James S. A. Corey
|James S. A. Corey|
Franck (left) and Abraham in 2014
|Notable works||Leviathan Wakes in The Expanse series|
James S. A. Corey is the pen name used by collaborators Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck. The first and last name are taken from Abraham's and Franck's middle names, respectively, and S. A. are the initials of Abraham's daughter. The name is also meant to emulate many of the space opera writers of the 1970s. In Germany, their books are published under the name James Corey with the middle initials omitted.
Under that name they wrote Leviathan Wakes (2011), the first science fiction novel in a series called The Expanse. Leviathan Wakes was nominated for the 2012 Hugo Award for Best Novel and the 2012 Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel. Each year the authors release another novel in the series: Caliban's War (2012), Abaddon's Gate (2013), and Cibola Burn (2014). Abaddon's Gate won the Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel. Orbit Books signed Corey to write additional books in the Expanse series to bring the total to nine. The seventh book in the series, Persepolis Rising, was released on December 5, 2017.
As other authors in recent years have done, between each pair of full-length books they published shorter works in the series. The first, a short story entitled The Butcher of Anderson Station: A Story of The Expanse was released as an eBook in October 2011. A 69-page novella, Gods of Risk followed, and was released as an eBook on September 2012. A short story entitled "Drive" was released in November 2012 as a part of the anthology Edge of Infinity. Another novella, The Churn, was released April 29, 2014. All are set in The Expanse series.
They have also written a Star Wars novel, Honor Among Thieves, published by Random House in 2014, and a short story unrelated to The Expanse titled "A Man Without Honor", included in the anthology Old Mars, edited by George R.R. Martin.
The Expanse series
- Leviathan Wakes (June 15, 2011)
- Caliban's War (June 26, 2012)
- Abaddon's Gate (June 4, 2013)
- Cibola Burn, (June 5, 2014)
- Nemesis Games (June 2, 2015)
- Babylon's Ashes (December 6, 2016)
- Persepolis Rising (December 5, 2017)
- Tiamat's Wrath (December, 2018)
- "The Butcher of Anderson Station" (The Expanse short story) (2011)
- Gods of Risk (The Expanse novella) (2012)
- "Drive" (The Expanse short story) (2012)
- The Churn (The Expanse novella) (2014)
- The Vital Abyss (The Expanse novella) (2015)
- Strange Dogs (The Expanse novella) (2017)
- Honor Among Thieves (Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion, book 2) (2014)
- "A Man Without Honor", Old Mars, eds. George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois (2013)
- "Silver and Scarlet" (Star Wars story), Star Wars Insider #148 (2014)
- "The Drones", Popular Science (2015)
- "Rates of Change", Meeting Infinity, ed. Jonathan Strahan (2015)
- "The Hunger After You're Fed", Wired (2016)
- "James S.A. Corey".
- "Evolution of a Space Epic: James S.A. Corey's The Expanse". 27 May 2015.
- "Amazon.de - Leviathan erwacht".
- "sfadb: Hugo Awards 2012". www.sfadb.com. Retrieved 2015-09-05.
- "sfadb: Locus Awards 2012". www.sfadb.com. Retrieved 2015-09-05.
- "James SA Corey - Abaddon's Gate cover art launch, synopsis and release date revealed". Archived from the original on 2012-10-26.
- "sfadb: Locus Awards 2014". www.sfadb.com. Retrieved 2015-09-05.
- "CIBOLA BURN is available now and a big announcement!".
- "Amazon.com - Persepolis Rising".
- "New Expanse Novella by James S.A. Corey, Gods of Risk to be published on 15th September". Archived from the original on 2012-09-10.
- "Goodreads.com - Edge Of Infinity".
- ""The Churn": An Expanse Novella by James S.A. Corey, by Carl V. Anderson". 2 May 2014. Retrieved 2 May 2014.
- "Georgerrmartin.com - Old Mars".