Righton in 2007
|Birth name||James Nicholas Righton|
25 August 1983 |
|Genres||Indie rock, post-punk revival, new rave, neo-psychedelia|
|Labels||Marathon Artists, House Anxiety, Polydor, Geffen|
|Associated acts||Klaxons, Shock Machine|
James Nicholas Righton (born 25 August 1983) is an English musician. As well as singing, he was the keyboard-player of the London-based new rave band Klaxons, disbanded in 2015. In March 2016, Righton announced his new project Shock Machine with a video directed by Saam Farahmand.
Righton was born in Stratford-upon-Avon, England. Righton's father, a musician, encouraged him to be a part of several bands that performed regularly while he was still at Stratford-upon-Avon High School.
While attending the High School at Stratford-upon-Avon, Righton met Simon Taylor-Davis and taught him to play the guitar. While working towards a career as a performer, Righton worked as a music teacher. He attended the Benicassim festival, where he again met Simon Taylor-Davis, and soon after that the two met Jamie Reynolds in New Cross, London. When Reynolds lost his job, he bought a studio kit with his redundancy money. The three men began to record and perform live under the name of "Klaxons (Not Centaurs)", a name inspired by Filippo Tommaso Marinetti's The Futurist Manifesto. In 2005 this band played with Finnigan Kidd as drummer, until Kidd left and Steffan Halperin joined in 2006, Around this time, the band began using the shorter name of "Klaxons".
James Righton signed to Marathon Artists/House Anxiety in 2016 under the moniker, Shock Machine. Righton's new project was announced in March with the release of the video for the first single, Shock Machine, directed by Saam Farahmand. The eponymous introduction to this project was recorded in a cabin in the south of France with producer James Ford. 'Shock Machine' is the first track off the upcoming EP, 'Open Up The Sky'.
In February 2011 Righton began dating actress Keira Knightley and on 4 May 2013 they were married in Mazan, Vaucluse in the south of France. Since early 2014 they have lived in Canonbury, Islington. Their daughter, Edie, was born in May 2015.
- "Klaxons Mercury award winners". Clash. 1 September 2006. Retrieved 4 March 2011.
- Pollock, David (10 October 2006). "Get out your glowsticks". The Independent. Archived from the original on 19 September 2007.
- "Klaxons Announce Final 2015 Tour Before They Disband". Music Times. www.musictimes.com.
- "Sailing the psychedelic seas with Shock Machine". Dazed. www..dazeddigital.com.
- Rolls, Chris (6 April 2007). "The myth and magic of the Klaxons". MP3.com. Archived from the original on 26 September 2007. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- Lawler, Danielle (6 September 2007). "The Klaxons are horn stars". The Sun. London. Retrieved 23 May 2011.
- "Ready to rave?". European Vibe. 2006. Archived from the original on 27 October 2007. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- Abney, Barb (18 April 2007). "MPR: The Klaxons perform in studio". Minnesota Public Radio. Retrieved 23 May 2011.
- "Klaxons feeling a little bit Mercurial". thisislondon.co.uk. Archived from the original on 6 June 2011. Retrieved 23 May 2011.
- Pareles, Jon (15 October 2007). "Pumped Up With an Artsy, Postpunk Jolt of Rave". The New York Times. Retrieved 23 May 2011.
- "Klaxons". Fasterlouder.com.au. Archived from the original on 21 March 2012. Retrieved 23 May 2011.
- MacBain, Hamish (2006). "Interview". Dummy Magazine. Archived from the original on 7 August 2007.
- Singleton, Simon (December 2006). "Q&A Klaxons". FACT. Archived from the original on 19 September 2007.
- Cripps, Charlotte (20 October 2006). "The Klaxons: New noise warning". London: Independent News & Media. ISSN 0951-9467. OCLC 185201487. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- Robinson, Collin (8 March 2016). "Shock Machine – "Shock Machine" Video". Stereogum.
- Reeve, Joe (8 March 2016). "Music Video: Shock Machine - Shock Machine". HUH Magazine.
- Gicas, Peter (25 April 2011). "Keira Knightley's Latest Starring Role: Bridesmaid at Brother's Wedding". E! Online. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- "Keira Knightley weds James Righton in France". Hub 24x7. Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- "Canonbury's celebrity status is confirmed as Keira Knightley moves in". Homes & Property. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- Marc Jackson, It's a girl! Keira Knightley and James Righton 'welcomed a daughter' in May dated 5 June 2015 at dailymail.co.uk