Gillan in 2019
|No. 7 – Cleveland Browns|
|Born:||4 July 1997|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||207 lb (94 kg)|
|High school:||Leonardtown (Leonardtown, Maryland)|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 9, 2019|
Originally from Inverness, Gillan first played for Highland Rugby Club, before attending and playing rugby for Merchiston Castle School in Edinburgh. He then moved to Leonardtown, Maryland in 2014, and played college football at Arkansas-Pine Bluff, receiving the scholarship offer through a Facebook invitation. Across his four years at Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Gillan had a total of 9,024 yards on 214 punts and average of 42.2 yards per punt. During a pre-draft workout, he reportedly popped three regulation-size NFL footballs.
After going undrafted in the 2019 NFL Draft, Gillan signed with the Cleveland Browns. In the team's second 2019 preseason game against the Indianapolis Colts, Gillan blasted a 74-yard punt. On 31 August 2019, he was named the starting punter for the Cleveland Browns over veteran Britton Colquitt.
In Week 2, Gillan punted six times, five landing inside the 20 with a long of 47 in a 23-3 win over the New York Jets, earning him AFC Special Teams Player of the Week. After having 11 punts inside the 20 and only allowing 19 punt return yards Gillian was named AFC Special Teams Player of the Month in September.
Gillan is nicknamed "The Scottish Hammer."
- "Jamie Gillan". ClevelandBrowns.com. Retrieved 4 June 2019.
- D'Andrea, Christian (6 May 2019). "'Scottish Hammer' tells us all about his wild journey to the NFL". SBNation.com. Retrieved 4 June 2019.
- "Jamie Gillan – Football". UA Pine Bluff Athletics. Retrieved 4 June 2019.
- Grossi, Tony (4 May 2019). "The legend of the Scottish Hammer precedes punting prospect Jamie Gillan to Browns rookie camp". ESPN.com. Retrieved 4 June 2019.
- Forbes, Greg (22 February 2019). "Path To The Draft: An Interview With The "Scottish Hammer" Jamie Gillan". Ninety-Nine Yards: American Football for UK fans. Retrieved 4 June 2019.
- Withers, Tom. "Great scot: Browns rookie punter has Scottish heritage". Yahoo! News. Retrieved 4 June 2019.
- "#NFLGOLDENLION: Jamie Gillan Signs with Cleveland Browns as Undrafted Free Agent". UA Pine Bluff Athletics. Retrieved 4 June 2019.
- "Gillan Drills 74-Yard Punt In Browns' Preseason Win". UA Pine Bluff Athletics. 17 August 2019. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- "Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson among Players of the Week". NFL.com. 18 September 2019. Retrieved 1 October 2019.
- Stubbs, Roman (22 September 2019). "The Scottish Hammer: How Jamie Gillan went from Scotland to an HBCU to Browns rookie standout". Washington Post. Retrieved 1 October 2019.
|This biographical article relating to sport in Scotland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article relating to an American football punter is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|