James Paterson (Australian politician)
|Senator for Victoria|
|Assumed office |
9 March 2016
|Preceded by||Michael Ronaldson|
James William Paterson
21 November 1987
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
|Political party||Liberal Party|
|Alma mater||University of Melbourne|
Educated at McKinnon Secondary College and the University of Melbourne, Paterson worked as a special adviser for Senator Mitch Fifield, and for several months as an intern for U.S. congressman Lincoln Díaz-Balart. He then worked as a writer for the Victorian Employers' Chamber of Commerce and Industry (VECCI) before joining the Institute of Public Affairs (IPA) as editor of the IPA Review publication. In the IPA, Paterson was promoted to director of communications and development, before being promoted to deputy executive director in September 2014.
In March 2016, the Victorian division of the Liberal Party of Australia nominated Paterson to fill the casual vacancy in the Senate caused by the resignation of Michael Ronaldson. Paterson was appointed by a joint sitting of the Parliament of Victoria on 9 March 2016.
In August 2017, Paterson described himself as a "conditional" supporter of same-sex marriage, and during the Australian Marriage Law Postal Survey he drafted a same-sex marriage bill as an alternative to one proposed by Senator Dean Smith. He would later back down from putting up a bill.
- "About Senator Paterson". senatorpaterson.com.au. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "Panelist: James Paterson". Q&A. ABC. Retrieved 9 March 2016.
- "People: James Paterson". Institute of Public Affairs. Retrieved 9 March 2016.
- "Michaelia Cash backs talent over gender in preselection, as Paterson is promoted over Hume". ABC News. 8 March 2016. Retrieved 9 March 2016.
- "Mr James Paterson was appointed to the @ausenate seat vacated by the Hon Michael Ronaldson". Twitter. @VicParliament. Retrieved 9 March 2016.
- Paterson, James (25 August 2017). "Religion should have a voice on same-sex marriage". The Australian. Retrieved 25 August 2017. (Subscription required (help)).
- Benson, Simon (13 November 2017). "Conservative Libs to offer new gay marriage bill". www.theaustralian.com.au. Retrieved 13 November 2017.
- Parliamentary biography
- Summary of parliamentary voting for Senator James Paterson on TheyVoteForYou.org.au
|This article about a Liberal Party of Australia politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|