Jamie N Commons
|Jamie N Commons|
22 October 1988|
|Origin||New Cross, London, England|
Early life and education
Jamie N Commons was born in Bristol, England, United Kingdom but was raised, in part, in Chicago, Illinois in the United States. His full name is Jamie Nick Commons. At age 6, Commons' family moved to Chicago, which would lead to his appreciation of American blues, folk, and swamp rock music and of artists, notable among which are The Allman Brothers Band.
His song with X Ambassadors, "Jungle", is featured in the trailers for Season 2 of Orange Is the New Black, the video game Battlefield Hardline and the film Pitch Perfect 2. In addition, the song also appeared in the advertisements for Beats by Dre, which ran during the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil, and the film Horrible Bosses 2. WWE used the song in the commercial for WWEShop.com and as the theme song for the PPV WWE Battleground. "Jungle" played in the end credits for the 2014 film Hercules as well as Project Almanac and the Hitman: Agent 47. This song also plays during an end scene in the TV series The Blacklist. The most recent version of Jungle has been used by Boston, American beer company Sam Adams for their beer.
Commons' baritone vocals, influenced by Gregg Allman, are notable for their authenticity of the blues genre, reflected through his Americanised accent and deep, "raspy" and "gritty" singing voice, earning him comparisons with Tom Waits, Johnny Cash, Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave, Greg Dulli and Mark Lanegan.
During his childhood, Commons attended church with his religious mother, while his father, an atheist, stayed at home. These experiences informed him of religion, which is a theme explored in Commons' music.
- The Baron (2011)
- Rumble and Sway (2013)
- Jamie N Commons (2016)
- "Devil in Me" (2012)
- "Rumble and Sway" (2013) #163 SNEP French Singles Chart
- "Jungle" with X Ambassadors (2013) #87 Billboard Hot 100
- "Immigrant Song" (Led Zeppelin cover) (2014) on Game of Thrones Season 4 OST
- "Karma (Hardline)" (2014) on Battlefield Hardline OST
- "Marathon" (2015)
- "Let's Do It Till We Get It Right" (2016)
- "Lead Me Home" on The Walking Dead: Original Soundtrack – Vol. 1 (2013)
- "Rumble and Sway" in Teen Wolf 3x01 (2013), Suits 3x02 (2013), The Catch 1x02 (2016) and the official trailer for Hail, Caesar! (2016)
- "Marathon" in FIFA 14 OST (2013)
- "Desperation" on Eminem's The Marshall Mathers LP 2 (2013)
- "Saturdays = Celebration" on Big K.R.I.T.'s Cadillactica (2014)
- "Jungle" in Teen Wolf Season 4x01 and end credits for Hercules (2014)
- "All Along the Watchtower" in Need for Speed (2014)
- "The Preacher" in Justified Season 6x07 (2015)
- "Walls" in Skyscraper End credits (2018)
- "Jamie N Commons". BBC Music. BBC.
- . Riff Magazine http://www.riffmagazine.com/features/brnv-jamiencommons/. Retrieved 8 June 2016. Missing or empty
- Clover, Ryan (3 August 2010). "10 Minutes with British Soul Rocket, Jamie N Commons". Swagger New York.
- Lee, Andy (1 June 2016). "Jamie N Commons' Blues is the Sound You Need". Provenance Magazine.
- Leggett, Steve. "Jamie N Commons - Artist Biography". AllMusic.
- Ferrier, Morwenna (2 October 2011). "One to watch: Jamie N Commons". The Observer.
- Commons, Jamie N (20 March 2013). "Jamie N Commons - Bruce Springsteen Support Announced". Tumblr.
- Springsteen, Bruce (23 June 2013). "Notes from the Road: Nijmegen". brucespringsteen.net.
- Antonetti, Devon. "UK Singer Jamie N Commons on Coming to America, Exploring His Blues Roots". Diffuser.fm.
- Copeland, Cooper. "On the Rise: Jamie N Commons". Out of Order.
- "Jamie N Commons". 1883 Magazine.
- "Act Detail: Jamie N Commons". European Talent Exchange Program. Archived from the original on 24 April 2014.
- Wicks, Kevin (11 March 2013). "British Breakout Interview: Jamie N Commons, Modern Bluesman". Anglophenia. BBC America.
- Swindells, Chris; Eustace, Chris (1 February 2012). "Blues and bruised in Brighton: Jamie N Commons interview". Virtual Festivals.
- "Ones to Watch: Jamie N Commons". Clash Magazine. 3 July 2012.
- Lescharts.com: Jamie N Commons discography page