James S. Tisch
|James S. Tisch|
January 2, 1953 |
Atlantic City, New Jersey
|Residence||Southampton, New York|
|Education||B.A. Cornell University
M.B.A University of Pennsylvania
|Known for||CEO of Loews Corporation|
|Children||Jessica Sarah Tisch
Benjamin Jacob Tisch
Samuel Aaron Tisch
|Parent(s)||Wilma "Billie" Stein
|Family||Andrew Tisch (brother)
Daniel Tisch (brother)
Thomas J. Tisch (brother)
James S. Tisch (born January 2, 1953) has been the CEO of Loews Corporation since 1999.
Early life and education
He was born in 1953 in Atlantic City, New Jersey to Wilma "Billie" Stein and Laurence Tisch. His father was co-chairman of Loews Corporation along with his uncle Preston Robert Tisch. James graduated from Cornell University and received his MBA at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
Tisch's other positions include a seat in the directorate of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, the chairmanship of WNET, membership in the Council on Foreign Relations, and seats on the boards of General Electric, Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, and the New York Public Library.
Philanthropy and political donations
James and wife Merryl donated $40 million to establish The Tisch Cancer Institute, a state-of-the-art, patient-oriented comprehensive cancer care and research facility at the Mount Sinai Hospital, New York.
Tisch is married to Merryl (née Hiat) Tisch. She is a member of the New York State Board of Regents and the chairwoman of the board of the Metropolitan Council on Jewish Poverty. They have three children:
- Jessica Sarah Tisch (born 1981) - earned law and business degrees from Harvard University in three years and works in the counterterrorism bureau of the New York City Police Department. In 2006, she married Daniel Zachary Levine in a ceremony officiated by her maternal grandfather, Rabbi Philip Hiat, at the Central Synagogue in Manhattan.
- Benjamin Jacob Tisch (born 1983) - worked for the hedge fund Fortress Investment and then as a portfolio manager in the investment department of the Loews Corporation. In 2011, he married Daniela Weber in a ceremony officiated by Hiat at the Central Synagogue in Manhattan.
- Samuel Aaron Tisch (born 1985) works for Citigroup and in 2013, he married Eliana Bavli in a ceremony presided over by Hiat at the Park Avenue Armory in Manhattan.
- "James S. Tisch, WG '76". Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. Retrieved January 18, 2015.
- Mount Sinai: Dean's Quarterly
- The Tablet: "Withholding: A review of 175 major Jewish Republican donors shows that many who gave in the 2008 primary have yet to pony up for a GOP candidate. Why the wait?" By Allison Hoffman January 25, 2012
- New York Times: "Blunt Talk by Regents Chief for City’s Schools" By FERNANDA SANTOS December 6, 2011
- New York Times: Weddings: "Jessica Tisch and Daniel Levine" November 19, 2006
- New York State Board of Regents: MEMBERS OF THE BOARD OF REGENTS: Merryl H. Tisch, Chancellor retrieved June 7, 2012
- New York Times: "Advancing Education, Through Work Ethic and Connections" by LISA W. FODERARO April 4, 2009
- New York Times: "Daniela Weber and Benjamin Tisch" November 20, 2011
- New York Times: "Eliana Bavli and Samuel Tisch" February 24, 2013
- Daily Mail: "Billionaire Lane: From fashion designers to real estate tycoons and Wall Street financiers. Meet those who live on the East Coast's most exclusive 5-mile stretch with a private beach and helipad" By CHARLENE ADAMS May 23, 2015