James Strong (director)
James Strong is a British television and film director and writer, best known for his work on Broadchurch for which he was BAFTA-nominated for Best Director Fiction 2015. He trained at Granada TV and has directed episodes of the shows Holby City and Doctors, as well as seven episodes of Doctor Who and two episodes of its spin-off series Torchwood. His work on the Doctor Who episode "Voyage of the Damned" won him a BAFTA Cymru award for Best Director in 2008.
In 2007, he directed the autobiographical documentary Elton John: Me, Myself & I and in 2008 he directed three episodes of Bonekickers. He then directed Hunted and Best Possible Taste: The Kenny Everett Story and Silent Witness in 2010 followed by the feature film United and Downton Abbey in 2011. He was lead director and associate producer on Broadchurch, which won six BAFTAs including Best Drama.
Strong followed this with work on Series 2 of Broadchurch, the US remake Gracepoint in 2013 and other US pilots, including Kingmakers for ABC in 2015 and Drew in 2016. He also directed episodes of the Stephen King adaptation and J.J. Abrams produced 11.22.63.
In 2017 he directed and executive produced "Liar" for ITV and AMC. He is directing “Vanity Fair “ for ITV and Amazon Studios. He is then set to direct a J.R.R. Tolkien biopic entitled ‘Middle Earth'.
- Various episodes (2000–2001)
- Holby City
- Various episodes (2002–2005)
- Doctor Who
- Silent Witness
- The Prodigal (2011)
- United (2011)
- Broadchurch (2013)
- 5 episodes
- The Great Train Robbery (2013)
- From There to Here (2014)
- Code of a Killer (2014)
- 2 episodes
- Gracepoint (2014)
- "Episode One"
- "Episode Two"
- "Episode Four"
- "Episode Five"
- Drew (2016)
- 11.22.63 (2015)
- "Episode Three"
- "Episode Four"
- "BAFTA Cymru 2008 Winners" (PDF). The British Academy of Film and Television Arts in Wales. 27 April 2008.
- "James Strong Set To Direct J.R.R. Tolkien Biopic 'Middle Earth;' Bob Shaye, Michael Lynne Producing". 7 November 2016.
- Doctor Who Magazine. Royal Tunbridge Wells, Kent: Panini Comics (401). 16 October 2008. Missing or empty
- "'Broadchurch' Director James Strong To Helm BBC One's 'From There To Here'". tvwise.co.uk. 25 August 2013. Retrieved 2013-08-28.
- "James Strong to direct Code of a Killer (Upcoming ITV drama)". ITV Media (ITV plc.). Archived from the original on 19 May 2014. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
|This biographical article related to British television is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|