This article contains too many or overly lengthy quotations for an encyclopedic entry. (August 2020)
Jamie Freeman is an English singer, songwriter, musician and record producer, who previously fronted The Jamie Freeman Agreement. He is the brother of the actor Martin Freeman (The Hobbit, Sherlock, The Office) and the musician Tim Freeman (Frazier Chorus). He and his wife Stevie co-founded Union Music Store in Lewes, East Sussex. He is a member of the Americana Music Association (Nashville) and Americana Music Association UK. His song 'The Fire' - co-written with Ben Glover - was nominated for UK Song Of The Year at the UK Americana Awards.
Freeman's primary instrument is guitar but he is also a drummer. He started drumming at the age of 13 and played with Brighton alt.country rockers Salter Cane for eight years. He usually plays electric and acoustic guitar, and a kick-drum when playing solo. In the studio he also plays keyboards, bass, lap steel and percussion.
His 2019 album Dreams About Falling features co-writes with Angaleena Presley, Ben Glover, Michael Logen, Brandy Zdan, Amy Speace and Amy Tudor. (Two songs on Freeman's second album were co-written with Amy Tudor, a poet from Kentucky.) The album also features duets with Angaleena Presley, Brandy Zdan and Amy Speace.
Freeman's first album Just You, released under his own name, was described as "a perfect blend of UK folk/American roots" by Gilded Palace. The follow up 100 Miles From Town was released under the band's name The Jamie Freeman Agreement and features guest appearances by several respected artists including Larkin Poe, Brandy Zdan, Richard Smith, The Good Lovelies. Mark Chadwick (The Levellers) was consultant producer on the album. His third album Dreams About Falling was produced by Grammy-nominated producer Neilson Hubbard and received 4-star reviews in Maverick Music Magazine and R'N'R magazine.
Dreams About Falling: "Great songs, hooks, tunes, melodies, excellent musicians, sparkling guests and wonderful production – it's a hit!" – Maverick Magazine
"Jamie is patently in the vanguard of the current crop of British songwriters, regardless of genre-type. Dreams About Falling is a musical tour de force" – FolkRadio.co.uk
"the 'Hasia Dreams' EP is a well-timed reminder to the world at large, that here in England we have a songwriter capable of matching the best." – FATEA
"...there are certainly echoes of classic country rock, a little psychedelia, pop rock, even an occasional folksiness, but it is very much a song driven mini album (or is it e.p?) that bows to no particular style, instead choosing to let the lyrics do the talking whilst using whatever instrumentation he thought necessary to get the best out of the songs. I suspect he and most other musicians will find it very difficult to top this excellent recording!" – American Roots UK
"This is a great CD that should be nominated for Best Album at the Folk Awards" 4.5 Stars – Maverick Magazine
"100 Miles From Town – the Jamie Freeman Agreement set about defining English Americana" – FATEA
|Artist name||Title||Year||Label||Format||Catalogue No.|
|Jamie Freeman||Just You||2011||Union Music Store||CD/Digital||UMS001|
|The Jamie Freeman Agreement||100 Miles From Town||2013||Union Music Store||CD/Digital||UMS005|
|Jamie Freeman||Hasia Dreams||2017||Union Music Store||CD/Digital||UMS013|
|Jamie Freeman||Dreams About Falling||2019||Union Music Store||CD/Vinyl/Digital||UMS014|
|Jamie Freeman||Just You||Album||2011||Union Music Store|
|Zoe Brownrigg||Not Once Did I See Your Face||EP||2011||Union Music Store|
|The Self Help Group||Not Waving, But Drowning||Album||2012||Union Music Store|
|The Jamie Freeman Agreement||100 Miles From Town||Album||2013||Union Music Store|
|Police Dog Hogan||Home (Remix)||Remix track for the Moutarde! vinyl EP (produced by Al Scott)||2015||Union Music Store|
|Mark Chadwick||No Change||Track from Land of Hope and Fury compilation||2015||Union Music Store|
|Lucy Ward||Bigger Than That||2015||Union Music Store|
|Phil Jones||New Homes||2015||Union Music Store|
|The Jamie Freeman Agreement||Homes For Heroes||2015||Union Music Store|
|The Self Help Group||Funeral Drum||2015||Union Music Store|
|Emily Barker||Doing The Best I Can||Mix, track from Land of Hope and Fury compilation (Produced by Emily Barker)||2015||Union Music Store|
|The Self Help Group||Dead Stars||Album||2015||Union Music Store|
|Noble Jacks||What The Hammer||Album||2017||Union Music Store|
|Ben Norris||Moral Vacuum||Album||2020||n/a|
|Jamie Freeman||Hasia Dreams||5 song EP. Track 3 produced by Rebecca Lovell (Larkin Poe).||2017||Union Music Store|
The Self Help Group (Not Waving But Drowning, Dead Stars)
"The actual sound is a huge tribute to producer Jamie Freeman, giving great depth and openness to the recording but never overdoing the instrumentation, imbuing the whole disc with a power and drive that really shouldn't be possible when taking into account the mellowness of the music. – American Roots UK
"Dead Stars is the bands second studio outing, impeccably produced by Jamie Freeman" – Brighton's Finest
"Working with the same producer as the on the first album, the album is again a small masterpiece" FATEA
The Jamie Freeman Agreement (100 Miles From Town)
"It is high quality, beautifully written, arranged, sung, played and produced music that keeps the listener in thrall... and when it comes to the production there is a lovely clear open spacey feel even on songs with a fuller instrumentation. He seems to have an instinctive 'knack' for getting everything perfectly in balance and co-ordinated, and yet there is always a strong dramatic edginess to the performances and sound." American Roots UK
- Sawyer, Miranda (17 April 2005). "Master of the universe". The Guardian. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- "Americana Music Association UK - Voting is now CLOSED for UK Americana Awards 2020". theamauk.org. Retrieved 8 March 2020.
- CD Album: Jamie Freeman - Dreams About Falling (2019), retrieved 30 May 2019
- hannahjessica31 (20 May 2019). "Jamie Freeman shares 'Down Range', duet with Angaleena Presley (Pistol Annies) and Announces UK tour dates supporting Wade Bowen this summer". Building Our Own Nashville. Retrieved 30 May 2019.
- "Jamie Freeman Music". Bandsintown. Retrieved 8 March 2020.
- "Songwriter Summit". The House of Songs. Retrieved 8 March 2020.
- Freeman, Jamie. "Jamie Freeman official website". Archived from the original on 4 March 2016.
- Davy, John (26 November 2013). "FATEA Reviews". FATEA. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- "GRAMMY NOMINATION!". Mary Gauthier. Retrieved 30 May 2019.
- "Jamie Freeman". Facebook.com. Retrieved 30 May 2019.
- "Jamie Freeman". Facebook.com. Retrieved 30 May 2019.
- Pratt, David (26 March 2019). "Jamie Freeman: Dreams About Falling | Folk Radio". Folk Radio UK - Folk Music Magazine. Retrieved 30 May 2019.
- "FATEA - Home". Fatea-records.co.uk. Retrieved 13 August 2020.
- "Jamie Freeman - Hasia dreams". Americanrootsuk.com. Retrieved 13 August 2020.
- "2013 wrapped up with Jamie Freeman". Spiral Earth. Archived from the original on 12 September 2015. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- Hughes, David (2013). "FATEA – Reviews". FATEA. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "Self Help Group – Not Waving But Drowning". Americanrootsuk.com. Retrieved 6 December 2015.
- "The Self Help Group – Dead Stars". brightonsfinest.com. Retrieved 6 December 2015.
- "FATEA – Reviews". fatea-records.co.uk. Retrieved 6 December 2015.
- "Jamie Freeman Agreement – 100 Miles From Town". Americanrootsuk.com. Retrieved 6 December 2015.