June 14, 1971|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Sport||Track & Field & Cross Country|
|Event(s)||1500 meters, mile, 800 meters, 3000 meters, 5000 meters|
|College team||California State University, Fresno|
|Club||Aggies Running Club|
|Achievements and titles|
|Regional finals||1998 Goodwill Games: 4th in men's Mile|
|National finals||1998 USA Outdoor Track & Field Championships: 1st in men's 1500 meter|
1500 meters: 3:37.99 |
800 meters: 1:48.38
3000 meters: 8:21.61
5000 meters: 14:16.14
10000 meters: 27:59.31
Jamey Harris (born June 14, 1971 in Eugene, Oregon) is an American athlete and coach in track and field and cross-country. He is the 1998 USA national champion in the men's 1500 meters and finished fourth in the world in the men's mile at the 1998 Goodwill Games. Jamey Harris is currently Head Coach for Cross Country and Assistant Coach of Track and Field at Humboldt State University.
Jamey Harris attended Beaverton High School, where he was coached by Coach Jim Archer, and graduated in 1989. He won the Oregon State OSAA Boys Cross Country Championships in 1988. At the 1989 Oregon state outdoor championships, Harris placed 5th in the 3000 meters (8:46.77) and 4th in the 1500 meters (4:00.40). Harris was also a member of Beaverton High School's state-record-setting 4x800 Relay team.
Harris graduated from California State University, Fresno in 1994, earning a degree in exercise science emphasizing biomechanics. While at Fresno, Harris won both the 1991 and 1992 Big West Conference Championships in the 1500 meters and was an All-American in indoor track & field in 1992 and 1994. In cross country, he won the Big West Conference Championship in 1991 and the Western Athletic Conference in 1992.
Highlights of Harris's professional running career include the following:
- 1998 National Champion in the USA Track & Field Outdoor men's 1500 meters, with a time of 3:37.99.
- Represented the United States the 1998 Goodwill Games, where he came in fourth in the men's mile with a time of 3:55.39, behind Algerian Noureddine Morceli and Kenyans William Tanui and Daniel Komen.
- Ran in the 1996 USA Olympic Trials, where he came in 9th in the men's 1500 meters.
Harris is currently the Head Coach for Cross Country and Assistant Coach of Track and Field at Humboldt State University, since September 2017. Harris served as Head Coach for both Track & Field and Cross Country at University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC), from 2014 to 2017. Before that, he was Assistant Coach at UCSC for four years. He simultaneously served as head track coach at Pacific Collegiate School for 3 years.
During his time at UCSC, Harris was a three-time winner of the Division III Association of Independents Coach of the Year award, for women's cross country. He oversaw a major expansion of the UCSC Track & Field and Cross Country programs, from being Cross Country only, to adding a Women's Track Team in 2012 that consisted exclusively of distance runners, to adding a Men's Track Team in 2015, to both teams competing in all events. In the 2017 Outdoor Track season, UCSC for the first time sponsored full varsity squads for both men and women that competed in all event groups.
Before UCSC, Harris was an Assistant Cross Country Coach for Auburn University, while he pursued his Masters and PhD in exercise physiology. He also previously served as a Volunteer Assistant Coach at Fresno State, his alma mater.
- All-Athletics. "Profile of Jamey Harris".
- "Humboldt State University Athletics". www.hsujacks.com. Retrieved 2017-12-18.
- "Cross Country - Year By Year Results: 1988 Boys" (PDF). Oregon School Activities Association. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- Vance, Miles (12 June 2008). "Last lap". Portland Tribune. Pamplin Media Group. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- "OSAA outdoor track & field championships meet results" (PDF). Oregon School Activities Association. June 1, 2017.
- "Big West Conference Track & Field Records" (PDF). Official Site of the Big West Conference. Men's Track and Field Individual Champions, 1500 Meters: Big West Conference. June 1, 2015. p. 5. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- "Big West Conference Men's Cross Country Record Book" (PDF). Official Site of the Big West Conference. Big West Conference. November 1, 2016. p. 8. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- "IAAF World Cross Country Championships, 8.0km, CC Men". March 24, 1990. Archived from the original on June 4, 2017.
- "1998 Goodwill Games Athletics Track & Field Results". Archived from the original on July 19, 2011.
- "1999 Bios - Jamey Harris". www.usatf.org. Retrieved 2017-06-04.
- "LinkedIn Profile for Jamey Harris". LinkedIn. June 4, 2017.
- "Association of Division III Independents Names 2016 All-Independent Men's and Women's Cross Country Teams - Association of Division III Independents" (PDF). www.d3independents.org. Retrieved 2017-06-04.
- "2017 UC Santa Cruz Men's Track and Field Season Outlook". UC Santa Cruz. 2017-01-26. Retrieved 2017-06-04.
- "A Brief History of UCSC Track & Field". College Running. 2017-05-30. Retrieved 2017-06-04.