey Co-Director, on Comcast". Comcast Television. Retrieved 2010-01-14.
Americans for Fair Taxation is a nonprofit grassroots organization that is nonpartisan and it concentrates on one issue...
- Craig Turpin (April 19, 2009). "New Jersey FairTax talk in Somerville about Missouri tax proposal's impact on state business". Newark Star-Ledger. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
April 18 workshop at the Somerville Public Library ...Jim Bennett of Summit... The fair tax is a federal tax reform proposal to replace corporate and individual income taxes, payroll taxes and estate and gift taxes with a national retail consumption tax.
- Independent Press, April 14, 2009, Summit's Bennett speaks at conference, Retrieved August 9, 2015, "....."
- Jim Bennett (December 18, 2007). "Anti-Intellectualism, the Right, and Rudy". The Atlantic. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
... The Fair Tax is the product of $23 million worth of research and has grassroots support from a broad spectrum of the public. ~Jim Bennett Summit, NJ (letter to the editor)
- Perry Bacon Jr. / Jim Bennett (November 12, 2007). "Trouble For 'Tax Hike Mike'?". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
People will see exactly how much the federal government costs them every time they go to the checkout counter at the supermarket. Politicians will be loath to raise the rate when they no longer can hide the tax. ~Jim Bennett Summit, NJ (letter to the editor)
- Jim Boulden; Jim Bennett (August 12, 2008). "Investors in Russia know the risks". CNN. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
Ask your Senators and Congressperson to co-sponsor HR.25 and S.1025. ~Jim Bennett Summit, NJ NJ State Co-Director, Americans for Fair Taxation (letter to the editor)
- "The Grassroots". FairTax.org. 2010-01-12. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
James Bennett Co-State Director Summit, NJ (NJ-07)horizontal tab character in
|quote=at position 15 (help)
- Timothy Egan / Jim Bennett (letter to the editor) (January 2, 2008). "Two-Buck Huck". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
First, the Fair Tax is not an add-on but a replacement. It replaces the most regressive taxes of all - those that are embedded in the price of every good and service we buy. These taxes hit the poor the hardest.~Jim Bennett Summit, NJ
- Jim Bennett (February 17, 2009). "Reform the tax code (letter to the editor)". Newark Star-Ledger. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
With the Fair Tax, the tax code will no longer get in the way of qualified public servants.
- Jim Bennett (letter to the editor) (28 Nov 2007). "Here in New Jersey, where the audience is tougher, we are putting an organization together and are primed for growth. We have mounted a letter-writing campaign in two congressional districts and hope to expand it.". The Atlantic. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
- The Alternative Press Staff (2009-05-07). "Residents Converge on Cafe Mavi in Summit to Learn About the Fair Tax". The Alternative Press. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
FairTax State Co-Director Jim Bennett speaks to inquirers Thursday night, May 7, 2009, at Cafe Mavi about the FairTax. People came from Summit, Springfield and East Orange to listen, learn and ask questions about the Fair Tax.
- staff writer (July 17, 2008). "TALKING FAIR TAX" (PDF). The Westfield Leader. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
Pictured at a July 9 meeting are ... Jim Bennett of Summit, Fair Tax co-director for New Jersey...
|This biographical article about a United States activist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|