This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Motto||The Book And Wisdom|
|Founder||Hakeem Hafiz Abdul Majeed|
|Vice-Chancellor||Seyed E. Hasnain|
Jamia Hamdard (Urdu: جامعہ ہمدرد) is an institute of higher education deemed to be university located in New Delhi, India. It is a government-funded university. Established in 1989, was formally inaugurated by the then Prime Minister of India Shri Rajiv Gandhi on August 1, 1989. In 2019 it was awarded the Institute of Eminence status.
- 1 Faculties
- 2 Campus facilities
- 3 Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences and Research (HIMSR) & Hakim Abdul Hameed Centenary Hospital
- 4 Ranking
- 5 Facilities
- 6 Foreign nationals
- 7 Placement activities
- 8 Hamdard Study Circle
- 9 Alumni community
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
The university offers a multitude of graduate programmes in Modern Medicine, Information Technology, Computer Applications, Business Management, Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy. Undergraduate programmes in Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy and Post Graduate Diploma in Preventive Cardiology are also planned for introduction.
- Pharmacy: The School of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (erstwhile Faculty of Pharmacy) is one of the oldest and most reputed pharmacy institutes in India. It was awarded the number one rank in India in the year 2017 and 2019 by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India via its National Institute Ranking Framework. The school offers diploma, undergraduate, graduate and Ph.D. programs in pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences. The institute is research intensive and has numerous notable alumni in the pharmaceutical industry in both India and abroad.
- Hamdard Institute of Legal Studies and Research: which offers BA.LLB(5 years integrated course) for undergraduates.
- Interdisciplinary Sciences and Technology: which offers the Food technology program for undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Management Studies & Information Technology
- Engineering Sciences and technology
- Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences and Research ( HIMSR ) & Associated Hakeem Abdul Hameed Centenary Hospital
- Medicine (Unani)
- Islamic Studies & Social Sciences
- Clinical Research
Central Instrumentation Facility (CIF)
Central Instrumentation Facility was established in the Faculty of Pharmacy in July 1990 with the installation of L7 Backman Ultra-centrifuge, Sorval Rt-6000 low-speed centrifuge, DU-64 Backman UV-VIS Spectrometer, Perkin-Elmer 8700 Gas Chromatograph, Perkin-Elmer HPLC and Mettler electronic balance. In the year 1992, gamma-counter, beta-counter and DNA Electrophoresis systems were added to the CIF. Perkin-Elmer Lambda-20 Double-beam UV-VIS spectrophotometer, Perkin-Elmer LS-50 luminescence spectrometer, Bio-rad FT-IR spectrometers and mini-computer facility comprising eight computers, Internet and e-mail facilities are also available in CIF.
The objective of CIF is to provide an instrumentation facility to the researchers of Jamia Hamdard, in addition, to train the Ph.D. and M.Pharm/M.Sc.. students on various equipment. Jamia Hamdard research students operate instruments themselves for their experiments. Ph.D. students, use CIF during late hours and on weekends to complete their experiments. Several M.Pharm and Ph.D. scholars have used the CIF for their research.
The library system consists of a central library and six faculty libraries: the faculties of science, medicine, pharmacy, nursing, Islamic studies, and management studies and information technology. The central library is named ‘Hakim Mohammed Said Central Library’, after the younger brother of the founder.
The university has a computer centre which works as a lab for the Department of Computer Science, computing facilities, and system analysis units, as well as all necessary peripherals and requisite software. There are five laboratories in the computer centre, with facilities for their respective development fields.
The Scholars' House is a guest house for scholars, university guests, outside examiners, members of the selection board, and residential conferences.
It has 12 double-bed rooms, 27 single-bed rooms, and 4 flats. The kitchen also serves doctors of Majeedia Hospital and outsiders upon request.
Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences and Research (HIMSR) & Hakim Abdul Hameed Centenary Hospital
The founder of the university Janab Hakeem Abdul Hameed had conceived of starting a medical college in 1953 alongside the Unani system of medicine. The HIMSAR is ranked top 7 among the Indian universities. In July 2012 the Medical Council of India gave permission to Jamia Hamdard to start a medical college on its campus. Before that, the University renamed the erstwhile Majeedia Hospital to Hakeem Abdul Hameed Centenary Hospital (HAH Centenary Hospital) and to attach this to a newly established medical Institute - Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences of Research (HIMSR). HAH Centenary Hospital has 650 teaching beds currently housing all broad clinical disciplines with blood bank and hospital laboratory services. HIMSR was the sixth medical college in National Capital Territory of Delhi, and the first model hospital in the public-private sector in the capital city of Delhi. The current leadership of the university is Dr. Seyed Ehtesham Hasnain, the Vice-chancellor. The first batch of MBBS students was taken in August 2012. The Institute passed MCI scrutiny for taking the second batch, and has taken the second batch through National Eligibility and Entrance Test (NEET) in August 2013.
The institute conducts research in cancer, diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. The Institute started a one-year postgraduate diploma in Preventive Cardiology in collaboration with All India Heart Foundation and the National Heart Institute, New Delhi. A 550-bed facility is planned. The Hamdard Imaging Centre' has been established to provide medical imaging under one roof. Free OPD facilities are provided to University students, teaching and non-teaching staff, their family members and very poor people. The old Majeedia Hospital is being developed as the training place for the students of the Faculty of Medicine (Unani).
The alumni of Jamia Hamdard are called 'Hamdardian'.
|University and college rankings|
|General – international|
|QS (BRICS) (2019)||211–220|
|QS (Asia) (2019)||301–350|
|General – India|
|NIRF (Overall) (2019)||31|
|NIRF (Universities) (2019)||18|
|Medical - India|
|Pharmacy – India|
The QS World University Rankings of 2019 ranked Jamia Hamdard 301–350 in ASIA, and 211–220 among BRICS nations. In India, it was ranked 31 overall by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) in 2019, 18 among universities,, 15 in the medical ranking and first in the pharmacy ranking.
Jamia Hamdard provides full residential facilities for the staff and students, both in and outside the campus. There are nine residential blocks in the campus which are meant for the residence of all categories of the teaching and non-teaching employees.
Jamia Hamdard has separate girls' and boys' hostels. Every hostel has a common room, reading room, dining hall, and visitors’ room. Number of hostels are as follows:
- 2 UG girls hostels
- 1 PG girls hostel.
- 1 UG boys hostel. (Closed)
- 1 Ibn Batuta P.G. Boys hostel. (For MBBS Students and old Ph.D. Students).
- 1 International boys hostel.
A gymnasium, basketball ground. Playgrounds for cricket and football(5-A side) are also available.
The university has three canteens which are partially subsidized and are run by contractors.
The university welcomes foreign nationals who have a good academic record and have secured good marks in equivalent qualifying examinations. Preference is given to candidates who have secured good percentile in SAT/GMAT/GRE examinations.
Foreign Student’s Cell
The Foreign Student Cell looks after their rights and benefits. The Foreign Students' advisor looks after the affairs of foreign students. Cultural and social event are organized by the cell every year.
The university organizes placement activities for its students and a large number of companies visit the campus like Allergan, India, American Express, Aricent, B. Braun Melsungen, Biocon, Bristol Myers Squibb, Cipla, Cisco, CSC, Comviva Technologies Limited, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Fiserv, Headstrong (company), Hewlett Packard, HCL Technologies, ICICI Bank, Impetus, Infosys Lupin, Max Newyork Life Insurance, Maruti Udyog, Newgen, Novartis, Nucleus Software Exports, Panacea, Perot Systems, Pfizer, Qualtech Consultants, Quark, Ranbaxy, Research Endeavours, Sapient, Sun Pharma, Syntel, TCS, Tech Mahindra and many more.
Hamdard Study Circle
A premier coaching institute founded by late Janab Hakeem Abdul Hameed Saheb in 1992 for preparing students of weaker section of society, particularly Muslims, for Civil Services Examination conducted by Union Public Service Commission.
The Circle provides coaching for all the three stages of the Civil Services Examination, viz Preliminary Examination, Main Examination and Personality Test. Hamdard Study Circle has excellent boarding and lodging facilities, a well-equipped library, internet facility, office complex, recreation room, a modern dining hall and kitchen housed in the 14-acre (57,000 m2) sprawling campus of Talimabad in South Delhi. There is no fee charged for coaching but students are required to pay Rs. 1750/- per month for the maintenance of the hostel and amenities and Rs. 2000/- per month for meals. Stipends to deserving students of Minority, OBC and SC/ST Categories are available through a Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment grant.
Admission strictly on merit basis through a competitive test held at New Delhi, Patna, Chennai and Thiruvananthapuram on 3rd Sunday of November each year for Prelim Examination Coaching and at New Delhi in the last week of July in the following year for the Main Examination Coaching. Admission for Personality Test Coaching is made through Personal Interview in the last week of March each year. Total intake up to 10 girls and 50 boys. So far 161 candidates have qualified for various Civil Services from Hamdard Study Circle.
Jamia Hamdard Alumni Association and Jamia Hamdard Pharma Professionals Alumni are two communities on the LinkedIn network. They have found great success and have become a hub of activities for alumni and current students.
- List of universities in India
- Universities and colleges in India
- Education in India
- Education in Delhi
- Distance Education Council
- University Grants Commission (India)
- Hamdard University Bangladesh
- Hamdard University Pakistan
- "IIT-Khargapur, IIT-Madras, BHU get Institution of Eminence (IoE) status". LiveMint. 5 September 2019. Retrieved 15 October 2019.
- "MHRD, National Institute Ranking Framework (NIRF)". www.nirfindia.org. Retrieved 26 April 2017.
- "Top 25 pharmacy colleges in India: NIRF ranking 2017". The Indian Express. 3 April 2017. Retrieved 26 April 2017.
- "QS BRICS University Rankings 2019". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2018.
- "QS Asia University Rankings 2019". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2019 (Overall)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2019.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2019 (Universities)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2019.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2019 (Medical)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2019.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2019 (Pharmacy)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2019.