Jammu and Kashmir Peoples Democratic Party
|Secretary-General||Nizamu Din Bhat|
|Lok Sabha leader||Mehbooba Mufti|
|Rajya Sabha leader||Nazir Ahmad Laway|
|Headquarters||2, Circuit House, Emporium Lane, Residency Road, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir, India.|
|Student wing||Peoples Democratic Student Union|
|Ideology||Self-rule in Jammu & Kashmir|
|ECI Status||State Party|
|Seats in Lok Sabha||
2 / 545
|Seats in Rajya Sabha||
2 / 245
The Jammu and Kashmir Peoples Democratic Party (JKPDP) is a state political party in Jammu and Kashmir, India. The PDP was headed and founded by Mufti Mohammed Sayeed. His daughter, Mehbooba Mufti serves as the current chief minister of Jammu and Kashmir form the party.
It was founded in 1998 by the former Union Home Minister Mufti Mohammed Sayeed, and captured power in the state of Jammu and Kashmir in October 2002 Assembly elections. In 2004 it had one member each in the Lok Sabha and in the Rajya Sabha. It was a member of the ruling United Progressive Alliance until the 2009 elections.
The PDP is headed by Mehbooba Mufti. Her father, Mufti Mohammad Sayeed, headed the PDP-Indian National Congress Coalition Government between October 2002 and November 2005, and he was the party's Patron until his death on 7 January 2016.
The PDP operates on the ideology of self-rule, as distinctly different from the issues of autonomy. It believes that self-rule as a political philosophy, as opposed to autonomy, ensures the empowerment of the people of Jammu and Kashmir, while further engaging in debates over new political territoriality of Jammu and Kashmir.
In the 2014 general elections, three of its members were elected to the Lok Sabha. Its strength in the Legislative Assembly is 28 and in the Rajya Sabha is two. The party is currently running a coalition government in Jammu and Kashmir with the Bharatiya Janata Party.
|Year||Election||Seats Won||Change in Seat||% of votes||votes swing||Ref.|
|State elections||8th Assembly||16|
|Indian general election, 1998||12th Lok Sabha||0|
|Indian general election, 2004||14th Lok Sabha||0||22.02||2||–|
|State election 2008||9th Assembly||21||5||5||–|
|Indian general election, 2009||15th Lok Sabha||0||2||–|
|Indian general election, 2014||16th Lok Sabha||3||3||20.50|||
|State election 2014||10th Assembly||28||5||22.7||7||–|
List of Chief Ministers
- Mufti Mohammad Sayeed
- First term (9 January 1983 – 16 August 1984).
- Second term (March 1, 2015 – January 7, 2016).
- Mehbooba Mufti (April 4, 2016 – present)
- "JKPDP Srinagar Office". JKPDP.org.
- "PDSU- students’ wing of PDP formulated". Greater Kashmir.
- "Self Rule Framework". JKPDP.org.
- "List of Political Parties and Election Symbols main Notification Dated 18.01.2013" (PDF). India: Election Commission of India. 2013. Retrieved 9 May 2013.
- "JKPDP History". JKPDP.org.
- "United Progressive Alliance: Partners in governance". Times of India.
- "JKPDP Office Bearers". JKPDP.org.
- "JKPDP Patron". JKPDP.org.
- "Rajya Sabha Polls in Jammu and Kashmir: PDP Wins Two".
- Election Commission 2014.
|This article about an Indian political party is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|