James Robertson (British Army officer)
|40th Colonial Governor of New York|
1780 – 17 April 1783
|Preceded by||William Tryon|
|Succeeded by||Andrew Elliot|
|Died||4 March 1788
He was born in Newbigging, Fife, Scotland where he was baptized on 29 June 1717. He came to the American colonies in 1756 as a Major of the royal American troops. He became a lieutenant colonel in the 55th Regiment of Foot on 8 July 1758. He was for many years barrack master in New York. He was promoted colonel and was the commander of the 60th Regiment of Foot in January 1776. He was commissioned Major General on 1 January 1776. He commanded the 6th brigade at the Battle of Long Island.
He was instrumental in fighting and stopping the fire, which destroyed 500 homes and about 1/4 of Manhattan in September 1776. He returned to England in February 1777. He was appointed civil governor of New York in 1779, and arrived in New York City in March 1780, and was appointed Governor on 23 March 1780. He was made a Lieutenant General on 20 November 1782. He issued a proclamation of Thanksgiving on 14 January 1783.
Leaving for England, Robertson was replaced as commandant of New York City by Major General James Pattison, and as governor by Lt. Gov. Andrew Elliot since 17 April 1783. Robertson died in London on 4 March 1788.
- Ronald W. Howard (ed) The twilight of British rule in revolutionary America: the New York letter book of General James Robertson, 1780–1783, New York State Historical Association, 1983; ISBN 978-0-917334-12-2
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
- Scotland's Mark on America
- Charles Zebina Lincoln, ed. (1909). State of New York: Messages from the governors 1. J.B. Lyon company.
- WH Auden
- Roster of St Andrew's Society of the State of New York
- James Robertson's proclamation
- David Lee Russell (2000). The American Revolution in the Southern colonies. McFarland. ISBN 978-0-7864-0783-5.
- "Historic Home", Lodge Dunearn 400
|Governor of the Province of New York
|This Scottish biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a politician from the state of New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|