|Also known as||Jamil|
17 May 1961 |
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
|Occupation(s)||Comedian, guitarist, agent|
Jamil Azzaoui (in Arabic جميل عزاوي), also known as just Jamil (born 17 May 1961) is a Canadian humorous artist / comedian, musician (guitarist) and an artist agent of Moroccan origin living in Montreal and well known in France and the francophone countries.
Being born to a Muslim Moroccan father and a Québécoise Catholic mother, he lived his childhood in various countries including Egypt, France where he studied at École royale militaire de Sorèze, and Morocco, he returned to Canada and studied at Promédia, an arts school in Montreal.
After graduation, in 1981 he became a morning radio personality at CIBL-FM and later on CINQ-FM Radio Centre-Ville. In 1985, he married Catherine Karnas. Catherine, a singer, was promoted by her husband. They were divorced later. He became an agent for many artists through his company "Pépé Inc".
He also has his own series of recordings. His album Pitié pour les femmes was a big success. The follow-up Pitie pour les bums was a similar success. His song "Un signe de toi" featured in the hit parades of several stations including Rythme FM. Other humorous songs followed including "Pitié pour les femmes", "Fuck, faut qu'tu changes", "C'est pas moi ça".
In 2005, he made 100 appearances in 18 months throughout Quebec and a concert in Les FrancoFolies de Montréal and at the Lion d'or also in Montréal. In 2008, he had a show "Pitié pour les femmes" at the Olympia theatre of Montreal, He has also collaborated with many artists for various joint recordings.
- 1996: Pépé Inc. Greatest Hits
- 2004: Pitié pour les femmes
- 2005: Pitié pour les bums!
- 2006: Je dure... Très, très dur...
- 2009: À bas les roses!!!
Awards / Nominations
- Nominated for "Album of the Year (Humour)" and "Show of the Year (Humour)" at the ADISQ Annual Gala in 2009
- Serge Drouin article in Journal de Québec: Jamil intéresse les français (French)
- M. France Bornais article in Journal de Québec: Jamil, le 'bum' devenu homme(French)
- Régis Tremblay article in Le Soleil: Les nouvelles audaces de Jamil(French)
- Marie-Christine Blais article in LaPresse, Montreal: La bénéfique pitié de Jamil (French)