James Steuart of Coltness
|James Steuart of Coltness|
Portrait of Steuart by David Scougall (c. 1658)
|Lord Provost of Edinburgh|
|Preceded by||Sir Andrew Ramsay, Lord Abbotshall|
|Succeeded by||Robert Murray|
|Commissioner for Edinburgh|
|Preceded by||Sir John Smyth|
|Succeeded by||Samuel Desborrow|
|Lord Provost of Edinburgh|
|Preceded by||Sir Archibald Tod|
|Succeeded by||Sir Archibald Tod|
|Died||31 March 1681|
(m. 1630; her death 1646)
Marion McCulloch Elliott
|Children||Sir James Steuart
Sir Robert Steuart, Bt.
|Occupation||Merchant, banker, landowner, politician|
He was a merchant and banker in Edinburgh, acquired a large fortune, then acquired the estates of Kirkfield (from Sir John Somerville of Cambusnethan) and Coldness (from Sir John Hamilton of Edston), both in Lanarkshire, in 1653.
Steuart served as Lord Provost of Edinburgh in 1649, Commissioner for Edinburgh to the Parliament of Scotland from 1649 to 1650, and Lord Provost again in 1659. For a period of time, he was the Collector of Excise and Accountant-General for the Scottish Army.
- Sir Thomas Steuart, 1st Baronet of Coltness (1631–1698)
- Sir James Steuart of Goodtrees (1635–1713)
- William Steuart (1640–1700)
- Sir Robert Steuart, 1st Baronet of Allanbank (1643–1707)
- Marion Steuart (1645–1706), who married John Maxwell (1648–1732)
Sir James Steuart' died on 31 March 1681.
- "Sir James Steuart of Coltness (1608–1681), Lord Provost of Edinburgh (1648–1650 & 1658–1660) | Art UK | Discover Artworks Sir James Steuart of Coltness (1608–1681), Lord Provost of Edinburgh (1648–1650 & 1658–1660)". artuk.org. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- "Sir James Steuart of Coltness". collections.ed.ac.uk. University of Edinburgh. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- "James Steuart [Stewart] b. 1608 d. 1681: MacFarlane Clan & Families Genealogy". clanmacfarlanegenealogy.info. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- Taylor, W. L. (December 1957). "A SHORT LIFE OF SIR JAMES STEUART: POLITICAL ECONOMIST". wiley.com. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- Anderson, William (1863). The Scottish Nation: Or The Surnames, Families, Literature, Honours, and Biographical History of the People of Scotland, Volume 3. p. 509.
- Matthew H.C.G., editor, Dictionary of National Biography on CD-ROM (Oxford, U.K.: Oxford University Press, 1995). Hereinafter cited as Dictionary of National Biography.
- "Person Page - Sir James Steuart of Coltness". www.thepeerage.com. The Peerage. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- "University of Edinburgh Archive and Manuscript Collections | Special Collections | Coltness Papers". archives.collections.ed.ac.uk. University of Edinburgh. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- Calderwood, Margaret Steuart (1884). Letters and Journals of Mrs. Calderwood of Polton: From England, Holland and the Low Countries in 1756. D. Douglas. Retrieved 28 January 2017.