James Richardson Logan
James Richardson Logan (b 10 April 1819 Berwickshire, Scotland, d 20 October 1869 Penang, Straits Settlements) was a lawyer who popularised the name Indonesia after it was coined by the English ethnologist George Windsor Earl. He was an editor of the Penang Gazette and a former student of Earl who in 1850 published the term 'Indu-nesians' to describe the peoples of the region. In 1847, while living in Singapore, Logan founded a scholarly periodical, the Journal of the Indian Archipelago and Eastern Asia, and both edited and contributed to the journal until 1862.
Logan died on 20 October 1869 and is buried at the Old Protestant Cemetery in George Town, Malaysia. A marble statue of him stands in the compound of the Penang High Court building. Logan Road is named after him.
- Logan, James Richardson (1850). "The Ethnology of the Indian Archipelago: Embracing Enquiries into the Continental Relations of the Indo-Pacific Islanders". Journal of the Indian Archipelago and Eastern Asia (JIAEA): 4:252–347.; Earl, George S. W. (1850). "On The Leading Characteristics of the Papuan, Australian and Malay-Polynesian Nations". Journal of the Indian Archipelago and Eastern Asia (JIAEA): 254, 277–278.
- The Idea of Indonesia, Cambridge University Press 9780521876483 – The Idea of Indonesia – A History – by R. E. Elson:
- (This term was introduced in 1860 in the influential novel Max Havelaar (1859), written by Multatuli, critical of Dutch colonialism). Justus M. van der Kroef (1951). "The Term Indonesia: Its Origin and Usage". Journal of the American Oriental Society 71 (3):
- Earl, George S. W. (1850). "On The Leading Characteristics of the Papuan, Australian and Malay-Polynesian Nations". Journal of the Indian Archipelago and Eastern Asia (JIAEA): 119.
- Ang, Seow Leng (January 2016). "Logan's Journal". BiblioAsia. National Library Board, Singapore. 11 (4).
- Historical personalities of Penang by Historical Personalities of Penang Committee - Pinang - 1986 - 180 pages, Page 105
- Street Names of Georgetown, Penang