James W. Husted (Representative)
James William Husted (March 16, 1870 – January 2, 1925) was a politician elected to four succeeding terms as a U.S. Representative (1915–1923) from New York. He was an attorney who served in local offices, as well as president of the Peekskill Bank.
Early life and education
Husted was born into a political family in Peekskill, New York, the son of James W. Husted (1833–1892) and his wife. His father was then a member of the New York State Assembly, and several times in later years was elected Speaker of the Assembly. The junior Husted attended private schools, the Peekskill Military Academy, and Cutler's School, New York City. He was graduated from Phillips Academy, Andover, Massachusetts. He graduated in 1888 from Yale University in 1892, where he was a member of Skull and Bones,:1392 and in 1894 from the New York Law School.
Marriage and family
Husted first married Louise Wetmore Spaulding (1873–1914). They had six children: James William, Jr. (1896-1975), John G.W. (1897-1965), Pricilla (1899-?), David (1900-?), Ellery (ca. 1901-?), and Robert (ca. 1906-?). After Louise's death, he married Bertha Frances Harricks (? - 1947).
Husted was admitted to the bar in 1894, and commenced practice in Peekskill, New York. He soon entered politics, and was a member of the New York State Assembly (Westchester Co., 3rd D.) in 1895, 1896 and 1897. In 1897, he moved to the growing city of White Plains and continued the practice of law.
In 1902, Husted returned to Peekskill and practiced law. He was elected president of the village of Peekskill in 1903 and 1904. He served as member and treasurer of the board of park commissioners from 1909 to 1920.
In 1912, he was an unsuccessful candidate for election to the Sixty-third Congress. Husted was elected as a Republican to the Sixty-fourth and to the three succeeding Congresses (March 4, 1915 – March 3, 1923).
Declining to run for office in 1922, Husted returned to the practice of law in Peekskill. He also engaged in banking and served as president of the Peekskill Bank.
- "Obituary Record of Graduates of Yale University Deceased during the Year 1924-1925" (PDF). Yale University. 1925. Retrieved March 24, 2011.
- "James William Husted Family Papers, ca. 1853-1943 (finding aid)". New York State Library Website. New York State Library. Retrieved 5 January 2016.
- "Peekskill Banker Who Sponsored Several Soldiers' Bills a Victim of Heart Disease.". New York Times. January 4, 1925. Retrieved 2010-08-19.
- Works by or about James W. Husted at Internet Archive
- James W. Husted at Find a Grave
- Finding Aid to James William Husted Family Papers, ca. 1853-1943 at the New York State Library, accessed January 5, 2016
- United States Congress. "James W. Husted (id: H001005)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
|New York Assembly|
Edgar L. Ryder
|New York State Assembly
Westchester County, 3rd District
|United States House of Representatives|
Benjamin I. Taylor
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from New York's 25th congressional district
J. Mayhew Wainwright