Jamshed Jiji Irani
Jamshed Jiji Irani
|Alma mater||University of Sheffield|
British Iron and Steel Research Association
Jamshed Jiji Irani, K.B.E., FREng is an Indian industrialist. Educated in Metallurgy, he joined British Iron and Steel Research Association. Later he joined Tata Steel from which he retired in 2007 as the Director. Later he served on the boards of various Tata group companies and others. He received the Padma Bhushan in 2007.
He was born on 2 June 1936. He completed a Bachelor of Science degree from Science College, Nagpur in 1956 and Master of Science degree in Geology from the Nagpur University in 1958. He completed Masters in Metallurgy in 1960 and PhD in Metallurgy in 1963 from University of Sheffield, UK. He joined British Iron and Steel Research Association as a senior scientific officer in Sheffield in 1963. He was elevated as the head of Physical Metallurgy Division there. Later he returned to India and joined The Tata Iron and Steel Company (TISCO, now Tata Steel) in 1968 as an assistant to the Director in-charge of Research and Development. He was promoted as the general superintendent in 1978, general manager in 1979, president in 1985, Managing Director in 1992 and the Director in 1998. He retired from the Tata Steel in 2001.
He joined the board of Tata Motors in June 1993 and also served as the director with Tata Sons. In 2004, the government appointed him as the Chairman of the Expert Committee for formation of the new Companies Act of India. He retired from all the post of Tata companies in 2011. He is the Chairman of Board of Governors at Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow. He and his sister Diana Hormusjee have instituted Jiji Irani Challenge Cup; a cricket tournament organised by Zorostrian Club of Secunderabad; in memory of their father.
He was conferred with the Honorary Knighthood by Elizabeth II in 1997. He received the Padma Bhushan in 2007 from Government of India. He was appointed an International Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering in 1996.
- "List of Fellows".
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Archived from the original (PDF) on November 15, 2014. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- "Jamshed J Irani retires from boards of Tata group firms". The Economic Times. 7 June 2011. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- "Electrosteel Ltd — Exec Profile". Bloomburg Businessweek. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- "At 75, J.J. Irani bids adieu to Tata Steel". The Hindu Business Line. 2 June 2011. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- Antony, A. Joseph. "The enduring charm of the Zoroastrian Club". The Hindu. Retrieved 2017-06-16.
- "J J Irani's 43-year long association with Tata Steel ends". Deccan Herald. 2011-06-06. Retrieved 2019-05-03.