James Spencer (footballer, born 1991)
|Full name||James Christopher Spencer|
|Date of birth||13 December 1991|
|Place of birth||Leeds, England|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|2010||→ Northwich Victoria (loan)||7||(1)|
|2010–2011||→ Morecambe (loan)||32||(8)|
|2011–2012||→ Cheltenham Town (loan)||41||(10)|
|2012||→ Brentford (loan)||2||(0)|
|2013||→ Crawley Town (loan)||0||(0)|
|2013||→ Scunthorpe United (loan)||13||(1)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 20:59, 26 October 2015 (UTC).
Early career & loan spells
Spencer originally joined the academy as a seven-year-old in 1998 and progressed though the club's youth system. He was first offered professional terms with the club during the 2009–10 season after being loaned out to Northwich Victoria.
Spencer was then loaned out to Football League Two side Morecambe. Originally a six-month deal, it was extended to a season-long loan in the January transfer window. He made 32 league appearances, scoring eight goals. He signed a new two-year deal at The Galpharm Stadium in May 2011.
On 22 July, Huddersfield Town confirmed that he was set to join League Two side Cheltenham Town on a half-season loan for the 2011–12 season. He scored six goals in 18 matches and an agreement was reached on 28 December 2011, for him to remain on loan for the rest of the season.
Huddersfield Return 2012–13
Spencer made his Huddersfield Town first team début in the League Cup first round 2–0 away defeat at Preston North End on 13 August 2012 playing 75 minutes on his début before being replaced by more experienced striker Alan Lee. He made his league début in the 1–0 defeat by Cardiff City at the Cardiff City Stadium on 17 August, as a late substitute. Spencer signed a one-year contract extension, tying him to the club until 2014 in August 2012.
On 10 January 2013, he joined League One side Crawley Town on loan for the remainder of the season, but his loan was cancelled on 6 February, after he failed to shake off a knee injury, which meant he made no appearances for the Red Devils.
On 22 August 2013, Spencer joined Football League Two side Scunthorpe United on loan until 5 January 2014. The loan was ended on 30 December by the new Iron manager Russ Wilcox. His only goal in his 13 appearances for the club came in the 4–0 win over Rochdale at Spotland on 26 November.
On 31 January 2014, Spencer left Huddersfield after having his contract terminated.
- "The Football League Limited: Club list of registered players as at 16th May 2015" (PDF). The Football League. 16 May 2015. p. 52. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- Huddersfield Town | Team | First Team | James Spencer
- Terrier Bytes 15 July 2010
- Sky Sports http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11740_6937212,00.html. Missing or empty
- "SPENCER SET FOR CHELTENHAM LOAN". htafc.com. 22 July 2011. Archived from the original on 2012-04-06. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- "Cheltenham Town keep Huddersfield Town's Jimmy Spencer". BBC Sport. 28 December 2011. Retrieved 28 December 2011.
- BBC Sport - Preston 2-0 Huddersfield
- BBC Sport - Cardiff 1-0 Huddersfield
- BBC Sport - Huddersfield Town striker James Spencer extends deal
- "Spencer Joins On Loan". scunthorpe-united.co.uk. 22 August 2013.
- "Jimmy Spencer Signs For Notts County". Notts County FC. 3 February 2014.
- "Jimmy Spencer Signs New Deal At Notts County". Notts County FC. 14 May 2014.