Jamshid bin Abdullah of Zanzibar
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (May 2014)|
|Jamshid bin Abdullah Al Said
جمشيد بن عبد الله
|Sultan of Zanzibar|
|Reign||July 1, 1963 – January 12, 1964|
|Predecessor||Abdullah bin Khalifa|
|Successor||Abeid Karume (as President of Zanzibar)|
16 September 1929 |
|Spouse||Sayyida Anisa bint Salim Al Saidiyah
Zuleika bin Abdullah Al Aufy
|Issue||Prince Sayyid Ali bin Jamshid Al Said
Sayyida Matuka bint Jamshid Al Said
Sayyid Khalifa bin Jamshid Said
Sayyid Abdullah bin Jamshid Al Said
Sayyid Wasfi bin Jamshid Al Said
Sayyida Adla bint Jamshid Al Said
Sayyid Gharib bin Jamshid Al Said
|House||House of Al Said|
|Father||Abdullah bin Khalifa Al Said|
|Mother||Sayyida Tohfa bint Ali Al Said|
Sayyid Jamshid bin Abdullah Al Said GCMG, (Arabic: جمشيد بن عبد الله) (born 16 September 1929 in Unguja) was the last Sultan of Zanzibar. He ruled Zanzibar from 1 July 1963 to 12 January 1964. On 10 December 1963, Zanzibar received its independence from the United Kingdom as a constitutional monarchy under Jamshid. This state of affairs was short lived and he was overthrown by the Zanzibar Revolution. He fled into exile firstly to Oman and then finally to the United Kingdom, where, as of 2012, he continues to live in Portsmouth as the Head of the Zanzibari Royal Family and as the Sovereign of the Order of the Brilliant Star of Zanzibar and the Most Illustrious Order of Independence of Zanzibar. Secondly, he is married to Zuleika bin Abdullah Al Aufy.
Jamshid has seven children:
- Prince Sayyid Ali bin Jamshid Al Said (1956-).
- Sayyida Matuka bint Jamshid Al Said (1957-).
- Sayyid Khalifa bin Jamshid Said (196?).
- Sayyid Abdullah bin Jamshid Al Said (1962-).
- Sayyida Wasfi bint Jamshid Al Said (1972-).
- Sayyida Adla bint Jamshid Al Said (1973-).
- Sayyid Gharib bin Jamshid Al Said (1975-).
- 1929-1 July 1963: Sayyid Jamshid bin Abdullah Al Said.
- 1 July-9 December 1963: His Highness Sayyid Jamshid bin Abdullah, Sultan of Zanzibar.
- 9 December 1963 – 12 January 1964 His Majesty Sayyid Jamshid bin Abdullah Al Said, GCMG, Sultan of Zanzibar.
- 12 January 1964 – present: His Majesty Sayyid Jamshid bin Abdullah Al Said, GCMG, Titular Sultan of Zanzibar; head of the Zanzibari Royal Family (Al Said Dynasty).
- National Honours
- Sovereign of the Order of the Brilliant Star of Zanzibar (Wisam al-Kawkab al-Durri al-Zanzibari) since 1 July 1963 (1st class on 30 March 1960).
- Founder and Sovereign of the Most Illustrious Order of Independence of Zanzibar (Wissam al-Istiqlal) in five classes on 9 November 1963.
- Foreign Honours
|Ancestors of Jamshid bin Abdullah of Zanzibar|
Jamshid bin Abdullah of ZanzibarBorn: September 16, 1929
Abdullah bin Khalifa
|Sultan of Zanzibar
July 1, 1963 – January 12, 1964
|New title||— TITULAR —
Sultan of Zanzibar
January 12, 1964 – present
Reason for succession failure:
Sultan government abolished in 1964
Sayyid Ali bin Jamshid Al Said
- The Official Website of the Zanzibar Royal Family http://www.zanzibarroyalfamily.org
|This Zanzibari biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a member of an African royal house is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|