||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Full name||Harold James Plaskett|
18 March 1960 |
|FIDE rating||2464 (December 2016)|
|Peak rating||2529 (July 2000)|
He then appeared unsuccessfully several times on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, and drew on these experiences to write a defence of contestant Charles Ingram, who along with two supposed accomplices had been found guilty of cheating to win the £1 million top prize.
This essay led to an article by Bob Woffinden in The Daily Mail of 9 October 2004 – Is The Coughing Major Innocent?, and also prompted a reconsideration of the case in The Guardian Comment is free blog on 17 July 2006 from Jon Ronson – Are the Millionaire three innocent? Woffinden and Ronson had both been initially sceptical.
His collaboration with Woffinden led to the publication of their book - Plaskett´s eleventh - Bad Show: The Quiz, The Cough, The Millionaire Major in January 2015.
Plaskett finally got into the hot seat on a show broadcast on 21 January 2006, becoming the seventh person to reach £125,000 without using any lifeline en route to winning £250,000. He was accompanied by fellow Grandmaster Stuart Conquest.
A Deist, dualist and vitalist, he is also a critic of neo-Darwinian evolutionary theory. Married in 1995 to writer Fiona Pitt-Kethley, they have a son, Alexander, born 1996, and live in Cartagena, Spain.
- Plaskett, James; Keene, Raymond; Tisdall, Jon (1987). The English Defence. Batsford. ISBN 978-0-7134-1322-9.
- Plaskett, James (1988). Playing to Win. Rowman Littlefield. ISBN 978-0-7134-5844-2.
- Plaskett, James (1997). The Sicilian Taimanov. Everyman Chess. ISBN 978-1-901259-01-8.
- Plaskett, James (2000). Sicilian Grand Prix Attack. Everyman Chess. ISBN 978-1-85744-291-5.
- Plaskett, James (2000). Coincidences. Tamworth Press. ISBN 978-0-9509441-6-6.
- Plaskett, James (2002). Can You Be a Tactical Chess Genius?. Everyman Chess. ISBN 978-1-85744-259-5.
- Plaskett, James (2004). The Scandinavian Defence. ISBN 0-7134-8911-1.
- Plaskett, James (2004). Starting Out: Attacking Play. Everyman Chess. ISBN 978-1-85744-367-7.
- Plaskett, James (2005). Catastrophe In The Opening. Everyman Chess. ISBN 978-1-85744-390-5.
- Plaskett, James (2005). The Queen's Bishop Attack Revealed. Batsford. ISBN 978-0-7134-8970-5.
- Plaskett, James, Woffinden, Bob (2015) Bad Show. Bojangles Books:ISBN 978-0-9930-7552-0; ebook: ISBN 9780993075537
- "British Champions 1904 – present « The English Chess Federation". www.englishchess.org.uk. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- Administrator. "Plaskett, H James FIDE Chess Profile - Players Arbiters Trainers". ratings.fide.com. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- School of the Black And Red-A History of Bedford Modern School, by Andrew Underwood (1981); reset and updated by Peter Boon, Paul Middleton and Richard Wildman (2010)
- "Institut Virtuel de Cryptozoologie". perso.orange.fr. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "James Plaskett almost became a millionaire". 2006-02-10. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "IS THE COUGHING MAJOR INNOCENT? AND NOW FOR THE [Pounds sterling]1MILLION, AN INTRIGUING - AND DISTURBING - QUESTION . . . SPECIAL INVESTIGATION". 2004-10-09.
- "Comment, opinion and discussion from the Guardian US". the Guardian. Retrieved 2016-07-09.