Jammie Dodgers are a popular British biscuit, made from shortcake with a raspberry or strawberry flavoured jam filling. Introduced in 1960, they are currently produced by Burton's Biscuit Company at its factory in Llantarnam.
In 2009, Jammie Dodgers were the most popular children's sweet biscuit brand in the United Kingdom, with 40% of the year's sales consumed by adults.
Named after the character Roger the Dodger from The Beano comics, Jammie Dodgers have been produced in the United Kingdom for over 60 years, originally by Burton's Foods. In 2011, the brand was re-launched under the "Dodgers" umbrella with two new products: Toffee and Choccie. They have been sold in other flavours too, besides raspberry and strawberry.
Jammie Dodgers are a type of linzer biscuit, which is a biscuit-size version of a linzer torte, and they are often associated with the Christmas season in other parts of the world. One commercial example is Pepperidge Farm's seasonally available linzer raspberry cookie in the United States. In New Zealand, linzer cookies are called Shrewsbury biscuits; one example is the Cookie Bear Shrewsbury biscuit from Griffin's Foods. The term Shrewsbury biscuit refers to a different product elsewhere, however. Linzer cookies are also sold as raspberry shortbread cookies.
The 2011 re-launch TV campaign received the "Best Biscuit Advert of 2011" reward from The Grocer magazine. Burton's launched a new advert for Choccie Dodgers in April 2012, during Britain's Got Talent, as part of a £4.5 million campaign.
In popular culture
Rita's boat in the 2006 animated film Flushed Away was named the Jammy Dodger.
- Collingham, Lizzie (29 October 2020). The Biscuit: The History of a Very British Indulgence. Random House. ISBN 978-1-4735-7346-8.
- "Burton's Foods launches new division for food service snack market". Caterer and Hotelkeeper. November 30, 2009. Retrieved January 18, 2013.
- "Dodgers". Burton's Biscuit Co. Retrieved February 24, 2016.
- "Top Campaigns of the Year: 31- 40". The Grocer. December 17, 2011. Retrieved January 18, 2013.
- "Burton's Biscuit Company set to launch "music battle" ad for Choccie Dodgers". The Drum. Retrieved January 18, 2013.
- "Third sculpture on the Waiwhetu Sculpture Walk tastefully unveiled". Stuff. 11 November 2016. Retrieved 31 August 2021.
- Doctor Who, retrieved 2023-04-01