Jan Gustafsson, 2007
|Full name||Jan Gustafsson|
25 June 1979|
Hamburg, West Germany
|FIDE rating||2641 (July 2018)|
|Peak rating||2652 (November 2010)|
Jan Gustafsson (born 25 June 1979) is a German chess grandmaster. He is a co-founder of Chess24.com, and regularly analyses and commentates games for the website. His peak rating is 2652, which he attained in November 2010.
Gustafsson was born in Hamburg. His parents took a break from their careers when he was a child to spend a few years sailing in the Mediterranean Sea, and Gustafsson started playing chess in this setting as there were few other sports that were playable on a boat. The family then lived in Spain before returning to Hamburg, where Gustafsson played in the local chess club. He soon became a strong player and was part of the team that won the U13 German Team Championship in 1992. Two years later, he won the U15 German Chess Championship, and in 1996 he won both the U17 Championship and the U20 Team Championship.
Gustafsson earned his IM title in 1999, his GM title in 2003, and is one of the strongest German players; he finished second in the 2004 and 2005 German Championships, and won the German Blitz Championship in 2001. He was nominated to the German national chess team in 2002, represented his nation at the 36th, 37th, 38th and 40th Chess Olympiad, and was part of the German team that won the 2011 European Team Chess Championship. His peak Elo rating is 2652, which he attained in November 2010.
Gustafsson is involved in the Chess24.com project, in which he makes video analyses of notable chess games, and has been named by the chess historian Edward Winter as one of the top five Internet chess broadcasters. He is also a poker player and in 2007 co-authored a book on poker together with Dutch professional poker player Marcel Lüske.
- "Rating Progress Chart: Gustafsson, Jan (GER)". FIDE.
- 2. Internationale Fränkische Grossmeistertage (in German)
- Deutsche Meisterschaft 2004 (in German)
- Deutsche Meisterschaft 2005 (in German)
- 28. Deutsche Blitz-Einzelmeisterschaft 2001 Archived 2007-09-27 at the Wayback Machine. (in German)
- "Thai Open: Gustafsson ahead of Vallejo and Short on tiebreak". Chess News. Chessbase GmbH. April 17, 2011. Retrieved 2015-03-05.
- "Jan Gustafsson player profile". Chess24.com. Retrieved 2015-03-05.
- Winter, Edward. "9085. Live chess broadcasts on the Internet". Chess Notes.
- Poker für Gewinner der systematische Weg zum Erfolg im Limit Texas Holdem
- "Jahresrückblick 2016: Jan Gustafsson fasst das Schachjahr zusammen". Chess24.com. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jan Gustafsson.|
- Official website
- Jan Gustafsson player profile and games at Chessgames.com
- Magnus Carlsen Pranks Jan Gustafsson by Playing on His Friend's Account