|Toronto City Councillor for Ward 6 (York Centre)|
|Assumed office |
December 1, 2018
|Preceded by||new ward|
|Toronto City Councillor for Ward 10|
December 1, 2010 – November 3, 2018
|Preceded by||Mike Feldman|
|Succeeded by||ward dissolved|
|Toronto Public School Trustee for (Ward 5) York Centre|
December 1, 2006 – November 30, 2010
|Preceded by||Shane Manikowsky|
|Succeeded by||Howard Kaplan|
|Born||February 15, 1959|
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
James Pasternak (listen) (Born February 15, 1959) is a Canadian politician, who was elected to Toronto City Council in the 2010 city council election to succeed Mike Feldman in Ward 10. He was previously a Toronto District School Board Trustee. Pasternak is a graduate of York University he also has degrees from the University of Western Ontario and the London School of Economics and Political Science.
"Israel apartheid" debate
Councillor Pasternak has played a prominent role in the debate around whether Toronto Pride should ban the Queers Against Israeli Apartheid group participating in the annual Toronto Pride celebrations. Specifically, Pasternak introduced a motion that directed City Manager Joe Pennachetti to update Toronto’s anti-discrimination policy and to determine whether including QAIA in Pride events violated the anti-discrimination policy. James said "My intent is to block the funding on June 6 and wait until after the parade to make sure they [QuAIA] didn’t march. We believe that QuAIA is not there to support the Palestinian people; it’s there to bully and demonize Israel, its supporters and the Jewish community." The following year, in 2013, James Pasternak continued to lead the effort to de-fund Toronto Pride over the use of the term Israel apartheid by its participating members.
Pasternak has been prominent in opposing the staging of annual Al-Quds Day demonstrations on city property, in particular the north lawn of Queen's Park which is a city park, after the event was evicted from the provincially owned south lawn.
|2018 Toronto election, Ward 6|
|2014 Toronto election, Ward 10|
|2010 Toronto election, Ward 10|
|Magda Gondor Berkovits||935||5.67%|
|2006 Toronto District School Board election, Ward 5|
- "James Pasternak Official Facebook Page" Toronto Star, November 22, 2010.
- "Changed council faces new mayor". Toronto Star, October 25, 2010.
- James Pasternak's Official Campaign Site
- Make Pride Parade funding contingent on non-participation of QuAIA, Pasternak says, MAY 29, 2012, Jewish Tribune
- Israeli Apartheid out, QuAIA in – and funded, June 11, 2012, Jewish Tribune.
- Council delays report on 'Israeli apartheid' March 19, 2013, Xtra
- City of Toronto elections results 2014
- City of Toronto elections page Archived 2010-10-26 at the Wayback Machine
- City of Toronto elections page