James Newton Rodney Moore
|Sir Rodney Moore|
|Died||1985 (aged 79–80)|
|Years of service||1925–66|
|Commands held||London District
10th Armoured Division
1st Guards Brigade
8th Infantry Brigade
2nd Battalion, Grenadier Guards
|Battles/wars||Second World War
|Awards||Knight Grand Cross of the Order of St Michael and St George
Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath
Commander of the Order of the British Empire
Distinguished Service Order
Mentioned in despatches
Commander of the Order of the Defender of the Realm (Malaya)
Educated at Harrow School and the Royal Military College, Sandhurst, Moore was commissioned as a second lieutenant into the Grenadier Guards in 1925. From 1942 to 1944 he was a General Staff Officer (GSO) in the Guards Armoured Division. He was then Commanding Officer (CO) of the 2nd Battalion, Grenadier Guards, in North-West Europe. In 1945 he became CO of the 8th Infantry Brigade in Germany and Palestine. From 1946 to 1947 he was CO of the 1st Guards Brigade, also in Palestine.
From 1951 to 1953 he was Deputy Adjutant-General, British Army of the Rhine, Germany. Moore than undertook his first NATO posting, as Chief of Staff Allied Forces Northern Europe. Returning to the Middle East in 1955, Moore was General Officer Commanding (GOC) 1st Division. He was then transferred, in the same year, to command the 10th Armoured Division.
Returning to London in 1957, he assumed the post of Major-General commanding the Household Brigade and London District. Another overseas posting in 1959 saw him serving as Chief of Armed Forces Staff, Malaya and Director of Border Operations, Malaya. For his service in this role, Moore was appointed an honorary Commander of the Order of the Defender of the Realm by the Malayan government in 1961. His last active appointment was as the first Defence Services Secretary at the Ministry of Defence in London. He retired in 1966.
- The London Gazette: . 30 January 1925. Retrieved 2009-10-29.
- The London Gazette: . 25 September 1959. Retrieved 2009-10-29.
- "Senarai Penuh Penerima Darjah Kebesaran, Bintang dan Pingat Persekutuan Tahun 1961." (PDF).
- The London Gazette: . 10 March 1964. Retrieved 2009-10-29.
- The London Gazette: . 14 October 1966. Retrieved 2009-10-29.
- The London Gazette: . 20 October 1966. Retrieved 2009-10-29.
- The London Gazette: . 4 June 1985. Retrieved 2009-10-29.
- The London Gazette: . 10 June 1975. Retrieved 2009-10-29.
|General Officer Commanding the 1st Division
Sir George Johnson
|GOC London District
Sir George Burns
|New title||Defence Services Secretary
Sir Ian Hogg