Jamie McKendrick (born in 1955) is an English poet.
Early life and education
McKendrick was born in Liverpool in 1955.
McKendrick has published five collections of poetry. He is the editor of The Faber Book of 20th-Century Italian Poems (2004).
McKendrick was named as one of the Poetry Society's 'New Generation' poets in the 1990s, with the Society selecting his 1997 collection Marble Fly as a Poetry Society Book Choice. Marble Fly also won the 'Best Poetry Collection of the Year' award at the Forward Poetry Prize ceremony.
Other awards include:
- 2010 Oxford-Weidenfeld Translation Prize for Valerio Magrelli’s The Embrace
- 2003 Society of Authors Travel Award
- 1994 Southern Arts Literature Award
- 1991 Arts Council Writers' Award
- 1984 Eric Gregory Award
- The Sirocco Room (Oxford University Press, 1991)
- The Kiosk on the Brink (Oxford University Press, 1993)
- The Marble Fly (Oxford University Press, 1997)
- Sky Nails: Poems 1979-1997 (Faber and Faber, 2000)
- Ink Stone (Faber and Faber, 2003)
- Crocodiles and Obelisks (Faber and Faber, 2007)
- The Embrace: Selected Poems by Valerio Magrelli (Faber and Faber, 2009)
- Out There (Faber and Faber, 2012)