Jamii Bora Bank
|James Mwangi Gacheru
Chief Executive Officer
|Products||Loans, Checking, Savings, Investments, Debit Cards|
|Revenue||Aftertax:US$981,700+ (KES:96 million) (2014)|
|Total assets||US$143.2 million (KES:14 billion) (July 2015)|
The bank was founded, as a Charitable Trust, by fifty destitute families on the streets of Nairobi, Kenya's capital and largest city. In March 2010, it merged with another financial institution with a banking license and transformed into a fully fledged commercial bank.
In March 2010, Jamii Bora merged with City Finance Bank (CFB), a small private financial services provider which, in the past, had provided services to large corporations and high-net-worth individuals. In the merger, CFB acquired JBB and took on the name of its new acquisition. Other investors in the bank include Baraka Africa Fund (BAF), and other individual investors.
In July 2015, the bank's total assets were valued at approximately US$143.2 million (KSh14 billion). As of December 2014[update], the bank's total assets were valued at about US$134 million (KES:13.1 billion), with shareholders' equity of about US$23.5 million (KES:2.5 billion).
Jamii Bora Bank is privately owned. A rights issue of US$4 to 6 million was successfully executed in the 4th quarter of 2010. In November 2011, a new consortium known as Asterisk Holdings, invested KES:410 million (approx:US$4.6 million) in Jamii Bora Bank.
|Rank||Name of Owner||Percentage Ownership|
|ShoreCap II Limited||15.25|
|2||Jamii Bora Scandinavia AB||12.17|
|3||Catalyst JBB Holdings LLC||9.65|
|4||Nordic Micro Cap Investments||7.04|
|5||Cornerstone Enterprises Limited||4.69|
- Koinange Branch - Jamii Bora House, Koinange Street, Nairobi
- Funzi Road Branch - Industrial Area, Funzi Road, Nairobi
- Ongata Rongai Branch - Ongata Rongai, Nairobi
- Thika Branch - Kenyatta Avenue, Thika
- Kikuyu Branch - Brick House, Kikuyu
- Kisumu Branch - Guilders Plaza, Odera Kango Street, Kisumu
- Kayole Branch - Kayole, Nairobi
- Nyeri Branch - Naivas Mall
- Banana Branch - Davekon Place, Limuru-Tigoni Road, Banana Town, Kiambu
- Mtwapa Branch - Mtwapa
- Muranga Branch - Kiriti Women House, Uhuru Highway, Muranga
- Mombasa Branch - Southern House, Moi Avenue, Mombasa
- Eastleigh Branch - Super Arcade, Second Avenue, Eastleigh, Nairobi
- Kawangware Branch - Mbugua Plaza Junction, Kawangware, Nairobi
- Kariobangi Branch - Outer Ring Road, Kariobangi, Nairobi
- Kiongozi Branch - Jamii Bora House, First Floor, Koinange Street, Nairobi Main Branch
- Ngong' Road Branch - Green House, Ngong' road, Nairobi
- Kirinyaga Road Branch - Kirinyaga Road, Nairobi
- Machakos Branch - Machakos Town
- Kiritiri Branch
- Kitengela Branch
- Kiambu Branch
- Wangige Branch
- Utawala Branch
- Nakuru Branch
- Kisii Branch
- Juma, Victor (13 June 2012). "Jamii Bora Shakes Up Board of Directors". Business Daily Africa. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- Mwita, Martin (1 July 2015). "Jamii Bora Rules Out Merger, To Raise KSh3 Billion". The Star (Kenya). Nairobi. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- CBK, . "Central Bank of Kenya - Bank Supervision: Commercial Banks & Mortgage Finance Institutions". Central Bank of Kenya (CBK). Archived from the original on 1 July 2014. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- Anyanzwa, James (30 March 2010). "City Finance Buys Out Jamii Bora". The Standard (Kenya) (StandardMedia.Co.Ke). Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- Mwita, Martin (1 July 2015). "Kenya: Jamii Bora Bank To Open Branches In Uchumi Shops". The Star (Kenya) via AllAfrica.com. Nairobi. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- Ngigi, George (6 December 2011). "Jamii Bora Bank Targets Mid-Tier Status In Upgrade". Business Daily Africa (Nairobi). Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- "Jamii Bora Information Memorandum Rights Issue 2017" (PDF). Jamii Bora Bank. 31 May 2017. Retrieved 2016-06-21.
- JBB, . "Branches of Jamii Bora Bank". Jamii Bora Bank (JBB). Archived from the original on 27 July 2014. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- Mwangi, Wachira (8 September 2013). "Jamii Bora Deepens Reach With Mtwapa Branch". Business Daily Africa (Nairobi). Retrieved 22 July 2014.