James T. Austin
|James Trecothick Austin|
|Preceded by||Perez Morton|
John H. Clifford|
(From 1849; Office Abolished from 1843–1849)
|Suffolk County, Massachusetts|
1812 – 1832
January 7, 1784|
May 8, 1870 (aged 86)|
|Political party||Anti-Federalist, National Republican Party|
|Children||Ivers James Austin, born February 14, 1808, d June 11, 1889; Marie Cornelia Ritchie Austin, b. March 8, 1821, d, December 6, 1864.|
James Trecothick Austin (January 7, 1784 – May 8, 1870) was the 22nd Massachusetts Attorney General. Austin was the son of Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth, and Treasurer and Receiver-General of Massachusetts Jonathan L. Austin. He was elected a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1824.
Austin married Catharine Gerry, the eldest daughter of Elbridge Gerry, they had a son, Ivers James Austin, born February 14, 1808, and a daughter, Marie Cornelia Ritchie Austin, born on March 8, 1821.
- The Life of Elbridge Gerry, with Contemporary Letters to the Close of the American Revolution. 2 Volumes, (1827–1829).
- Wilson, James Grant (1888), "Appletons' Cyclopedia of American Biography, Vol. I., Aaron-Crandall", D. APPLETON AND COMPANY, New York, N.Y., p. 120.
- Larned, Josephus Nelson (1902), "The Literature of American History: a Bibliographical guide", Houghton, Mifflin & CO., Boston, Ma, p. 157.
- Massachusetts Historical Society (1907), "Proceedings of the Massachusetts Historical Society Second Series, Vol. XX", Massachusetts Historical Society, Boston, Massachusetts, p. 499.
- White, James Terry White, "The National cyclopaedia of American biography: being the history of the United States as Illustrated in the lives of the Founders, Builders, and Defenders of the Republic, and of the men and women who are Doing the Work and Moulding the thought of the Present Time, Volume XXII", James T. White & Company, New York, N.Y., p. 209.
- Dwight, Benjamin Woodbridge (1871), "The History of the Descendants of Elder John Strong, of Northampton, Mass., Volume II.", Joel Munsell, Albany, N.Y., p. 1206.
- Linzee, John William (1917), "The Linzee Family of Great Britain and the United States of America and The Allied Families, Volume II.", John William Linzee, Boston, Massachusetts, p. 768.
- "Book of Members, 1780–2010: Chapter A" (PDF). American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved April 27, 2011.
- Dwight, Benjamin Woodbridge (1871), The History of the Descendants of Elder John Strong, of Northampton, Mass., Volume II., Albany, N.Y.: Joel Munsell, p. 1206.
- Linzee, John William (1917), The Linzee families of Great Britain and the United States of America and The Allied Families, Volume II., Boston, Massachusetts: John William Linzee, p. 768.
- Wilson, James Grant (1888), Appletons' Cyclopedia of American Biography, Vol. I., Aaron-Crandall, New York, N.Y.: D. APPLETON AND COMPANY, p. 120.
| 22nd Attorney General of Massachusetts
John H. Clifford