James Smith (footballer, born 1985)
Smith playing for Altrincham in 2010
|Full name||James Smith|
|Date of birth||17 October 1985|
|Place of birth||Liverpool, England|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|2007||→ Ross County (loan)||8||(0)|
|2007||→ Stockport County (loan)||11||(0)|
|2014||→A.F.C. Telford United (loan)||1||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 11:27, 9 April 2014 (UTC).
James Smith (born 17 October 1985) is an English footballer who played for Southport, Altrincham, Stockport County and Telford United as a defender. He made over 30 appearances in the Scottish Football League and the Football League.
Born in Liverpool, Merseyside, Smith signed his first professional contract with Liverpool in 2005 after coming through from the club's academy. He made his debut and only senior appearance for the club in a League Cup tie against Reading in October 2006 before joining Scottish Football League club Ross County in January 2007 on loan for the remainder of the 2006–07 season, where he made nine league and cup appearances. He joined Stockport County on loan at the beginning of the 2007–08 season and then joined the club on a permanent basis in December 2007 until the end of the season. He made 30 appearances for Stockport County in the 2007–08 season, helping the club to victory over Rochdale in the League Two play-off final in May 2008 and to promotion to League One. He was released after rejecting County's offer of an improved contract.
He signed for Altrincham on 7 November 2008 after a successful trial with the club. On 7 July 2011 Smith signed for Southport and made his competitive club debut on 13 August 2011 on the first day of the 2011-12 season.
After a successful first season with the Conference Premier club, Smith was appointed vice-captain for the 2012/13 season.
It was announced on 25 March 2014 Smith would join his former manager Liam Watson on loan until the end of the season at AFC Telford United to help them win promotion back to the Conference Premier.
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2008). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2008–09. Mainstream Publishing. p. 384. ISBN 978-1-84596-324-8.
- "James Smith". Profile. Liverpool F.C. Archived from the original on 11 February 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-14.
- "James Smith". Profile. Stockport County F.C. Archived from the original on 12 May 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-14.
- "Ross County loan deals for stars". BBC Sport. 2007-01-08. Retrieved 2008-06-14.
- "Games played by James Smith in 2006/2007". Soccerbase. Racing Post. Retrieved 2008-06-14.
- "Stockport land duo on loan deals". BBC Sport. 2007-07-09. Retrieved 2008-06-14.
- "Smith joins Stockport". Sky Sports. 2007-12-29. Retrieved 2008-06-14.
- "Games played by James Smith in 2007/2008". Soccerbase. Racing Post. Retrieved 2008-06-14.
- Fletcher, Paul (2008-05-26). "Stockport 3-2 Rochdale". BBC Sport. Retrieved 2008-06-14.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 14 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-07-10.
- "Southport 2-2 Lincoln City". BBC Sport. 13 August 2011. Retrieved 14 August 2011.