James Reid (actor)
Reid on 23 May 2016
Robert James Marquinez Reid
11 May 1993
|Residence||Metro Manila, Philippines|
|Years active||2010– Present|
Viva Artists Agency
Robert James Marquinez Reid (born 11 May 1993), professionally known as James Reid, is a Filipino-Australian actor, singer, songwriter, dancer, record producer, and model. He began his professional acting career in the early 2010s after being named as Big Winner of Pinoy Big Brother: Teen Clash 2010. He then rose to prominence for his leading role in the film Diary ng Panget (2014). Reid has since starred in Philippines movies, such as Talk Back and You're Dead (2014), Para sa Hopeless Romantic (2015), This Time (2016) and Never Not Love You (2018). He also starred in the Philippine TV series Good Vibes (2011), On the Wings of Love (2015–16), and Till I Met You (2016–17).
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Influences
- 5 Discography
- 6 Filmography
- 7 Awards and nominations
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Reid was born as Robert James Marquinez Reid in Sydney, Australia, on 11 May 1993 to an Australian father and a Filipino mother. His parents separated when he was two years old, and Reid lived in Australia until he was fifteen. With his father, Reid moved to the Philippines due to financial issues. Reid has stated before that he found it difficult to adjust to his new life in the Philippines, especially due to the different academic and social skills required, as well as language difficulties. Back in Australia, he was a gymnast and swimmer. He was enrolled in Makati Science High School, but his father enrolled him in Karabar High School Distance Education Centre, an Australian distance-learning center located in Karabar, New South Wales, Australia.
2010: "Pinoy Big Brother"
Reid was only 17 years old when he entered the Pinoy Big Brother house as one of the 10 Teenternational housemates on 30 April 2010 (Day 22). He celebrated his 17th birthday inside the house with his co-teenternational housemates giving him a surprise pool party. Reid was the only teenternational housemate who had Filipino blood. Reid was almost evicted twice during his stay inside the house. The first one occurred on 21 May 2010 (Day 43) when Reid was brought to the hospital due to chest pains, discoloration, and shortness of breath while the second one happened on 1 June 2010 (Day 53), when he was again brought to the hospital for the same health issues but this time together with fellow housemate Angelo Pasco. At first the doctors diagnosed Reid with costrochondritis (muscle pains in the rib/chest area) but during his second visit at the hospital the doctors found a hole in one of his lungs that is causing him difficulties in his breathing. After the complications, Reid was able to return to the Big Brother House, with conditions of having to rest frequently as well as wearing an oxygen tube for 1 week 24/7. One 8 June 2010 (Day 60), Reid was notified by the producers of Big Brother that he was no longer required to use the oxygen tube, he was only required to use it when he is sleeping.
On 26 June 2010 (Day 78), he was crowned as the Pinoy Big Brother: Teen Clash 2010 Big Winner after receiving 179, 294 (19.75%) of the total votes just 1.05% ahead of the total votes received by the 2nd Teen Big Placer, Ryan Bang who got 169, 697 (18.70%) of the total votes, these marks as the closest race ever to become the Big Winner in the history of Pinoy Big Brother. As the Big Winner, Reid won P1,000,000 (plus the same amount to his chosen charity) from Jack n' Jill, a laptop computer from Sony Vaio, a 42-inch flat screen TV from Sony Bravia, an Asian tour package for two care of Von Dutch, P1,500,000 worth of bottled purified water business from Crystal Clear, and a condominium unit worth P3,000,000 courtesy of Globe Asiatique.
2011—2013: Career beginnings, Solo musical career
On 24 July 2011, Reid together with Bret Jackson launched their first digital EP entitled We Are Whatever on ASAP Rocks. Reid and Jackson featured four original songs including "Can't dance" featuring their co-housemates Ann Li and Fretzie Bercede.
Right after winning PBB, Reid was paired with his co-housemate Devon Seron in some ABS-CBN shows like Shoutout! and Good Vibes. He was offered a 2-year Star Magic contract with ABS-CBN. He was also paired with Yen Santos in Pintada.
In 2012, Reid left Star Magic and signed with Viva Artists Agency. A year later, he launched his self-titled debut album, with two covers and four original songs, two of which composed by Reid himself.
2014: Diary ng Panget and breakthrough success
In 2014, he starred in his launching movie Diary ng Panget together with Nadine Lustre, Yassi Pressman and Andre Paras. The movie was released on 2 April 2014 and became a box-office hit earning at least 119.5 million pesos during its 4-week run. He also lent his voice to the official soundtrack of the film.
On 2 June 2014, it was confirmed that he and Lustre would star in another film titled Talk Back and You're Dead together with Yassi Pressman and Joseph Marco. The film is also based on the best-selling book of the same name by Alesana Marie. The movie will be co-produced by Viva Films and Skylight Films. During its 4-week run the movie has grossed 79.8 million pesos according to Box Office Mojo. Just like in his previous film, he also lent his voice to the official soundtrack of the film.
On 22 October 2014, it was announced that he and Lustre will do another movie entitled Para sa Hopeless Romantic together with Julia Barretto, Iñigo Pascual, AJ Muhlach and Shy Carlos. The movie is based on a book written by Marcelo Santos III and will be under Viva Films and Skylight Films.
On 26 August 2014, Reid signed a two-year contract with ABS-CBN that marked his exclusivity to the network again after two years of freelancing and becoming a talent of Viva Artists Agency, as ABS-CBN gave him popularity. As part of the contract, Reid and his onscreen partner Nadine Lustre starred in their first TV series together as a loveteam entitled Wansapanataym Presents: My App #Boyfie which was also based on Wattpad story.
2015—2016: Reid Alert, On The Wings of Love, This Time, and Till I Met You
On 2 January 2015, Reid revealed that he will be releasing his second album within the year. The album will include songs collaborated with Canadian music producer Adam Hurstfield who has written and/or produced for artists such as Ashley Tisdale, Ne-Yo, Aly Michalka, Loverboy, Elise Estrada and many more. On 10 January, Reid's new music video Huwag Ka Nang Humirit composed by Thyro Alfaro and Yumi Lacsamana was premiered in Viva's YouTube channel. After its upload, the music video began trending in social media and went viral in less than a week in the Philippine internet and Blogosphere.
On 21 January 2015, the music video of the song entitled "Hanap Hanap" premiered in MTV Pinoy. The song will as his fourth collaboration with Nadine Lustre after "No Erase", "Rocketeer" and "Bahala Na". It will also be used as the themesong of his upcoming movies with Lustre entitled such as 'Diary Ng Panget' 'Talk Back You're Dead' and 'Para sa Hopeless Romantic.
Reid's second album Reid Alert was released on Valentine's Day of 2015 by Viva Records. It debuted at #2 in Philippine iTunes pop music album charts behind Taylor Swift's 1989. On 28 January 2016, he released "Randomantic", the third single from Reid Alert.
On 20 February 2016, Reid and his on-screen and real life partner, Nadine Lustre, had their first major concert titled "JaDine In Love" at the Smart Araneta Coliseum. Due to the clamor of JaDine fans overseas, Reid and Lustre will be holding a JaDine Love World Tour presented by TFC in March. They will visit Doha, Dubai, London and Milan.
In June 2016, it was announced that Reid and Lustre will be making their small screen comeback through the series, Till I Met You. They will be joined by JC Santos, Angel Aquino, Carmina Villaroel, and Zoren Legaspi.
2017—present: Palm Dreams, MTV EMA Awards, Revolution, and other projects
In March 2017, it was confirmed that Reid's third studio album is entitled Palm Dreams. Reid stated that he wrote the lyrics for most of the tracks alongside long time friend, Paulo Tiongson, who is a rapper and music producer in the Philippines.
James had his first movie, without his onscreen partner Nadine, playing a lead role with Sarah Geromino as his grandmother in a remake of Korean Movie Miss Granny, which was shown in cinemas last August 2018, also starring Xian Lim.
Reid is also set to star in the new Pedro Penduko adaptation under Viva Films. He will be playing a wimpy teen named Peter Harris. The story is based on the re-imagined version written by Regene Estolatan under Epik Studios.But had to withdraw the role due to a spinal injury.
Reid is an avid listener of R&B music, he cites Chris Brown as an early influence for him. He also has a taste in the pop rock and alternative pop genres; he listens to Maroon 5 and The Script with some inspired influence as evident for inclination during his live performances.
|2011||On Thin Ice||Paul Ruiz||Short Film |
(De La Salle University)
|2014||Diary ng Panget||Cross Sandford|
|Talk Back and You're Dead||Timothy "Top" Odelle Pendleton|
|Relaks, It's Just Pag-Ibig||Josh's classmate|
|The Amazing Praybeyt Benjamin||Himself||Cameo role|
|2015||Para sa Hopeless Romantic||Nikko John Borja|
|Beauty and the Bestie||Tristan Adams|
|2016||This Time||Coby Martinez|
|2018||Never Not Love You||Gio Smith|
|Miss Granny||Jeboy "Jebs" Malabaño||Remake of 2014 Korean film|
|2011||Maynila||Alvin||Anthology, Episode: Loving Your Own||GMA Network|
|Good Vibes||Spencer Ziff||ABS-CBN|
|2014||Wansapanataym||Joe||Anthology, Episode: My App #Boyfie|
|2015||Maalaala Mo Kaya||Marrion "Yong" Gopez||Anthology, Episode: Stuffed Toy|
|2015–2016||On the Wings of Love||Clark Medina||Lead role with Nadine Lustre|
|2016–2017||Till I Met You||Sebastian "Basti" Valderama|
|2020||Soulmate||Lead role with Momoland's Nancy|
|2010||Pinoy Big Brother: Teen Clash 2010||Housemate / Big Winner|
|Shoutout!||Host / Performer|
|2014–present||ASAP||Host / Performer||Occasional|
Awards and nominations
- ""Reid Alert" (EP album) on iTunes". iTunes. Viva Records. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- Lo, Ricky (24 March 2019). "Play it again, Sam (Billy & James)". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 2 September 2019.
- Balbuena, Vanessa A. (14 October 2010). "PBB'S Fil-Aussie teen winner James Reid bares story behind move to the Philippines". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 2 September 2019.
- "Fil-Australian James Reid wins Pinoy Big Brother Teen Clash of 2010". Philippine Entertainment Portal. ABS-CBN. 28 June 2010. Retrieved 2 September 2019.
- "James Reid's PBB profile". teens3.pinoybigbrother.com. Archived from the original on 24 October 2014. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "Meet the 10 Teenternational housemates of Pinoy Big Brother Teen Clash of 2010". pep.ph. 5 May 2010. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "PBB'S Fil-Aussie teen winner James Reid bares story behind move to the Philippines". philstar.com. 14 October 2010. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "James Reid wins Pinoy Big Brother Teen Clash of 2010". pep.ph. 27 June 2010. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "James Reid is Pinoy Big Brother Big Winner". manilyntingcang.com. 27 June 2010. Retrieved 12 November 2013.
- "PBB Big Winner James Reid on his victory: I'm still in shocked". abs-cbnnews.com. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "We Are Whatever – EP (2011)". iTunes. Star Records and iTunes. Retrieved 28 June 2016.
- ABS-CBN Corporate Communications (30 July 2011). "PBB's James Reid and Brett Jackson release their first album under Star Records". Push (ABS-CBN). ABS-CBN. Event occurs at 4:04 AM. Retrieved 28 June 2016.
- "We Are Whatever (WAW) – TwitMusic". Archived from the original on 3 September 2014.
- "ABS-CBN "Shoutout!" groups". coolbuster.net. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "Kapamilyalogy: Meet the whole "Shoutout!" cast". kapamilyalogy.blogspot.com. 23 November 2010. Archived from the original on 24 December 2014. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "ABS-CBN Shoutout! Kapamilya". abscbnshoutout.blogspot.com. 16 January 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- ""Shoutout!" aims to train the next generation of stars". pep.ph. 30 November 2010. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "The Cast of 'Good Vibes' 2011". philippineshow.blogspot.com. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "Will James Reid and Devon Seron have their first onscreen kiss on Good Vibes?". pep.ph. 8 July 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "Ex-PBB Teen Clash housemates James Reid, Bret Jackson, and Ivan Dorschner are not in a rush to get their breaks in showbiz". blogphilippines.com. 21 October 2010. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "Young stars make their move in "Good Vibes"". celebrity.yahoo.com. 30 March 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "Devon Seron To Choose Between James Reid Or Ivan Dorschner". entervrexworld.com. 2 August 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "Devon Seron To Finally Choose Between James and Ivan". philstar.com. 7 August 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "Poll Update: James Reid Is Currently The Best Choice For Devon Seron Against Ivan Dorschner For Good Vibes Finale!". entervrexworld.com. 23 August 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "Where is PBB's James Reid now?". abs-cbnnews.com. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "James Reid IMDB Profile". imdb.com. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "James Reid is the new pop heartthrob!". Viva ph. 12 September 2013. Archived from the original on 13 August 2014. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- "PBB winner James Reid records solo album". Viva. 5 July 2013. Archived from the original on 14 July 2014.
- "Main cast of the movie adaption of "Diary ng Panget" revealed". Pinoy Movie. 22 February 2014. Archived from the original on 14 August 2014.
- "Pinoy Big Brother Big Winner stars in viral "Diary ng Panget" trailer". ABS-CBN News and Current Affairs. 22 March 2014.
- "Cast of "Diary ng Panget" are future big stars". Archived from the original on 8 April 2014.
- Ricky Lo (27 March 2014). "Andre & James: Diary ng mga Pogi". Philippine Star.
- "Trailer: 'Diary ng Panget' featuring James Reid and Nadine Lustre". Pinoy Movie. 23 March 2014.
- ""Diary ng Panget" a box office hit". Manila Standard Today. 8 April 2014. Retrieved 31 August 2019.
- "Viva Films' "Diary ng Panget" is now the 3rd highest grossing film in the Philippines for 2014". Dalebacar.com. Retrieved 31 August 2019.
- "Diary ng Panget (Original Movie Soundtrack)". Open.spotify.com. Retrieved 31 August 2019.
- Ruel J.Mendoza (2 June 2014). "James Reid and Nadine Lustre paired anew for the big screen". Philippine Entertainment Portal.
- "Talk Back and You're Dead Philippines Box Office". Box Office Mojo.
- "Bahala Na by James Reid and Nadine Lustre". Viva. 15 August 2014.
- "James Reid, Nadine Lustre, Julia Barretto and Iñigo Pascual to topbill "Para sa Hopeless Romantic"". Philippine Entertainment Portal. 22 October 2014.
- Marsh Abante (22 October 2014). "JaDine 'Para sa Hopeless Romantic'". Viva.
- "Para Sa Hopeless Romantic Trailer". Star Cinema. 28 February 2015.
- "'Diary ng Panget' stars join ABS-CBN". abs-cbnnews.com. 26 August 2014. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- "James Reid and Nadine Lustre deny competing with Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla". push.abs-cbn.com. 26 August 2014. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- "JaDine gets first Kapamilya project". starcinema.abs-cbn.com. 4 September 2014. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "MY APP BOYFIE Full Trailer". youtube.com. 20 September 2014. Retrieved 21 September 2014.
- "My App Boyfie (OT)". abs-cbnnews.com. 1 September 2014. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- "Nadine and James stars on My App Boyfie". Veooz. 1 September 2014. Archived from the original on 4 September 2014. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- "James, itinangging nililigawan ang kapatid ni Kim Chiu". ABS-CBN News and Current Affairs. 2 January 2015.
- "Adam H. Produces 1st single for Australian Superstar James Reid!". XOXO Ent. 10 November 2014.
- "VIRAL: James Reid wows as 'total performer' in music video". ABS-CBN. 16 January 2015.
- "Huwag Ka Nang Humirit". Viva. 9 January 2015.
- "James, Nadine get sweet in 'Hanap-Hanap' music video". ABS-CBN. Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- "ShowbizNest: Music Video: Hanap Hanap by James Reid and Nadine Lustre". ShowbizNest. 22 January 2015. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Randomantic - James Reid (Official Music Video)". OPM Tambayan. 28 January 2016.
- "JaDine fever will never end". Philstar.com. Retrieved 31 August 2019.
- [dead link]
- Kristhoff Cagape (28 June 2016). "James Reid and Nadine Lustre play a married couple in new series". Push.
- "SolGen wants Napoles' extort claim vs De Lima probed". Philstar.com. Retrieved 31 August 2019.
- "It's confirmed: James Reid is the new Pedro Penduko". ABS-CBN News.
- Reyes, Shiela (24 February 2016). "How James asked Nadine to be his girlfriend". ABS-CBN News. Event occurs at 11:22 AM. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Nadine on relationship with James: We've grown". ABS-CBN News. 23 February 2017. Event occurs at 3:13 PM. Retrieved 30 January 2018. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
Pinoy Big Brother: Double Up
| Pinoy Big Brother Big Winner
Pinoy Big Brother: Unlimited
Pinoy Big Brother: Teen Edition Plus
| Pinoy Big Brother: Teen Big Winner
Pinoy Big Brother: Teen Edition 4