James Macgregor (MP)
James Macgregor (1 August 1808 – 5 September 1858) was a British banker, railway chairman and politician.
James Macgregor began his business career as a banker in Liverpool, serving as the manager of Liverpool Commercial Banking Company. In September 1845 Macgregor was elected chairman and managing director of South Eastern Railway. The position gave Macgregor full autonomy over the railway's operations. After nine challenging years dealing with the line's expansion and acrimonious relations with other railways, Macgregor resigned in 1854.
James Macgregor was firstly married on 3 November 1829 at St Marylebone Parish Church to Jane Small, eldest daughter of London merchant, Robert Small, Esq. of York Terrace, Regent's Park, London. Jane and her father were members of the Smalls of Dirnanean, Perthshire, Scotland. The couple had nine children before Jane Small's death in 1845.
Macgregor secondly married Catherine Pendarvis Lochner at St Mary on Paddington Green Church on 11 August 1849, and with her had an additional five children, including Lt.-Col. James Pendarvis Macgregor.
James Macgregor died in London on 5 September 1858, aged 50.
- McGregor, James (1811). "Liverpool, Lancashire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1659-1812". Salt Lake City, UT, USA: Ancestry.com. p. 38.
Christening Year, 1811
- "Marriages". Morning Journal, London, Middlesex, England. 6 November 1829.
- Perkins, J. C. (1873). Reports of Cases Heard and Determined by the Lord Chancellor and the Court of Appeal in Chancery, Volume 60. Boston, MA, USA: Little, Brown & Company. p. 594.
- Gray, Adrian (1990). The South Eastern Railway. Middleton Press. p. 21. ISBN 978-0-906520-85-7.
- Charles Roger Dod, Robert Phipps Dod (1852). Dod's Parliamentary Companion, Volume 20. London, England: Whittaker & Co., Ave Maria Lane. p. 223.
- Williams, Williams Retlaw (1899). The Parliamentary History of the County of Oxford, 1213-1899. England: Priv. Print. for the author by E. Davies. p. 191.
- Macgregor, James, Jane Small (1829). London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921. Salt Lake City, UT: Anecstry.com. p. 150.
Parish of St. Mary-le-bone, County of Middlesex, London, England
- Urban, Sylvanus (1845). The Gentleman's Magazine,Volume XXIII. London, England: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons. p. 674.
- James MacGregor, Catherine Pendarvis Lochner (1849). London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921. St. Paddington's, London, Middlesex, England: Ancestry.com, Salt Lake City, UT, USA. p. 59.
- W.P. Griffith and Sons (1898). "St. Martin's-le-grand". St. Martin's-le-grand. Volume 9: 346–348. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Lord Charles Clinton
|Member of Parliament for Sandwich
1852 – 1857
With: Lord Charles Clinton
Lord Clarence Paget