Jammu and Kashmir Administrative Service
|Service recruitment board||Jammu and Kashmir Public Service Commission (JKPSC)|
|Service served||Indian citizenship|
|State||Jammu and Kashmir|
|Legal personality||Governmental; civil service|
Secretarial assistance (State and District)
|Selection||Civil Services Examination (At state level)|
|Head of the civil services|
|Administration||Government of Jammu and Kashmir|
|Chairman||Latief uz Zaman Deva |
Jammu and Kashmir Administrative Service (JKAS) is the civil service of the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir. The officers for this post are recruited by the Jammu and Kashmir Public Service Commission through an exam which is known as JKAS examination. The statewide combined competitive examination JKAS, take up various key positions which is a very dynamic and powerful post like Indian Administrative Services.
On attempting the number of questions for the JKAS post, the percentage of points are deducted in decimal numbers for each incorrect answer which makes negative marking on the pattern of Union Public Service Commission. The examination is conducted in three phases – a preliminary selection of candidate, consisting of objective-type papers which approves the eligibility of candidates to enter the main examination. The second and main phase consists of a nine question papers of essay type, necessitating candidates in descriptive type answers. and phase-III consists of viva exam pattern, involving the candidates to challenge the Oral exam, intending to judge the mental caliber of a candidate for various subject.
The selected candidates (JKAS officers) take up various administrative posts at the district level such as Sub Divisional Magistrate or Additional Deputy Commissioners and if needed, they are promoted to the IAS officer ranks like District collector (commonly known as Deputy Commissioners) after serving as the JKAS officer for a specific period. The promotion process and decisions are made by the Government of Jammu and Kashmir.
The history of Jammu and Kashmir Public Service Commission dates back to 1954 when there was no official recruiting agency in the state. It came into existence between 1954–1957, under the section 128 along with the Constitution of J&K State.
Responsibilities of a JKAS officer
The IAS officers (civil administrators) are subdivisions of the government, executing the critical actions in their respective departments as they are working at state or district level. Most of departments in J&K state are either headed by an IAS officer or a JKAS officer. The officers deal with public relations and are responsible to reduce the corruption. The officers are also responsible for internal security affairs at district level, regulating law and order to maintaining peace, and developing infrastructure for all aspects of daily operations in their respectives districts or departments.
- "mr. aa latief u zaman deva hon'ble chairman" (PDF). jkpsc.nic.in. JKPSC. 5 December 2018.
- "Interrupting Dreams". kashmirlife.net. Kashmir Life. 7 March 2018.
- "HC cancels JKAS (Mains) examination". tribuneindia.com. The Tribune. 14 March 2018.
- "J&K PSC to schedule JKAS exams on UPSC's pattern for IAS from 2019". news.statetimes.in. State Times. 30 September 2018.
- "963 qualify Kashmir Administrative Service (Mains) examination". kashmirreader.com. Kashmir Reader. Retrieved 5 December 2018.
- "J&K COMBINED COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION, 2016" (PDF). jkpsc.nic.in. Jammu and Kashmir Public Service Commission. Retrieved 5 December 2018.
- "Cabinet approves promotion of IPS, IAS, KAS officers". greaterkashmir.com. Greater Kashmir. 21 December 2017.
- "21 officers transferred". greaterkashmir.com. Greater Kashmir. 4 December 2018.
- "Unauthorized absence can't be called as abandonment of job – HC". dailyexcelsior.com. Daily Excelsior. Retrieved 4 December 2018.
- "Bhārata Kā Rājapatra The Gazette of India". books.google.co.in. Google Books. Retrieved 4 December 2018.
- "JKAS officers Association condemns misbehavior with lady officer". risingkashmir.com. Rising Kashmir. 8 August 2018.
- "General Administration Department, Government of Jammu & Kashmir". jkgad.nic.in. General Administration Department. 8 August 2018.
- "KAS officer accused of helping Janardhana Reddy arrested". oneindia.com. Oneindia. 11 December 2016.