February 23, 1987 |
Mineral Wells, Texas, United States
|Other names||The Texecutioner|
|Height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight||155 lb (70 kg; 11.1 st)|
|Reach||76 in (193 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Temple Hills, Maryland|
|Team||Team Lloyd Irvin|
|Rank||Blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
James William Vick (born February 23, 1987) is an American mixed martial artist currently competing as a lightweight in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Vick was a cast member of The Ultimate Fighter: Live.
Mixed martial arts career
Vick began his professional career fighting in regional shows in his home state of Texas. His first four fights all came in 2011, where he went undefeated with four straight wins.
The Ultimate Fighter
For the first official fight of the show, he was chosen to fight Team Faber's third pick Daron Cruickshank. After a rough first part of the round, Vick landed a knee on Cruickshank as he shot in for a takedown, and won the fight by knockout in the first round.
His quarter-final fight came against Team Faber's Joe Proctor. Vick was able to dominate the fight, out-striking Proctor on the feet and successfully defending all of Proctor's take down attempts. Vick won the fight by unanimous decision, earning his way into the semi-final round.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Vick was scheduled to face castmate Vinc Pichel on June 1, 2012 at The Ultimate Fighter: Live Finale. However, due to his KO loss in the semifinals, Vick was unable to compete at the event and Pichel was pulled from the card as well.
Vick was expected to face promotional newcomer Valmir Lazaro on August 2, 2014 at UFC 176. However, after UFC 176 was cancelled, Vick/Lazaro was rescheduled and eventually took place on August 23, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 49. He won the back-and-forth fight via unanimous decision.
Vick faced Jake Matthews on May 10, 2015 at UFC Fight Night 65. Vick won the fight via submission in the first round. The win also earned Vick his first Performance of the Night bonus award.
Vick was expected to face Evan Dunham on June 4, 2016 at UFC 199, filling in for an injured Leanardo Santos. In turn, Dunham pulled out for undisclosed reasons and was replaced by Beneil Dariush. He lost the fight via knockout in the first round.
Vick was scheduled to face Johnny Case on February 4, 2017 at UFC Fight Night 104. However On January 19, Case pulled out the fight citing injury and was replaced by Abel Trujillo. Vick won by submission via submission in the third round.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|12 matches||11 wins||1 loss|
|Win||11–1||Marco Polo Reyes||TKO (punches)||UFC 211||May 13, 2017||1||2:39||Dallas, Texas, United States|
|Win||10–1||Abel Trujillo||Submission (D'Arce choke)||UFC Fight Night: Bermudez vs. Korean Zombie||February 4, 2017||3||0:49||Houston, Texas, United States|
|Loss||9–1||Beneil Dariush||KO (punch)||UFC 199||June 4, 2016||1||4:16||Inglewood, California, United States|
|Win||9–0||Glaico França||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 197||April 23, 2016||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||8–0||Jake Matthews||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC Fight Night: Miocic vs. Hunt||May 10, 2015||1||4:53||Adelaide, Australia||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||7–0||Nick Hein||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Edgar vs. Swanson||November 22, 2014||3||5:00||Austin, Texas, United States|
|Win||6–0||Valmir Lazaro||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Henderson vs. dos Anjos||August 23, 2014||3||5:00||Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||5–0||Ramsey Nijem||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC Fight Night: Shogun vs. Sonnen||August 17, 2013||1||0:58||Boston, Massachusetts, United States|
|Win||4–0||Chris Pecero||Decision (unanimous)||Back Alley Promotions||September 3, 2011||3||5:00||Arlington, Texas, United States|
|Win||3–0||Mike Salazar||TKO (punches)||STFC 16 - All or Nothing||August 12, 2011||1||2:17||McAllen, Texas, United States||Welterweight bout.|
|Win||2–0||Jimmy Taylor||Submission (armbar)||Xtreme Knockout 11||July 23, 2011||1||1:56||Arlington, Texas, United States|
|Win||1–0||Cody Carrillo||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Undisputed MMA 1||June 18, 2011||1||3:30||Amarillo, Texas, United States|
Mixed martial arts exhibition record
|Exhibition record breakdown|
|4 matches||3 wins||1 loss|
|Loss||3–1||Michael Chiesa||KO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter: Live||May 12, 2012 (Live airdate)||2||1:55||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||The Ultimate Fighter: Live Semi-Final round|
|Win||3–0||Joe Proctor||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Live||May 11, 2012 (Live airdate)||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||The Ultimate Fighter: Live Quarter-Final round|
|Win||2–0||Daron Cruickshank||KO (knee)||The Ultimate Fighter: Live||March 16, 2012 (Live airdate)||1||2:16||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||The Ultimate Fighter: Live Preliminary round|
|Win||1–0||Dakota Cochrane||Decision (split)||The Ultimate Fighter: Live||March 9, 2012 (Live airdate)||1||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||The Ultimate Fighter: Live Elimination round|
- "James Vick - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved November 23, 2014.
- "'The Ultimate Fighter 15' cast unveiled with 32 lightweight fighters". MMAJunkie.com. February 27, 2012. Archived from the original on February 29, 2012. Retrieved February 27, 2012.
- "Mixed martial arts results, Season 15 - The Ultimate Fighter" (PDF). State of Nevada, Department of Business and Industry Athletic Commission. March 9, 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 17, 2012. Retrieved March 25, 2012.
- "Episode No. 2 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter: Live'". MMAJunkie.com. March 16, 2012. Archived from the original on April 19, 2012. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- "Episode No. 10 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter: Live'". MMAJunkie.com. May 11, 2012. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- "Episode No. 12 Recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter: Live'". mmajunkie.com. May 25, 2012.
- "Semifinalists Vick, Pichel unavailable for TUF Live Finale, targeted for future UFC cards". mmajunkie.com. May 26, 2012. Archived from the original on December 26, 2012.
- "Ramsey Nijem vs. James Vick joins UFC on FOX Sports 1 1 in Boston". mmajunkie.com. June 5, 2013.
- Staff (June 7, 2014). "Walmir Lazaro vs. James Vick booked for UFC 176 in Los Angeles". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved June 7, 2014.
- Staff (2014-07-09). "Beniel Dariush-Tony Martin, Walmir Lazaro-James Vick rebooked for UFC Fight Night 49 in Tulsa". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-07-09.
- Thomas Gerbasi (2014-09-05). "Prospects Vick and Hein collide in Austin". uk.UFC.com. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- Steven Marrocco (2014-11-22). "UFC Fight Night 57 results: James Vick outworks Nick Hein for unanimous decision". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-11-22.
- Staff (2012-02-17). "UFC Fight Night 65 official for Australia with Hunt-Miocic, Tavares-Whittaker, more". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-02-17.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-05-09). "UFC Fight Night 65 results: James Vick shocks Jake Matthews with crushing guillotine". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-05-09.
- Staff (2015-05-10). "UFC Fight Night 65 bonuses: With 10 finishes in 12 fights, who got $50,000?". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-05-10.
- Staff (2016-02-16). "James Vick vs. Glaico Franca lightweight bout booked for UFC 197 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-02-16.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-04-23). "UFC 197 results: James Vick outslugs Glaico Franca in lightweight barnburner". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-04-23.
- Dave Meltzer (2016-04-29). "James Vick steps in to face Evan Dunham in lightweight duel at UFC 199". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-04-29.
- Ariel Helwani (2016-05-05). "James Vick vs. Beneil Dariush targeted for UFC 199". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- Brent Brookhouse (2016-06-04). "UFC 199 results: Beneil Dariush drops James Vick with thunderous punch for first-round KO". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-06-04.
- Damon Martin (2016-11-29). "Johnny Case vs. James Vick in the works for UFC Fight Night in Houston". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2016-11-29.
- MMA Fighting Newswire (2017-01-19). "After injuries to to original opponents, James Vick and Abel Trujillo fight in Houston". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-01-19.
- Steven Marrocco (2017-02-04). "UFC Fight Night 104 results: James Vick finally chokes out Abel Trujillo in the third". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-02-04.
- Themistoklis Alexis (2017-03-09). "Vick draws Polo Reyes at UFC 211". thescore.com. Retrieved 2017-03-09.
- Steven Marrocco (2017-05-13). "UFC 211 results: James Vick gets first-round TKO of Marco Polo Reyes in front of home fans". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-05-13.