|J. M. Burgers|
January 13, 1895|
|Died||June 7, 1981
Washington, United States
|Institutions||Delft University of Technology
University of Maryland
|Alma mater||University of Leiden|
|Doctoral advisor||Paul Ehrenfest|
|Known for||Burgers equation
|Notable awards||ASME Medal (1965)
Otto Laporte Award (1974)
Johannes (Jan) Martinus Burgers (January 13, 1895 – June 7, 1981) was a Dutch physicist and the brother of the physicist W. G. Burgers. Burgers studied in Leiden under Paul Ehrenfest, where he obtained his PhD in 1918. He is credited to be the father of Burgers' equation, the Burgers vector in dislocation theory and the Burgers material in viscoelasticity.
Jan Burgers was one of the co-founders of the International Union of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (IUTAM) in 1946, and was its secretary-general from 1946 until 1952.
- Johannes Martinus Burgers (1918). "Het atoommodel van Rutherford-Bohr" (PDF).
- "Obituary: Jan Burgers". Physics Today. 35 (1): 84–85. January 1982. Bibcode:1982PhT....35a..84D. doi:10.1063/1.2890021.
- Fons Alkemade. "Some of IUTAM's history". IUTAM. Retrieved 2011-07-30.
- "Johannes Martinus Burgers (1895 - 1981)". Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- Nieuwstadt, F.T.M.; Steketee, J.A., eds. (1995). Selected Papers of J.M. Burgers. Kluwer Academic Publishers. ISBN 0-7923-3265-2.
- Johannes Martinus Burgers at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- A.J.Q. Alkemade, Burgers, Johannes Martinus (1895–1981), in Biografisch Woordenboek van Nederland. (in Dutch)
- "Johannes Martinus Burgers; 13 January 1895 to 7 June 1981", biography at the University of Maryland
- JM Burgers Centrum
- The Burgers program for fluid dynamics at the University of Maryland
- Oral History interview transcript with Johannes Burgers 9 June 1962, American Institute of Physics, Niels Bohr Library and Archives
- "On the emergence of patterns of order". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 69: 1–25. 1963. MR 143359. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1963-10832-0., 32nd Gibbs lecture delivered by Burgers at Philadelphia, Tuesday, 20 January 1959
|This article about a physicist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Dutch scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|