Jammu and Kashmir Peoples Democratic Party
This article is missing information about the party's ideology.(August 2017)
|Rajya Sabha leader||Fayaz Ahmad Mir|
|Founder||Mufti Mohammed Sayeed|
|Headquarters||2, Circuit House, Emporium Lane, Residency Road, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir, India|
|Student wing||Peoples Democratic Student Union|
|ECI Status||State Party|
|Seats in Lok Sabha||
1 / 545
|Seats in Rajya Sabha||
2 / 245
The Jammu and Kashmir Peoples Democratic Party (JKPDP or PDP) is a state political party in Jammu and Kashmir, India. The PDP was headed and founded by Mufti Mohammed Sayeed. His daughter, Mehbooba Mufti, succeeded him as party leader and as Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir following his death in January 2016.
The PDP was founded in 1998 by the former Union Home Minister Mufti Mohammed Sayeed. It captured power in Jammu and Kashmir in October 2002 Assembly elections. In 2004 it had one member each in the Lok Sabha and in the Rajya Sabha. It was a member of the ruling United Progressive Alliance until the 2009 general election.
Sayeed headed the PDP-Indian National Congress Coalition Government between October 2002 and November 2005, and he was the party's Patron until his death on 7 January 2016. The PDP is now headed by Mehbooba Mufti, Sayeed's daughter.
The PDP operates on the ideology of self-rule, as distinctly different from the issues of autonomy. It believes that self-rule as a political philosophy, as opposed to autonomy, ensures the empowerment of the people of Jammu and Kashmir, while further engaging in debates over new political territoriality of Jammu and Kashmir.
In the 2014 general election, three of its members were elected to the Lok Sabha. Its strength in the Legislative Assembly is 28 and in the Rajya Sabha is two. The party is currently running a Coalition government in Jammu and Kashmir with the Bharatiya Janata Party.
|Year||Election||Seats Won||Change in Seat||% of votes||votes swing||Ref.|
|2002 Legislative Assembly election||8th Assembly||16|
|Indian general election, 1998||12th Lok Sabha||0|
|Indian general election, 2004||14th Lok Sabha||1||22.02||2||–|
|2008 Legislative Assembly election||9th Assembly||21||5||5||–|
|Indian general election, 2009||15th Lok Sabha||0||2||–|
|Indian general election, 2014||16th Lok Sabha||3||3||20.50|||
|2014 Legislative Assembly election||10th Assembly||28||5||22.7||7||–|
List of Chief Ministers
- Mufti Mohammad Sayeed
- First term (2 November 2002 – 2 November 2005).
- Second term (March 1, 2015 – January 7, 2016).
- Mehbooba Mufti (April 4, 2016 – present)
- "JKPDP Srinagar Office". JKPDP.org. Archived from the original on 2014-05-03.
- "PDSU- students' wing of PDP formulated". Greater Kashmir. Archived from the original on 2014-02-21.
- "List of Political Parties and Election Symbols main Notification Dated 18.01.2013" (PDF). India: Election Commission of India. 2013. Retrieved 9 May 2013.
- Mukhtar, Ahmad (28 July 1999). "Mufti floats new regional party in Kashmir". Rediff.com. Retrieved 5 March 2009.
- "JKPDP History". JKPDP.org. Archived from the original on 2014-01-09.
- "United Progressive Alliance: Partners in governance". Times of India.
- "JKPDP Patron". JKPDP.org. Archived from the original on 2014-05-14.
- "JKPDP Office Bearers". JKPDP.org. Archived from the original on 2014-05-03.
- "Self Rule Framework". JKPDP.org. Archived from the original on 2014-01-09.
- "Rajya Sabha Polls in Jammu and Kashmir: PDP Wins Two".
- Election Commission 2014.
|This article about an Indian political party is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|