Jamia Mosque (Hong Kong)
|Location||30 Shelley Street, Mid-Levels, Hong Kong|
|Completed||1890 (original building)
1905 (current building)
Jamia Mosque (Chinese: 些利街清真寺, lit. Shelley Street Mosque, or 回教清真禮拜總堂) is a mosque at Mid-levels, Hong Kong, China. The mosque is the oldest mosque in Hong Kong. The neighboring streets Mosque Street and Mosque Junction are named after this mosque.
The mosque was built in 1890 on a piece of land leased by the British Hong Kong government. The treaty for the land was granted on 23 December 1850. Initially, the mosque was named Mohammedan Mosque. Extension of the building took place in 1915 which made the mosque into a larger building. After World War II, the mosque was renamed Jamia Mosque.
The mosque has a rectangular shape with an arched main entrance and Arabic-style arched windows on all sides.
The building has been classified as a Grade I building by the Government of Hong Kong in May 2010 which are described as "outstanding merits of which every effort should be made to preserve if possible."
There has been a plan to construct an Islamic Cultural Center by its side in the future.
- Islam in Hong Kong
- Central and Western Heritage Trail
- Incorporated Trustees of the Islamic Community Fund of Hong Kong
- List of mosques in Hong Kong
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jamia Mosque (Hong Kong).|
- Ho, W.Y. (2013). Islam and China's Hong Kong: Ethnic Identity, Muslim Networks and the New Silk Road. Taylor & Francis. p. 30. ISBN 9781134098071. Retrieved 2015-04-05.
- "Halal Trust". iticfhk.org. Retrieved 2015-04-05.
- "Masjids / Islamic Centres in Hong Kong". islam.org.hk. Retrieved 2015-04-05.
- Wordie, Jason (2002). Streets: exploring Hong Kong Island. Hong Kong University Press. p. 57. ISBN 978-962-209-563-2.
- "History of Muslim in Hong Kong". islam.org.hk. Retrieved 2015-04-05.
- "Sheung Wan Route A - Central and Western Heritage Trail - Antiquities and Monuments Office: Muslim Mosque". amo.gov.hk. Retrieved 2015-04-05.
- "Jamia Mosque | Hong Kong Tourism Board". discoverhongkong.com. Retrieved 2015-04-05.
- "Opening Hours of Historic Buildings - Antiquities and Monuments Office – Definition of the Gradings of Historical Buildings". amo.gov.hk. Retrieved 2015-04-05.