James Norris Memorial Trophy
|Given for||"defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position" in the National Hockey League|
|First award||1953–54 NHL season|
|Most recent||Erik Karlsson|
The James Norris Memorial Trophy, or simply the Norris Trophy, is awarded annually to the National Hockey League's top "defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position". The James Norris Memorial Trophy has been awarded 60 times to 25 different players since its beginnings in 1954. At the end of each season, members of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association vote to determine the player who was the best defenseman during the regular season.
The trophy is named in honour of James E. Norris, owner of the National Hockey League's Detroit Red Wings from 1932 to 1952. The trophy was first awarded at the conclusion of the 1953–54 NHL season.
Bobby Orr of the Boston Bruins won the award for a record eight consecutive seasons (1968–75). Doug Harvey and Nicklas Lidstrom have won the award seven times, while Ray Bourque won it five times. The Boston Bruins have had the most Norris Trophies winners with 14; the Montreal Canadiens have had the second most with 12.
Only two players have won both the Norris and Hart Memorial Trophy for the league Most Valuable Player in the same season: Bobby Orr, who won both trophies in the 1969–70, 1970–71 and 1971–72 seasons, and Chris Pronger, who won the Hart and Norris in the 1999–2000 NHL season.
Six different defensemen won the Hart Trophy before the Norris Trophy's establishment: Herb Gardiner, Eddie Shore (four times), Albert "Babe" Siebert, Ebbie Goodfellow, Tommy Anderson and Babe Pratt.
The voting is conducted at the end of the regular season by members of the Professional Hockey Writers Association, and each individual voter ranks their top five candidates on a 10–7–5–3–1 point(s) system. Three finalists are named and the trophy is awarded at the NHL awards ceremony after the conclusion of the playoffs.
- James Norris Memorial Trophy history at NHL.com
- James Norris Memorial Trophy history at Legends of Hockey.net
- "James Norris Memorial Trophy history". NHL.com. Retrieved 2007-08-16.
- "James Norris Memorial Trophy history". canadianencyclopedia.com. Retrieved 2007-08-16.
- "Blues trade Chris Pronger to Edmonton for three players including Brewer". NHL.com. Archived from the original on 27 April 2006. Retrieved 2007-08-16.
- "Hart Memorial Trophy history". NHL.com. Retrieved 2007-08-16.
- Dolezar, Jon (2003-04-20). "Foppa shows the most Hart". SI.com. Retrieved 2007-08-17.