McKelvie at the New York Comic Con in Manhattan, 10 October 2010.
|Born||8 May 1980 (37 years)
|Area(s)||Cartoonist, Writer, Penciller, Inker, Letterer|
|The Wicked + The Divine
Long Hot Summer
Since 2003, McKelvie has collaborated with journalist Kieron Gillen on a comic strip for the official PlayStation Magazine UK, entitled Save Point. He has worked on a number of projects for Image Comics, including Phonogram. His next major work was with colorist Guy Major and Matthew Wilson on his creator-owned series Suburban Glamour.
He has done various work for Marvel Comics, including a run on Defenders with Matt Fraction, and the X-Men: Season One graphic novel with Dennis Hopeless. He has collaborated with Gillen on a relaunch of Young Avengers for Marvel. Currently he and Gillen are working on a third volume of Phonogram, and on a new series called The Wicked + The Divine.
McKelvie has redesigned a number of characters' costumes. This includes the 2012 redesign of long-time character Carol Danvers, for a relaunch of the character as the new Captain Marvel. Subsequently, in late 2013, the design for Kamala Khan's outfit when she becomes Ms Marvel was unveiled. He has also made available his personal takes on Wonder Woman, Iron Man and Cyclops.
McKelvie has said that he eschews practicality when creating his Marvel designs, stating that he considers the "message a [..] character's design is putting across", and specifically for Ms. Marvel, the design reflects "the Captain Marvel legacy, and also her story and her background".
- "Loss" (with writer Amber Benson, in Four Letter Worlds, 144 pages, Image Comics, April 2005, ISBN 1-58240-439-9)
- Long Hot Summer (with Eric Stephenson, graphic novel, 96 pages, Image Comics, September 2005, ISBN 1-58240-559-X)
- Phonogram (with Kieron Gillen, 2 volume limited series, Image Comics, 2006, 2009): collected as:
- Suburban Glamour (script and art, 4-issue mini-series, Image Comics, October 2007. tpb, 104 pages, Image, April 2008, ISBN 1-58240-878-5)
- "Migas" (with writer Matt Fraction, Nightcrawler story in X-Men: Divided We Stand No. 1, comics anthology, Marvel Comics, June 2008)
- Cable (with writer Duane Swierczynski, issues 11 and 12, Marvel Comics, 2009): collected within:
- Gotham Gazette (part, with writer Fabian Nicieza, issues Batman Dead? #1 and Batman Alive? #1, DC Comics): collected within:
- SIEGE Loki (with writer Kieron Gillen, one shot (April 2010), Marvel Comics): collected within:
- Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man (with writer Brian Michael Bendis, Co-Artist Issue 150, Marvel Comics)
- Invincible Iron Man (with writer Matt Fraction, back up stories in issues 32 and 33, Marvel Comics)
- Generation Hope (with writer Kieron Gillen, issues 5 and 9, Marvel Comics): collected within:
- Secret Avengers (with writer Warren Ellis, issue 16, Marvel Comics, August 2011): collected within
- X-Men Season One (with writer Dennis Hopeless, graphic novel, 136 pages, Marvel Comics, March 2012, ISBN 0-78515-645-3)
- Defenders (with writer Matt Fraction, issues 8–11): collected within
- Marvel Now Point One (part, with Kieron Gillen, Marvel Comics, 2012)
- Young Avengers (with Kieron Gillen, Marvel Comics, 2013-4): collected as:
- The Wicked + The Divine (with Kieron Gillen, Image Comics, 2014–): collected as:
- Hack/Slash No. 11 (alternative cover)
- Captain Marvel No. 7, 9
- Ms. Marvel No. 1 (alternative cover), No. 2-9
- Nightcrawler (2014–) No. 2, 3, 4, 5, 7
- [Revolutionary War: Omega] (2014), No. 1
- The Fuse No. 3 (alternative cover)
- Kudos 2, Positech Games
- Richards, Dave (9 October 2012). "EXCLUSIVE: Gillen & McKelvie Assemble New Volume of "Young Avengers"". Comic Book Resources.
- Gillen, Kieron (27 September 2012). "Oh, Our Meeting Lit a Fuse in My Heart, Devoured Me". Phonogram.
- Wheeler, Andrew (9 January 2014). " Exclusive: Gillen & McKelvie Announce 'The Wicked + the Divine' For Image" Archived 29 April 2015 at the Wayback Machine.. Comics Alliance.
- Khouri, Andy (4 March 2011). " Jamie McKelvie’s Art Brut Album Cover with Exclusive Kieron Gillen Commentary" Archived 10 November 2013 at the Wayback Machine.. Comics Alliance.
- " Art Brut's 'Brilliant! Tragic!' album cover art by Jamie McKelvie". Marvel.com. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- Reed, Patrick A. (1 September 2011). "Pop Music Comics: Brilliant! Tragic! (inspired by the songs Of Art Brut)". Depth of Field Magazine.
- Orbit Books (4 January 2013).Cover Story: THE SHAMBLING GUIDE TO NYC by Mur Lafferty
- Ching, Albert (22 March 2012). "Jamie McKelvie Details his Captain Marvel Redesign". Newsarama..
- "P:R Approved: Jamie McKelvie’s Ms. Marvel". Project Rooftop. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- "Wonder Woman by Jamie McKelvie". Project Rooftop. 26 April 2006. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- "Jamie McKelvie’s Iron Man". Project Rooftop. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- "Jamie McKelvie Presents…X-Men’s Cyclops with Moustache". ifanboy.com. 2011-05-31. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- Albert Ching (22 March 2012). "Jamie McKelvie Details his CAPTAIN MARVEL Redesign". Newsarama. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- "STEWART, MCKELVIE & MORE TALK COSTUME DESIGN IN MODERN COMICS". Unknown parameter
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jamie McKelvie.|
- Official website
- Jamie McKelvie's Workblog
- Jamie McKelvie at the Comic Book DB
- Jamie McKelvie on Tumblr
- McKelvie, Jamie (31 March 2009). "Digital Creator Spotlight – Jamie McKelvie". Marvel.com.
- Moondaughter, Wolfen (February 2005). "Let Me Introduce You: Jamie McKelvie". Sequential Tart.
- Rappaport, Adrienne (September 2005). "Jamie McKelvie". Sequential Tart.
- Khouri, Andy (11 July 2007). "'A Life Less Ordinary: McKelvie's 'Suburban Glamour'". Comic Book Resources.
- Storm, Marc (11 February 2009). "Cable: Independent Spirit". Marvel.com.