Jamie Herrell after she was crowned Miss Philippines Earth 2014.
Jamie Herrell[fn 1]
July 12, 1994
|Home town||Cebu City, Cebu, Philippines|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Title||Reyna ng Aliwan 2013|
Sinulog Festival Queen 2013
Miss MegaCebu 2013
Miss Philippines Earth 2014
Miss Earth 2014
|Beauty pageant titleholder|
|Miss Philippines Earth 2014|
Miss Earth 2014
Jamie Herrell[fn 1] (born July 12, 1994) is a Filipino-American actress, TV Host, news anchor, dancer and beauty queen. She won Miss Philippines Earth 2014 and Miss Earth 2014 titles. Herrell was a recipient of the Outstanding Individual Award during the 80th Cebu City Charter Day Awarding Ceremony for her environmental advocacies.
Life and career
Early life and career beginnings
Herrell was born on July 12, 1994 in Glendora, east of Los Angeles, California to James Edward Herrell (April 22, 1934 – March 1, 2013), an American from Seattle, Washington, and Mary Snow "Snowie" del Rosario (born October 15, 1961), a Filipino from Medellin, Cebu.
Herrell spent her childhood in the United States and then settled down in Cebu City where her mother is from. In Cebu, she was a Mass Communication student at the University of San Jose-Recoletos before transferring to International Academy of Film and Television to study acting. Aside from studying, she also manages her own dance company called Mactan Dynamics. She was also a former managerial director of Solid Source Trading for the Visayas Region. She acted in a few commercials and short films prior joining beauty pageants.
Pre Miss Earth
She competed in the Miss Resorts World Manila 2013 pageant, where she was unplaced. She won three titles in 2013: Sinulog Festival Queen 2013, Miss MegaCebu 2013, and Reyna ng Aliwan 2013.
Miss Philippines Earth 2014
Herrell participated in and won Miss Philippines Earth 2014 during the pageant's coronation night at the SM Mall of Asia Arena on May 11, 2014. Beating 49 other contestants, she qualified for the international Miss Earth crown on the same year.
During the question-and-answer portion, Herrell was asked by former Akbayan lawmaker Risa Hontiveros, "Do you think that we, human beings, have been good children to Mother Earth?" Herrell answered:
Honestly, in my opinion, we haven't been good children. In fact, I believe that we are the number one cause of her problems, we are the reason why we're having climate change, and we are the reason why we're having floods. But in return, if we can only help her and salvage her, she will help us back and take care of us, too.
During the final question-and-answer portion,Herrell was asked by former Miss Earth 2008 Karla Henry ,What quality do you think make a Miss Phillippines Earth ?Herrell answered:
A quality that makes a Miss Phillippines Earth is dedication . Is about wanting and fighting for the title, it not only about winning the crown . It also about using the title to influence our children and people of the community .If I win the crown tonight, I will use my title to influence our climate . Thank you !
Miss Earth 2014
On November 29, 2014, Herrell was crowned Miss Earth 2014 at the UP Theater by her predecessor, Alyz Henrich from Venezuela and obtained the second Miss Earth crown after Karla Henry's victory in 2008.
Media and environmental activism
On December 16, 2014, Harrell joined members of the EcoWaste Coalition at a school in Paco, Manila to campaign against the use of firecrackers to avoid injuries and pollution during the New Year revelries.
Herrell flew to her hometown, Cebu, to celebrate her victory in here hometown and had various courtesy calls, press interviews, and environmental activities. During Christmas Eve, Herrell visited to Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center which serves as the home of the world-famous Cebu dancing inmates of whom she is a fan.
Herrell led a thousand dancers and artists in performing the finale of the grand parade during Sinulog Festival in January together with seven other beauty queens. The festival is an opportunity to express gratitude to the Holy Child. In the same month, Herrell became the cover story in a local magazine. In the interviews, she shared that she and her Miss Philippines court are part of an ongoing environmental campaign called "Think Twice" in which they do school tours and seminars and instruct and inspire people on how they can think twice in finding alternatives to help the environment by conserving energy and minimizing carbon footprint.
In February 2015, Herrell spearheaded the "Think Twice" campaign in various school tours with her Miss Philippines Earth 2014 elemental court. One of which is a school in Manila where aside from sharing their environmental knowledge to the students, they also distributed recyclable rulers to these high school students. Another event was when Jamie and her court went to a school in Sta. Rosa, Laguna to do various environmental campaigns and led the cutting of ribbon ceremony of the school's "Eco-Garden". Jamie also traveled to Placer, Masbate the same month to take part as one of the judges of the provincial pageant for Miss Philippines Earth.
Herrell was once again featured as one of the three beauty queens in a magazine through Muse magazine in their March 2015 issue. The other beauty queens are Miss International 2013 Bea Santiago and Miss Universe 2013 Third Runner Up Ariella Arida.
Herrell hosted the Makati Earth Hour 2015 at the Ayala Triangle Gardens and Tower One and Exchange Plaza on March 28, 2015 which has been held by the city government since 2008 together with partners to lower carbon dioxide emissions and enhance awareness among residents, the business community, and other stakeholders on the importance of lower energy consumption.
Herrell led the Earth Day Bike Parade on April 21 together with Miss Philippines Earth 2015 candidates and Miss Earth Foundation's Princess Manzon. The ride is organized by the National Bike Organization and the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, which aims to promote non-motorized transportation in support of the objectives of the Clean Air Act. Herrell was featured in the Earth Day event at Ninoy Aquino Parks & Wildlife Center with a theme of "Earth Day Everyday, Everywhere, for Everyone" together with some candidates of the Miss Philippines Earth 2015 and showed solidarity for a common Earth-dedicated objective. Also in celebration of Earth Day, Herrell was invited by Thomson Reuters where she spoke about her environmental advocacy during a forum at McKinley Hill. Herrell also took part in the "Make a Pledge" campaign and encouraged everyone to "Think Twice" about the potential impact of our every day lifestyle choices on the sustainability of the planet Earth.
Herrell, together with Miss Earth Foundation executives Catherine Untalan and AJ Mira, did a courtesy visit and environmental presentation at Malacañang Palace in May 2015. She then appeared on the cover of Zee Lifestyle magazine in their May 2015 issue and talked about her environmental responsibilities and how she shares Megaworld Corporation's vision of preserving Mactan's natural resources and cultural heritage. Herrell joined a roster of women from the University of Cebu's Candice Gotianuy, Southwestern University's Maris Aznar Holopainen, and the University of Southern Philippines Foundation and shared their dedication in raising industry standards and keeping up with technological advances in order to provide quality education to Cebuanos. This marks the third magazine cover of Jamie since winning the crown of Miss Earth.
Herrell screened the aspired candidates for Miss Philippines Earth 2015 and participated in all the environmental activities of the pageant. And on May 31, 2015, Jamie passed the crowned to the new winner, Angelia Ong of the City of Manila.
Herrell's international trip started officially when she traveled to Sri Lanka after her Miss Philippines Earth 2015 duties. Herrell conducted interviews and pictorials for Derana TV and for various magazines and newspapers including Hi Magazine, Sunday Lankadeepa and Sunday Times. She also participated in a tree planting activity and a toured Colombo. Herrell visited the Miss Earth Sri Lanka 2015 pageant and at the end of the event, Herrell together with Miss Earth Sri Lanka 2014 Imaya Liyanage, crowned Visna Fernando as the winner of Miss Earth Sri Lanka 2015. She also led a lake clean-up activity with Derana TV, the Miss Earth Sri Lanka beauties and volunteers. Thereafter, she visited the Sri Lanka Tourism Promotion Bureau where she planted the one millionth tree of the bureau's "1 Million Tree Project".
On July 23, 2015, Herrell traveled to the Miss Earth Reunion 2015 pageant on Reunion Island. On July 25, Herrell and Miss Earth Reunion 2014 Lolita Hoarau crowned Jade Soune-Seyne as the Miss Earth Reunion 2015. Weeks before her departure to Reunion Island, Jamie was on the cover of the June - July 2015 issue of Imag'in magazine which is a lifestyle magazine published in Reunion Island.
Herrell was a featured guest in the Act Now! Conference 2015 in Joensuu, Finland from September 7 to 11 2015 which focused on renewable energy together with Filipe Pinto, the winner of Ídolos Portugal season 3. She participated in the conference organised by ENO Programme Association and conducted workshops regarding renewable energy and tree planting activity in Koli Peace Park. Miss Earth 2012 Tereza Fajksová and Miss Earth 2010 Nicole Faria also attended the conference in 2013 and in 2011, respectively.
Right after her trip to Finland, Herrell traveled to Mexico for Miss Earth México 2015 pageant. She was welcomed by the Miss Earth Mexico 2014 winner, Yareli Carrillo, and Miss Earth Mexico's national director, Paul Marsell.
Awards and Commendations
President and Congress commendations
Herrell was commended by the office of the President of the Philippines and was honored both by the upper house and the lower house of the Philippine Congress by approving congress resolutions recognizing her victory in the Miss Earth pageant.
The office of the Philippine President, Benigno Aquino III applauded Herrell through the Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma, Jr., for winning the Miss Earth 2014 beauty title and stated that her feat once again placed the Philippines on the world map in terms of beauty and talent.
The Senate of the Philippines made a press release which indicated that Senate Resolution No. 1039, authored by Senator Manuel Lapid, acknowledged the accomplishment of Herrell when she won the Miss Earth 2014 title against 83 other delegates around the world. She attended the Senate session where she was feted by the Philippine senators and bestowed a copy of a resolution to applaud her feat. The Senate resolution stated "By being crowned this year's most beautiful woman on the planet, Jamie Herrell gave Filipinos unparalleled pride and showed the world the grace and excellence of Filipino beauty."
The lower congress, House of Representatives of the Philippines also passed the HR01726 which is the House Resolution commending Herrell for winning the Miss Earth crown. Herrell was accompanied by the other elemental queens of Miss Earth 2014 attended the House of Representative session where she was given a copy of the resolution.
Outstanding Individual Award
On February 24, 2017, Herrell was bestowed the Outstanding Individual Award during the 80th Cebu City Charter Day awarding ceremony for her work in Sustainable Environment and Good Livelihood for the community.
- Jamie Herrell was born in the United States. Thus, she does not possess her mother's maiden name which is del Rosario.
- Herrell's birth certificate lists no middle name, despite the sometime reported middle name of "del Rosario." See the California Birth Index, 1905–1995. Center for Health Statistics, California Department of Health Services, Sacramento, California.
- Jose D. Patao Jr. (November 7, 2014). "Jamie Herrell aims for Philippines' 2nd Miss Earth crown". Retrieved December 5, 2014.
- "Jamie Herrell: Miss Philippines Earth 2014 Winner". philnews.ph. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- Locsin, Joel (2014). "Pinay bags Miss Earth 2014 title". GMA Network. Retrieved November 29, 2014.
- Жигарева, Гертруда (2014). "Россиянка получила титул "Мисс огонь" на конкурсе "Мисс Земля" (in Russian)". Moskovskij Komsomolets. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- "Miss Earth 2014 Crown Goes To Miss Philippines". Travelers Today. 2014. Retrieved November 29, 2014.
- "الفلبينية هيريل تنتزع تاج جمال الأرض (in Arabic)". Elaph.com. 2014. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- Cuizon, Razel (February 26, 2017). "Outstanding Cebuanos, institutions get CH nod". Sun.Star Cebu. Retrieved February 26, 2017.
- Cuison, Razel (February 26, 2017). "Cebu City hall recognizes 'real heroes' of city". Sun.Star Cebu. Retrieved February 26, 2017.
- Demecillo, Jean Marvette A. (February 25, 2017). "Cebu City honors outstanding individuals, groups". The Freeman. Philippine Star. Retrieved February 26, 2017.
- "Person Details for James Herrell, "United States Social Security Death Index" — FamilySearch.org". familysearch.org. Retrieved February 22, 2015.
- "A Million Thanks, Mommy Snow". YouTube. May 9, 2013. Retrieved February 22, 2015.
- United States Public Record Number 306776911
- "Good daughter of Mother Earth". Philippine Star. Retrieved May 17, 2015.
- "Miss Resorts World Manila 2013 candidates meet the press; Best in Swimsuit chosen | Gallery | PEP.ph: The Number One Site for Philippine Showbiz". pep.ph. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- "The Lifestyle Hub: Choose your bet for Miss Resorts World Manila 2013". lifestylehub.net. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- "Sinulog Festival Queen 2013 - Sun.Star Philippines Gallery". gallery.sunstar.com.ph. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- "Role readied for Miss Earth in Sinulog 2015 ". GMA News Online. Retrieved February 22, 2015.
- "Ms PH Earth Cebu City: Jamie Herrell". rappler.com. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- "Updated List: Jamie Herrell is Miss Philippines Earth 2014 winner | TheSummitExpress". thesummitexpress.com. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- "19-year-old Cebuana is Miss Philippines Earth 2014 | Entertainment, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com". philstar.com. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- "Cebu beauty crowned Miss Philippines Earth 2014 | ABS-CBN News". Archived from the original on May 12, 2014. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- "FULL LIST: Miss Philippines Jamie Herrell is Miss Earth 2014, winners here". Rappler. Nov 29, 2014. Retrieved 29 November 2014.
- "La corona de Miss Tierra se quedó en casa (in Spanish)". El Universal. 2014. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- "MISS PHILIPPINES CROWNED MISS EARTH 2014". The Times of India. 2014. Retrieved November 29, 2014.
- "Miss Earth 2014 Jamie Herrell answers issue about her winning!". ABS-CBN. November 30, 2014. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- "Miss Earth, EcoWaste campaign vs. firecrackers". GMA Network. December 16, 2014. Retrieved December 16, 2014.
- "Toxic Free Campaign with Miss Earth 2014 and EcoWaste Coalition". Miss Earth. December 16, 2014. Retrieved December 16, 2014.
- "Nothing beats home for Jamie Herrell". Philippine Star. December 20, 2014. Retrieved December 20, 2014.
- "Miss Earth back home in Cebu". Cebu Daily News. December 20, 2014. Retrieved December 20, 2014.
- "They've got her back". Manila Bulletin. December 24, 2014. Archived from the original on May 18, 2015. Retrieved December 24, 2014.
- "Cebu's dancing inmates perform before loved ones, Mega Cebu on Christmas Eve". Cebu Daily News. December 26, 2014. Retrieved December 26, 2014.
- "Role readied for Miss Earth in Sinulog 2015". GMA Network. Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- "Cebuana beauties to lead Sinulog 2015 grand finale". Philippine Star. Retrieved January 9, 2015.
- "A queen comes home". Sun Star. January 23, 2015. Retrieved January 23, 2015.
- "Distribution of Recyclable Rulers to High School Students". Miss Earth. February 22, 2015. Retrieved February 22, 2015.
- "Miss Earth's tweet". Miss Earth. March 17, 2015. Retrieved March 17, 2015.
- "Muses Of The World - www.muse.ph". Muse magazine. March 17, 2015. Retrieved March 17, 2015.
- "Makati celebrates 2015 Earth Hour, aims for higher energy savings, lower CO2 emission". Makati City. March 27, 2015. Retrieved March 27, 2015.
- "Makati celebrates Earth Hour 2015". The Manila Times. May 18, 2015. Retrieved March 28, 2015.
- "The 2015 Earth Day Bike Parade". aktivshow.com. May 18, 2015. Retrieved April 19, 2015.
- "MM Earth Day 'Bike' Ride set on April 19". Philippine Information Agency. May 18, 2015. Archived from the original on June 27, 2015. Retrieved April 19, 2015.
- "Earth Day 2015 for MPE2015". normannorman.com. May 18, 2015. Retrieved April 22, 2015.
- "Miss Earth 2014 Jamie Herrell". Thomson Reuters. May 18, 2015. Retrieved April 24, 2015.
- "Zee Lifestyle showcases good design with the May 2015 issue". Zee Lifestyle Magazine. May 18, 2015. Retrieved May 14, 2015.
- "Mga hindi nanalo sa Bb. Pilipinas, hindi puwedeng sumali sa Ms. Earth". ABS-CBN. March 24, 2015. Retrieved March 24, 2015.
- "Angelia Ong crowned Miss Philippines Earth 2015". CNN Philippines. June 16, 2015. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- "Angelia Ong of Manila is Miss Philippines Earth 2015". Philippine Star. June 16, 2015. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- "Angelia Ong is Miss Philippines Earth 2015". Manila Standard Today. June 16, 2015. Retrieved June 3, 2015.
- "Derana Goya Miss Sri Lanka for Miss Earth 2015". Sunday Times. June 16, 2015. Archived from the original on June 10, 2015. Retrieved June 10, 2015.
- "Derana Miss Sri Lanka for Miss Earth 2015 Grand Finale". Mirror Citizen. 2015. Retrieved June 5, 2015.
- "Jade Soune Seyne couronnée Miss Earth Réunion 2015". Zinfos 974. July 25, 2015. Retrieved July 25, 2015.
- "Jade Soune-Seyne est Miss Earth Réunion". Linfo. July 26, 2015. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- "Imag'in Magazine Cover". Imag'in's official Facebook page. July 25, 2015. Retrieved July 10, 2015.
- "Portugalin Idols-voittaja laulaa metsistä Joensuussa". Karjalainen. September 10, 2015. Retrieved September 12, 2015.
- "ACT NOW! Every Spark Matters – Every Act Counts". Act Now!. May 18, 2015. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- "Miss Earth México será electa en Tulum". Sipse.com. August 18, 2015. Retrieved August 19, 2015.
- "Palace congratulates Jamie Herrell for winning this year's 'Miss Earth' title". Office of the President of the Philippines. Archived from the original on January 5, 2015. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- Yabes, Oscar (December 9, 2014). "Resolution Congratulating and Commending Jamie Herrell for Honoring the Philippines with the Prestigious Miss Earth 2014 title" (PDF). Senate of the Philippines. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 6, 2016. Retrieved March 4, 2016.
- "House of Representatives - 16th Congress of the Philippines". congress.gov.ph. Retrieved February 22, 2015.
- "Palace congratulates Jamie Herrell for winning this year's 'Miss Earth' title". radyonatin.com. Retrieved February 22, 2015.
- "Palace congratulates Herrell for Miss Earth win". ABS-CBN. Archived from the original on January 5, 2015. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- "Palace congratulates Jamie Herrell for winning this year's 'Miss Earth' title " Philippine Canadian Inquirer". canadianinquirer.net. Retrieved February 22, 2015.
- "Miss Earth 2014 Jamie Herrell honored by Philippine congress - Archives - Miss Earth - Beauty Pageants - Indiatimes". Femina Miss India. Retrieved February 22, 2015.
- Tomambo, Cesar (December 9, 2014). "Senate President Franklin M. Drilon presents a copy of Senate Resolution 1039 to Jamie Herrell". Senate of the Philippines. Archived from the original on March 6, 2016. Retrieved March 4, 2016.
- "Senate commends author F. Sionil Jose and Miss Earth Jamie Herrell". GMA News Online. Retrieved February 22, 2015.
- "Senate commends Miss Earth 2014". Senate of the Philippines. Archived from the original on January 11, 2015. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
|Awards and achievements|
| Miss Earth
Angelee delos Reyes
| Miss Philippines Earth