|Born||3 April 1989|
|Alma mater||Royal Academy of Dramatic Art|
McArdle was born in Glasgow. As a child he attended PACE Theatre Company (a renowned company) in Paisley. Having worked as a child actor in films, he trained at RADA, graduating in 2010. In his graduation year he appeared in Macbeth at The Globe and starred in the summer smash hit Spur of the Moment by Anya Reiss at the Royal Court Theatre in London. He was also well received in his role in A Month in the Country by Ivan Turgenev at the Chichester Festival Theatre.
In 2012, he starred as Harold Abrahams in Chariots of Fire, Mike Bartlett's stage adaptation of the film of the same title, which opened at London's Hampstead Theatre on 9 May and transferred to the West End on 23 June, running through to 5 January 2013.
In 2017, McArdle's performance as Louis Ironson in Angels in America at National Theatre Lyttleton in London earned him a nomination for the Olivier Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role. In March 2018 he stayed with the production when it transferred to Broadway for an 18-week engagement at the Neil Simon Theatre and was nominated for the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Actor in a Play.
He currently resides in London, England.
|Spur of the Moment||Daniel Mast||Royal Court Theatre|||
|A Month in the Country||Aleksei Belyaev||Chichester Festival Theatre|||
|2011||Emperor and Galilean||Agathon||National Theatre|||
|The Heart of Robin Hood||Robin Hood||Royal Shakespeare Company|||
|2012||Chariots of Fire||Harold Abrahams||Hampstead Theatre|||
|2014||James I: The Key Will Keep The Lock||James I of Scotland||National Theatre|||
|Edinburgh International Festival|
|National Theatre of Scotland|
|2015||Platonov||Mikhail Platonov||Chichester Festival Theatre|||
|2016||Platonov||Mikhail Platonov||National Theatre|
|2017||Angels in America||Louis Ironson||National Theatre|||
|2018||Neil Simon Theatre|
|2019||Peter Gynt||Peter Gynt||National Theatre|||
|2011||Appropriate Adult||Stephen West||2 episodes|
|Page Eight||Ted Finch||Television film|
|2013||Love and Marriage||Charlie McCallister||6 episodes|
|2014||New Worlds||Will Blood||Miniseries|
|Salting the Battlefield||Ted Finch||Television film|
|Turks & Caicos||Television film|
|2017||Man in an Orange Shirt||Thomas March||Television film|
|TBA||Mare of Easttown||Deacon Mark Burton||Upcoming miniseries|
|2012||Private Peaceful||Lieutenant Buckland|
|2014||'71||Sergeant Mark McGowen|
|2015||Star Wars: The Force Awakens||Niv Lek|
|2016||On The Road||Joe|
|2018||Mary Queen of Scots||Earl of Moray|
Awards and nominations
|2010||Ian Charleson Awards||Special Commendation||Macbeth||Nominated|
|A Month in the Country||Nominated|
|Evening Standard Awards||Outstanding Newcomer||Spur of the Moment||Nominated|
|2015||Ian Charleson Awards||1st Place||Platonov||Won|
|2016||Evening Standard Awards||Best Actor||Nominated|
|2018||Laurence Olivier Awards||Olivier Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role||Angels in America||Nominated|
|Theatre World Award||Won|
|Drama League Awards||Distinguished Performance||Nominated|
|Drama Desk Awards||Best Actor in a Play||Nominated|
|2019||h100 Awards||Theatre & Performance||Peter Gynt||Nominated|
- "Profiles : James McArdle". RADA. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- Snow, Georgia (24 June 2016). "James McArdle wins 2015 Ian Charleson award". The Stage. Retrieved 21 December 2016.
- Billington, Michael (4 May 2017). "Angels in America review – Garfield and Lane excel in Kushner's surreal epic". The Guardian. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- Stage, Guardian (6 March 2018). "Olivier awards 2018: complete list of nominations". The Guardian. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- Hetrick, Adam (28 May 2018). "Angels in America, Starring Nathan Lane and Andrew Garfield, Opens on Broadway March 25". Playbill. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- Cox, Gordon (26 April 2018). "'Carousel,' 'SpongeBob SquarePants' Lead 2018 Drama Desk Nominations (Full List)". Variety. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- "Macbeth". The Globe. 21 August 2010. Archived from the original on 31 December 2010.
- "Spur of the Moment". The Royal Court Theatre. 21 August 2010.
- "A Month in the Country". Chichester Festival Theatre. Archived from the original on 23 November 2011.
- "Emperor and Galilean". Royal National Theatre. Archived from the original on 10 July 2012.
- "The Heart of Robin Hood". RSC. Archived from the original on 15 February 2012.
- "Chariots of Fire". Hampstead Theatre. 2012.
- "The James Plays". National Theatre of Scotland. 2014.
- "Young Chekhov: Three-play day". Royal National Theatre. 2016.
- "London's Angels in America Will Transfer to Broadway". Playbill. 7 September 2017.
- "Autumn Press Conference: 2019 and Beyond". Royal National Theatre. 2018.