James Madison Institute
|President||J. Robert McClure III|
(FYE December 2015)
|Address||The Columns, 100 N. Duval St.|
Tallahassee, FL 32301
The James Madison Institute (JMI) is a free-market American think tank headquartered in Tallahassee, Florida in the United States. It is a member of the State Policy Network. The organization's stated mission is "to keep the citizens of Florida informed about their government and to shape our state’s future through the advancement of practical free-market ideas on public policy issues."
JMI was founded in Tallahassee, Florida in 1987 by J. Stanley Marshall, a former president of Florida State University. JMI is named after James Madison, the fourth President of the United States, third Secretary of State, author of the U.S. Constitution, and co-author of The Federalist Papers.
The institute believes that a cleaner environment and economic liberty are not mutually exclusive goals, and that private property rights and market incentives will encourage good stewardship. In 2015, JMI absorbed the Orlando-based Coalition for Property Rights into its Center for Property Rights.
The institute believes that direct personal responsibility for health care controls costs and provides individuals with incentives to make healthy choices. JMI supports market-based, consumer-driven reforms such as health savings accounts (HSAs) as a way to improve the quality of health services and increase access to the uninsured.
Various JMI studies have shown that economic growth varies inversely with tax growth and that, dollar-for-dollar, private sector activity is more productive than public sector activity. JMI supports reforms that emphasize low tax rates and less government spending. In 2015, JMI launched the Center for Economic Prosperity.
- "James Madison Institute for Public Policy Studies Inc" (PDF). Foundation Center. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- Hatter, Lynn (March 4, 2015). "Senate Starts Medicaid Expansion Talks With Two...Maybe Three Plans Already On The Table". WFSU. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- "About JMI". James Madison Institute. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- Ensley, Gerald (June 9, 2014). "Former FSU president Stanley Marshall dies at 91". Tallahassee Democrat. Retrieved 8 September 2015.
- Derby, Kevin (May 27, 2011). "James Madison Institute Cheers 2011 Legislative Session". Sunshine State News. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- Mattox, William (January 30, 2014). "School choice gives Florida a leg up on quality". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- Barth, Cindy (March 4, 2015). "James Madison Institute adds new Orlando, Tallahassee centers". Orlando Business Journal. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- Derby, Kevin (March 2, 2015). "Conservative James Madison Institute Spreads Across Florida". Sunshine State News. Archived from the original on 4 March 2015. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- Gillin, Joshua (April 20, 2015). "What polls say about Medicaid expansion in Florida". PolitiFact. Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 8 September 2015.
- "25 Reasons NOT to Take Federal Dollars to Expand Medicaid". Sunshine State News. June 4, 2015. Retrieved 8 September 2015.
- Schorsch, Peter (August 17, 2015). "James Madison Institute celebrates inaugural policy retreat". Saint Petersblog. Retrieved 8 September 2015.