James Wilson (footballer, born 1989)
|Full name||James Steven Wilson|
|Date of birth||26 February 1989|
|Place of birth||Chepstow, Wales|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|2008||→ Brentford (loan)||14||(0)|
|2009||→ Brentford (loan)||13||(0)|
|2013||→ Cheltenham Town (loan)||4||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 21:10, 04 September 2016 (UTC).
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 22.48, 15 October 2013 (UTC)
Wilson began his career at Bristol City before being loaned out to Brentford for the first 3 months of the 2008–09 season, where he put in a number of impressive performances in a central defensive partnership with Reading loanee Alan Bennett. Despite returning to Ashton Gate by November, Wilson was able to claim a Football League Two winners medal.
He rejoined Brentford in an initial one-month loan deal on 20 August 2009, the loan deal later extended to 1 January 2010, and both clubs have agreed there will be no call-back option for the youngster during the duration of the deal. Wilson was dismissed for a professional foul on Gareth Ainsworth during an away match against Wycombe Wanderers on 24 November and gives away a Penalty, although keeper Wojciech Szczęsny saved the spot-kick, Brentford still lost 0–1 at the end.
The one-year option that the club had on Wilson's contract was exercised, extending his contract till the end of the 2014–15 season.
On 5 July 2016, Wilson signed for Sheffield United on a two-year contract, after rejecting a new deal with Oldham Athletic.
- Football League Two Winner: 1
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2009). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2009–10. Mainstream Publishing. ISBN 978-1-84596-474-0.
- "Wilson extends loan deal at Bees". BBC Sport. 2009-09-02. Retrieved 2009-12-21.
- "Wycombe 1–0 Brentford". BBC Sport. 2009-11-24. Retrieved 2009-12-21.
- "Central Defender Joins Latics". Bristol City FC. 31 January 2014.
- "Oldham Athletic retained list". Oldham Athletic A.F.C. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Wilson in Wales squad