James McKinley (American football)
February 25, 1945|
|Died||July 6, 2012
|Alma mater||Western Michigan|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|1977–1981||North Carolina A&T|
|1982||Prairie View A&M|
|1984||Oklahoma Outlaws (DL)|
|Head coaching record|
James "Jim" Ruffin McKinley (February 25, 1945 – July 6, 2012) was an American football player, coach and businessman. He coached football teams at several historically black colleges and universities, was a defensive coach for the USFL's Oklahoma Outlaws, and served as executive director of the Heritage Bowl, which he helped create.
North Carolina A&T
After coaching at Central State, McKinley moved on to be the head coach at North Carolina A&T from 1977 to 1981  His record at NCA&T was 29 wins, 32 losses and 1 tie with a highlight 9 wins and 3 losses for the 1980 season.
Prairie View A&M
McKinley was the 14th head college football coach for the Prairie View A&M University Panthers located in Prairie View, Texas and he held that position for the 1982 season. His career coaching record at Prairie View was 1 wins, 10 losses, and 0 ties. As of the conclusion of the 2007 season, this ranks him 19th at Prairie View in total wins and 19th at Prairie View in winning percentage (0.091). 
Other coaching positions
McKinley started McKinley Financial Services, Inc., in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The company has become one of the largest minority insurance agencies in the United States with over 50 agents and staff. He was awarded the 2007 Distinguished Alumni Award from Western Michigan University, where he received his Bachelor of Arts in 1966.
In 1991, McKinley formulated the idea of the Heritage Bowl, an annual college football bowl game matching up two Division I-AA teams left out of the division's playoff system. McKinley served as the bowl's executive director in its first years. Despite massive financial losses, poor attendance, protests from neighborhood residents, and a lack of television coverage in its first year, the bowl continued to be played every year until 1999, when the game was discontinued.
- Ariel Barkhurst (2012-07-10). "James McKinley, prominent Fort Lauderdale businessman, dies at 68 - Sun Sentinel". Articles.sun-sentinel.com. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- WMU News "Three honored with Distinguished Alumni Awards" October 17, 2007
- Western Michigan University Broncos Athletic Hall of Fame
- James "Jim" McKinley Records by Year
- The Sports Network North Carolina A&T Football Records
- Redmond Zone Prairie View A&M Football Record History
- "Prairie View Agricultural & Mechanical University Directory". The Sports Network.
- Prairie View A&M University coaching records
- The Associated Press. "Outlaws name two assistant coaches to staff", The Daily Oklahoman. January 8, 1984. Sports Page 3.
- Western Michigan University "2007 Distinguished Alumni Award Recipient" Jim McKinley
- Walker, Richard. "A&T Aggies are bowl bound", The Charlotte Observer. December 21, 1991. Sports Page 4.
- Wyche, Steve and Pugh, Tony. "Heritage Bowl fumbles its economic potential", The Miami Herald. December 27, 1991. Page BR1.
- Woolfe, Tao. "Heritage Bowl organizers unfazed by residents' protest", South Florida Sun-Sentinel. April 5, 1991. Page B4.
- Wyche, Steve. "'91 Heritage Bowl won't be televised; Conflict with NCAA cited", The Miami Herald. June 27, 1991. Page D8.