2000 Australian Paralympic Team portrait of Dunross
|Full name||Jamie Barry Dunross|
28 August 1968 |
Jamie Barry Dunross, OAM (born 28 August 1968) is an Australian sailor. He was born in Melbourne. A former miner, he became a quadriplegic after an explosion at a gold mine in Kalgoorlie. He cannot use his legs, and has very restricted use of his arms.
He had depression for five years after the accident, and his passion for sailing helped him to recover from it. In 2000, he won the North American championship for disabled persons in St. Petersburg, Florida with Noel Robins and Graeme Martin, in preparation for the 2000 Sydney Games. At the games, he won a gold medal with Robins and Martin in the Mixed Three Person Sonar event, for which he received a Medal of the Order of Australia. He also participated in the same event at the 2004 Athens Games, but did not win a medal. In 2010, he became the first person with quadriplegia to circumnavigate Australia unassisted. On 9 August 2016, his 2000 gold medal was stolen from the Royal Perth Yacht Club. He has two children.
- "Dunross, Jamie Barry, OAM". It's an Honour. Retrieved 28 January 2012.
- Australian Media Guide : 2000 Paralympic Games (PDF). Sydney: Australian Paralympic Committee. 2000. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- Smith, Neil (23 July 2000). "WA trio go for gold". The Sunday Times. p. 81.
- "Father gets sailing record" (video). ABC News. 25 July 2010. Retrieved 29 January 2012.
- "Athlete Search Results". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
- Lulham, Amanda (28 October 2000). "Age no barrier for former America's Cup Skipper". The Courier-Mail. p. 38.
- Powell, Graeme; Bembridge, Courtney (11 August 2016). "Paralympic sailor Jamie Dunross 'shocked' as gold medal stolen in Perth yacht club burglary". ABC News. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
|This biographical article related to yacht racing in Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Paralympic medalist of Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|