Jamie McKendrick (born in 1955) is an English poet.
Early life and education
McKendrick was born in Liverpool in 1955.
McKendrick has published five collections of poetry. He is the editor of The Faber Book of 20th-Century Italian Poems (2004).
McKendrick has translated six books of fiction by the Italian novelist Giorgio Bassani, including The Garden of the Finzi-Continis, published as individual volumes by Penguin in the United Kingdom, and scheduled to be published together in an omnibus by W. W. Norton in the United States. McKendrick is the third translator to tackle Bassani. Though one reviewer for the Times Literary Supplement complained that his rendering was inappropriately colloquial, another praised him as "undoubtedly Bassani's finest translator yet, capturing his elegance and subtle ironies."  A reviewer for The Guardian judged that "McKendrick's unforced translation accurately captures Bassani's lucid, luminous style."
McKendrick was named as one of the Poetry Society's 'New Generation' poets in the 1990s, with the Society selecting his 1997 collection Marble Fly as a Poetry Society Book Choice. Marble Fly also won the 'Best Poetry Collection of the Year' award at the Forward Poetry Prize ceremony.
Other awards include:
- 2010 Oxford-Weidenfeld Translation Prize for Valerio Magrelli’s The Embrace
- 2003 Society of Authors Travel Award
- 1994 Southern Arts Literature Award
- 1991 Arts Council Writers' Award
- 1984 Eric Gregory Award
- The Sirocco Room (Oxford University Press, 1991)
- The Kiosk on the Brink (Oxford University Press, 1993)
- The Marble Fly (Oxford University Press, 1997)
- Sky Nails: Poems 1979-1997 (Faber and Faber, 2000)
- Ink Stone (Faber and Faber, 2003)
- Crocodiles and Obelisks (Faber and Faber, 2007)
- The Embrace: Selected Poems by Valerio Magrelli (Faber and Faber, 2009)
- Out There (Faber and Faber, 2012)
- "Giorgio Bassani". Penguin UK. Penguin UK. Retrieved April 18, 2018.
- "The Novel of Ferrara". W. W. Norton & Co. W. W. Norton & Co. Retrieved April 18, 2018.
- Gunn, Dan (January 4, 2008). "All Not Lost". Times Literary Supplement. London. Retrieved April 18, 2018.
- Naffis-Sahely, André (August 3, 2012). "The Slide into Barbarism". Times Literary Supplement. London. Retrieved April 18, 2018.
- Hutchinson, Ben (March 31, 2012). "The Gold-Rimmed Spectacles by Giorgio Bassani – review". The Guardian. London. Retrieved April 18, 2018.