James Veitch (comedian)
|Alma mater||Sarah Lawrence College|
University of Aberdeen
James Veitch (//) is an English comedian. He has mostly been known for his interactions with the authors of scam emails (known as scam baiting) using slideshows and video effects. In September 2020, Veitch was the subject of more than a dozen allegations of rape and sexual assault.
Veitch worked as a film editor on the 2006 film Papa Joe and as a digital intermediate conform artist on the 2008 movie Middle of Nowhere. Veitch's first solo comedy show, "The Fundamental Interconnectedness of Everyone with an Internet Connection", was launched at Brighton Fringe in May 2014 as part of the arts industry showcase WINDOW. The show ran in August at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. "The Fundamental Interconnectedness of Everyone with an Internet Connection" concerned scam emails, Veitch's humorous responses to them, and the nature of the Internet. The show was described by the Sunday Herald as "Topically brilliant comedy. Tears-down-the-face funny," and by The Scotsman as containing "Near-constant belly laughs".
He has made two appearances on the talk show Conan. Veitch recorded three TED talks in 2015 and 2016. One chronicles Veitch's encounter with a supermarket chain's marketing emails, and the other two are about scam emails. Veitch also presented the Mashable video series "Scamalot" on YouTube. A Pleasance Courtyard performance in 2015 received praise from The Independent's Alice Jones, who stated that "Veitch has found a nerdy niche with his comic lectures about modern technology". In 2018, he starred in the Melbourne International Comedy Festival (Allstars Supershow). Veitch was a guest presenter on the live trivia gameshow HQ Trivia. In 2019, Veitch was the host of that year's Britannia Awards. He hosts a humorous investigative journalism series on BBC Radio 4 called James Veitch's Contractual Obligation. In August 2020, his comedy special, James Veitch: Straight to VHS, was released on HBO Max.
On 1 September 2020, more than a dozen women who attended Sarah Lawrence College with Veitch came forward with allegations against him ranging from emotional abuse to rape. Veitch declined to comment on the allegations when contacted by Hollywood Reporter, "but a source close to him says he denies all allegations." HBO subsequently removed his comedy special from its streaming platform. Veitch was dropped by his agent and edited out of a Quibi show he was set to host. Though the BBC initially decided to retain Contractual Obligation on BBC Sounds, it was removed in early September.
- Masters, Kim (1 September 2020). "Sarah Lawrence Alums Allege Rape Against Comedian James Veitch". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 1 September 2020.
- Harrison, Ellie (2 September 2020). "HBO Max pulls James Veitch comedy amid rape allegations". The Independent. Retrieved 5 September 2020.
- Papa Joe — Full Cast & Crew. IMDb
- Middle of Nowhere — Full Cast & Crew. IMDb
- "The Fundamental Interconnectedness of Everyone with an Internet Connection listing on Broadway Baby". broadwaybaby.com.
- "Brighton Fringe 2014 programme launch and an early doors selection".
- Blumenthal, Deborah (22 July 2010). "BWW Features: James Veitch & Site Specific Theatre". Broadway World. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "James Veitch: The Fundamental Interconnectedness of Everyone with an Internet Connection". Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- "James Veitch Gilded Balloon: Turret Until Aug 25 Four stars". The Sunday Herald. 17 August 2014. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- Gray, Martin (13 August 2014). "James Veitch: The Fundamental Interconnectedness of Everyone with an Internet Connection". The Scotsman. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- "James Veitch's Elaborate Wrong Number Prank". teamcoco.com. Retrieved 29 June 2018.
- "James Veitch Is A Terrible Roommate". teamcoco.com. Retrieved 29 June 2018.
- "James Veitch Keynote Speaker". WME Speakers. Retrieved 22 February 2019.
- The agony of trying to unsubscribe. TEDSummit June 2016.
- This is what happens when you reply to spam email. TEDGlobal Geneva December 2015.
- More adventures in replying to spam. TEDSummit 2016.
- "Man hilariously responds to stranger's totally legit $9 million inheritance offer". Mashable. 29 July 2016. Retrieved 11 October 2020.
- Jones, Alice (11 August 2015). "Nervy nerd's love story has a bit of byte". The Independent. p. 39. Retrieved 29 May 2021.
- Melbourne International Comedy Festival. Allstars Supershow (2018) — Full Cast & Crew. IMDb.
- "2019 Britannia Awards". www.bafta.org. 26 October 2019.
- "James Veitch's Contractual Obligation on BBC Sounds".
- "HBO pulls James Veitch comedy special following rape allegations". 2 September 2020.
- Richardson, Jay (2 September 2020). "James Veitch's show to remain on BBC Sounds despite rape allegations". British Comedy Guide. Retrieved 15 November 2020.
- Richardson, Jay (25 September 2020). "BBC reverses decision on hosting James Veitch's Radio 4 show". British Comedy Guide. Retrieved 15 November 2020.