Jammu and Kashmir Police
|Jammu & Kashmir Police|
The Jammu & Kashmir Police Patch
Logo of the Jammu & Kashmir Police
|Common name||JK Police|
|Motto||A Saga of Sacrifice and Courage|
|Operations jurisdiction||Jammu & Kashmir, India|
|Map of Jammu & Kashmir Police Department's jurisdiction.|
|Size||85,806 square miles (222,240 km2)|
|Legal jurisdiction||Jammu & Kashmir|
|General nature||• Local civilian agency|
Peer Bagh, Srinagar (May to October)Gulshan Ground, Jammu (November to April)
|Director General of Police responsible|
|Parent agency||Government of Jammu & Kashmir|
The Jammu and Kashmir Police or JKP, was established in 1873 and is the law enforcement agency, having primary responsibilities in law enforcement and investigation within the twenty two districts of the state of Jammu and Kashmir in India. The department serves an area of 85,806 square miles (222,236 sq km) and a population of 12,548,926 people at the 2011 census. JKP works with the Indian Army, the Central Reserve Police Force, and other Paramilitary forces of India to keep the state secure from incursions from Pakistan.
The J&K Police has prevented attacks in other Indian states by arresting terrorists en route from Pakistan.
The first specific Jammu & Kashmir police force came into existence in the year 1873 with one police officer known as Kotwal and 14 Thanedars for Srinagar City. This police force would control crime and take care of law and order situations with help of Chowkidars and Harkars, who were paid by the population out of their annual agricultural produce on a voluntary basis.
It was in 1913 that the state requisitioned the service of an Imperial Police (IP) officer on deputation and appointed Mr Broadway as the first Inspector General of Police in June, 1913. He continued to be Police chief up to 1917 and was followed by other IP officers.
Since then the Police in J&K has undergone several re-organizations, The employee strength of Police in J&K in the year 1889-90 was 1040, which further rose to 1570 in the year 1903 and forty years later, in 1943-44, the strength of J&K Police was 3179 and at present it has exceeded 83000 mark.
Jammu and Kashmir Police comes under direct control of Department of Home Affairs, Government of Jammu and Kashmir. The Jammu and Kashmir Police is headed by Director General of Police (DGP) who is always a senior IPS officer.
- Intelligence Unit (Crime Branch)
- Commando Force
- Security Battalion
- Special Operations Group
- "SP Vaid Removed As Jammu And Kashmir Police Chief". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2018-09-06.
- "Jammu and Kashmir police chief SP Vaid removed, Director General of Prisons Dilbagh Singh to take over". The Financial Express. 2018-09-06. Retrieved 2018-09-06.
- "J&K Police books CRPF men for 'killing' youth in firing : North News - India Today". Indiatoday.intoday.in. 2010-08-20. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- "J&K teacher death: Murder charges against Army men - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2007-10-21. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- Our Bureau (2004-02-22). "The Telegraph - Calcutta : Nation". Telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- Jammu & Kashmir Police