Gareth Jamie Bevan is a Welsh language campaigner from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales and a prominent member of Cymdeithas yr Iaith Gymraeg. Bevan refused to pay fines and costs to Merthyr Tydfil Magistrate's Court for breaking into Conservative party offices in north Cardiff the day before a visit from David Cameron in a demonstration against cuts to S4C.
Bevan was sentenced to 35 days in prison by Merthyr Tydfil magistrates in 2012. He has said that he is using the case to draw attention to the lack of Welsh language correspondence from the courts.
He had complained three times about a monolingual English correspondence from the courts service but later received a court summons in English only.
Bevan is also a Welsh folk singer-songwriter, performing solo and with bands Y Betti Galws and Jamie Bevan a’r Gweddillion. He has performed alongside Welsh language folk stalwarts Meic Stevens and Dafydd Iwan and his music has been played on BBC Radio Wales, Radio Cymru and S4C. He has performed live at the National Eisteddfod of Wales and at Welsh language, republican and other political benefit gigs, together with regular appearances at Red Poets events alongside poet Mike Jenkins and others.
- Y Betti Galws - Self-titled, (2009) CD.
- Jamie Bevan a’r Gweddillion - Torri'r Cerffiw, (2011) CD
- Jamie Bevan a’r Gweddillion - Ei Fab aeth o'i Flaen (Sain), (2012) Download.
- Jamie Bevan a’r Gweddillion - Bach Yn Ryff, (2013) CD.
- "Gareth Jamie Bevan, Man Who Trashed Conservative MP's Office Over S4C, Jailed". Huffington Post. 23 August 2011.
- "Jamie Bevan: 35 diwrnod o garchar". Golwg360. 13 August 2012.
- Cymdeithas yr Iaith Gymraeg website; accessed 23/08/2012
- http://cymdeithas.org/vimeo/sianel62-gig-twmffat-jamie-bevan-ar-gweddillion-y-bromas-y-parot-e caerfyrddin
|This Welsh biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|