Jamia Millia Islamia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||This college or university article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia guidelines for college and university articles. (April 2017)|
|جامعة ملیة إسلامية دهلي|
|Motto||Arabic: عَلَّمَ الاِنْسَانَ مَا لَمْ يَعْلَم
ʻallam al-insān-a mā lam yaʻlam
English:He taught man what he knew not
|Location||New Delhi, Delhi, India|
|Affiliations||UGC, NAAC, AIU|
Jamia Millia Islamia (Urdu: جامعہ ملیہ اسلامیہ, Hindi: जामिया मिलिया इस्लामिया, translation: Community Islamic University) is a public central university located in Delhi. It was established during British rule in 1920. It became a Central University by an act of the Indian Parliament in 1988.
- 1 History
- 2 Jamia Millia Islamia today
- 3 Faculties
- 4 Centers
- 5 Schools
- 6 Library
- 7 Rankings
- 8 Alumni Associations
- 9 Notable Alumni
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
- Abul Kalam Azad, the nationalist leader of the Indian National Congress, was one of its main initial patrons.
- Zakir Hussain was the first Vice Chancellor, who took over in its turbulent times and guided it through all the difficulties. After his death, he was buried on the campus of the University where his mausoleum is open to the public.
- Mukhtar Ahmad Ansari, who later on became the Vice Chancellor. The main auditorium of the University is named after him.
- Maulana Mahmud Hasan
- Abdul Majeed Khwaja
- Abid Hussain
- Hakim Ajmal Khan
- Mohammad Mujeeb, under whose leadership Jamia became a Deemed University
The campus is distributed over a large area. Many of its buildings are being modernized. Greenery is supported and advocated. In December 1988 Jamia was accorded the status of a Central University by the parliament under the Jamia Millia Islamia Act 1988 (no. 59 of 1988).
Jamia Millia Islamia today
In 2006 the Sultan of Saudi Arabia paid a visit to the university and donated $30 million for construction of a library .Now,that library is known as Zakir Husain Library and is one of the finest library of India containing thousands of manuscripts, journals, research papers and books from many fields.
The university's scenic cricket ground (popularly known as the Bhopal Ground) has hosted Ranji Trophy matches and a women's cricket test match. Besides its seven faculties, the Jamia has centres of learning and research, like the Mass Communication Research Centre (MCRC), Faculty of Engineering & Technology, Faculty of Fine Arts,Centre for Theoretical Physics and the Academy of Third World Studies (ATWS). The Jamia offers undergraduate and postgraduate information and technology courses.
Jamia Millia Islamia has 9 faculties under which it offers academic and extension programs:
Faculty of Law
This faculty specialises in quality training and education to budding lawyers through the following programs:
Faculty of Engineering and Technology
Established in 1985 with the departments of Civil, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering departments. It has added the departments of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Department of Applied Science and Humanities (1996) and has six engineering departments— Applied Sciences & Humanities, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics & Communications, Mechanical Engineering, computer Engineering—and a University Polytechnic. These departments also conduct many projects sponsored various agencies. The faculty offers regular courses and continuing programmes.
The faculty has 7 departments —
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Applied Sciences & Humanities
Faculty of Architecture and Ekistics
This faculty has the Department of Architecture and it offers the following programs
- B Arch (Regular and Self-Financing)
- M Arch
- M Ekistics
Faculty of Humanities and Languages
The faculty has nine departments:
- English and Modern European Languages
- Tourism and Hospitality
- History and Culture
- Islamic Studies
Islamic Studies has been a part of Jamia’s curriculum since its inception in 1920 at Aligarh. Prominent scholars of Islam have taught Islamic Studies in Jamia as an optional as well as a compulsory subject, to name a few: Maulana Mohd. Ali Johar, Maulana Mohd Aslam Jairajpuri, Maulana Mohd Abdus Salam Kidwai Nadvi, Maulana Qazi Zainul Abideen Sajjad Meeruti, Mohd Mujeeb, S. Abid Husain, Ziaul Hasan Faruqi, Mushirul Haq, Majid Ali Khan and I.H. Azad Faruqi. In 1975, a separate multi-disciplinary Department of Islamic and Arab-Iranian Studies was instituted. Following a trifurcation, a full-fledged Department of Islamic Studies was established in 1988. The department publishes its annual magazine titled as Sada e Jauhar.
offering programmes in PhD, M Phil (pre-PhD), postgraduate, undergraduate, diploma and certificate courses.
Faculty of Fine Arts
This faculty has six departments
- Applied Arts
- Art Education
- Graphic Art
- Art History & Art Appreciation
Offering programmes in PhD, Master of Fine Arts (M F A), Bachelor of Fine Arts (B F A), Diploma and Certificate courses.
The campus has an art gallery named after the Indian painter MF Husain.
Faculty of Social Sciences
This faculty has seven departments
- Adult & Continuing Education
- Political Science
- Social Work
- Commerce & Business Studies
The Faculty of Social Science is based around Gulistan-e-Ghalib, and is commonly referred to as the Main Campus.
Faculty of Natural Sciences
This faculty has eight departments:
- Computer Science
Faculty of Education
This faculty specializes in quality training and education to budding teachers through its two departments
- Educational Studies
- Institute of Advanced Studies in Education (Formerly Dept of Teacher Training and Non Formal Education)
Faculty of Dentistry
This faculty specialises in quality training and education to budding dentists through a five-year BDS program.
AJK Mass Communication Research Center
The Mass Communication Research Centre was established in 1982 by Anwar Jamal Kidwai, then vice-chancellor (later chancellor) of Jamia Millia Islamia. Jamia is today known primarily for these mass communication courses. according to their own site.
Centre for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (CNN)
The mission of this Centre is to promote forefront basic and applied research in the fields of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, with potential applications towards fulfilling national strategic needs. The main research focus of the Centre includes Nano-fabrication & Nano-device, Nano-materials & Nano-structures, Nano-biotechnology & Nano-medicine, Nano-structure characterization & measurements.
Centre for Management Studies
The Centre for Management Studies presently offers three programmes viz. Ph.D. in Management, MBA (Full-Time) Programme and M.B.A. (International Business) Programme.
- Ph.D. Programme
- MBA (Full Time) Programme
- M.B.A. (International Business) Programme
Besides these faculties, there are twenty centres of learning and research. Notable among these is the MA in Mass Communication offered by the AJK Mass Communication and Research Center:
- FTK-Centre for Information Technology An internet facility is available for the faculty members, staff, research scholars, and students.
- Dr. Zakir Husain Institute of Islamic Studies
- Maulana Mohammad Ali Jauhar Academy of Third World Studies
- Centre for Distance and Open Learning
- Nelson Mandela Centre for Peace and Conflict Resolution
- Centre for Jawaharlal Nehru Studies
- Centre for the Study of Comparative Religions and Civilizations
- Centre for West Asian Studies
- Dr. K. R. Narayanan Centre for Dalit and Minorities Studies
- Centre for Spanish and Latin American Studies
- Centre for Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation Sciences
- Academy of Professional Development of Urdu Medium Teachers
- Academic Staff College
- Barkat Ali Firaq State Resource Centre
- Centre for Coaching and Career Planning
- Centre for Culture Media and Governance
- Centre for Gandhian Studies
- Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Basic Sciences
- Centre for Theoretical Physics
- Child Guidance Centre
- India – Arab Cultural Centre
- Jamia's Premchand Archives and Literary Centre
- Sarojini Naidu Centre for Women's Studies
- University Counseling and Guidance Centre
- Centre for Early Childhood Development and Research
Jamia Millia Islamia also imparts education from Nursery to Senior Secondary level.
- Balak Mata Centres
- Gerda Philipsborn Day Care Centre
- Mushir Fatma Jamia Nursery School
- Jamia Middle School
- Jamia Senior Secondary School
- Syed Abid Husain Senior Secondary School
- Jamia Girls Senior Secondary School
The main central library of the University is known as Dr Zakir Husain Library with its collection of about 400,000 artefacts—including books, microfilms, periodicals volumes, manuscripts, and rare books. Certain halls are dedicated to them. The library is open to all bona fide students of Jamia. Beside this, there are subject wise collection in libraries of some faculties and centres.
|General – India|
|Law – India|
The Faculty of Law was ranked sixth in India by Outlook India's "Top 25 Law Colleges In 2017", 20 in India by The Week's "Top Law Colleges In 2016" and 31 by Careers360's "Top Law Colleges in India 2017", 25 among government institutes.
- Jamia Electronics Alumni Association
- Jamia Millia Islamia Alumni - UAE chapter
- Jamia Millia Islamia Alumni Association - KSA
- Jamia Millia Islamia Alumni Association (JMIAA), Riyadh Chapter
- Jamia Millia Islamia Alumni Association – U.S. chapter
- Javed Ali Khan - Politician, Member Of Parliament Uttar Pradesh
- Shah Rukh Khan – Bollywood actor
- Virender Sehwag – Indian Cricketer
- Barkha Dutt – NDTV editor / Journalist
- Kabir Khan – Film director
- Kiran Rao – Film producer / director / actor
- Anjana Om Kashyap - Aaj Tak editor / Journalist
- Danish Aslam– Film director
- Roshan Abbas – Radio jockey / Film director
- Habib Faisal – Film writer / director
- Gagan Ajit Singh - International Hockey Player
- Muzammil Ibrahim – Model / actor
- Mohammad Hossein Adeli - Gas Exporting Countries Forum
- Loveleen Tandan - film director
- Anshu Gupta - Senior DGM, L&T Ltd.
- Anurag Gupta - CEO, Balaji Tele Films
- Kamal Akhtar - Politician, Cabinet Minister in Uttar Pradesh government
- Zeishan Quadri, Writer, Actor, Gangs of Wasseypur
- Molvi Imran Raza Ansari - Politician, Cabinet Minister in Jammu & Kashmir Government
- List of universities in India
- Universities and colleges in India
- Education in India
- Education in Delhi
- Distance Education Council
- University Grants Commission (India)
- Jamia Millia Islamia Act 1988 Archived 9 April 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 17 May 2006. Retrieved 2006-11-16.
- Firdous, Tairah (13 March 2012). "Jamia's vice chancellor focuses on quality programmes over expansion". Daily Mail. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- "EMDI World - Advertising - Event Management Courses Mumbai - India". emdiworld.com.
- "About MCRC". ajkmcrc.org. Retrieved 2 April 2010.
- Full list of Faculties/Centres Archived 12 November 2006 at the Wayback Machine.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2017 (Overall)". Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2017.
- "Top 25 Law Colleges In 2017". Outlook India. 5 June 2017. Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- "Best Colleges: Worldly Wisdom". The Week. 9 June 2016. Retrieved 5 June 2017.
- "Top Law Colleges in India 2017". Careers360. 2017.
- Journal, Jamia (2015-09-15). "Jamia Electronics Alumni Association Conducts 2nd Alumni Meet". Jamia Journal. Retrieved 2017-04-06.
- "Jamia Electronics Alumni Association organises 3rd alumni meet - Aapka Times | Aapka Times". www.aapkatimes.com. Retrieved 2017-04-06.
- "Jamia Electronics Alumni Association organised their 2nd alumni meet, SahilOnline English News detail". SahilOnline English News. Retrieved 2017-04-06.
- "Jamia Electronics Alumni Association organized their 2nd alumni meet - Aapka Times | Aapka Times". www.aapkatimes.com. Retrieved 2017-04-06.
- "Jamia alumni fly from UAE to hand over scholarship cheque to VC | TwoCircles.net". twocircles.net. Retrieved 2016-08-11.
- "Jamia - Press Releases - Archives - Jamia Alumni at Riyadh institute six scholarships". jmi.ac.in. Retrieved 2016-08-11.
- Journal, Jamia (2014-08-27). "Jamia Alumni in U.S. Offer Assistance to Students Considering to Study in the U.S.". Jamia Journal. Retrieved 2016-08-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jamia Millia Islamia.|