|Born||December 17, 1968|
|Field||Macroeconomics, economic forecasting|
|Alma mater||University of Oxford
University of Wisconsin–Madison
Kiel Institute for the World Economy
London School of Economics
Jan Hatzius (born December 17, 1968) is the chief economist of investment bank Goldman Sachs. Notable for his bearish forecasts prior to the Financial crisis of 2007–2008, he is a two-time winner of the Lawrence R. Klein Award for the most accurate US economic forecast over the prior four years. He has also won a number of other forecasting awards, including the Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, and Institutional Investor annual forecaster rankings.
Born in Heidelberg, Hatzius attended the University of Wisconsin–Madison and the Kiel Institute for the World Economy. He earned a Doctor of Philosophy in economics from the University of Oxford in 1995 (advisor: Stephen Nickell). He has also worked as a research fellow at the London School of Economics.
Hatzius joined Goldman Sachs in 1997 as an associate economist in the Frankfurt office and moved to New York in 1999. He became a managing director in 2004, and succeeded former chief US economist William Dudley in 2005. In 2008, Hatzius was named to Goldman Sachs′ list of partners. In 2011, Hatzius became the firm's chief economist. He is also the head of both the Global Economics group and Americas Macro Research.
- Hatzius, Jan; Hooper, Peter; Mishkin, Frederic S.; Schoenholtz, Kermit L.; Watson, Mark W. (July 2010). "Financial Conditions Indexes: A Fresh Look after the Financial Crisis". NBER Working Paper No. w16150. SSRN 1635673.
- Hatzius, J. (2000). "Foreign direct investment and factor demand elasticities". European Economic Review 44 (1): 117–143. doi:10.1016/S0014-2921(98)00050-6.
- Hatzius, J. (1998). "Domestic Jobs and Foreign Wages". Scandinavian Journal of Economics 100 (4): 733–746. doi:10.1111/1467-9442.00133.
- Gauthier, A. H. L. N.; Hatzius, J. (1997). "Family Benefits and Fertility: An Econometric Analysis". Population Studies 51 (3): 295–306. doi:10.1080/0032472031000150066.
- Most Accurate Economist 2012 .
- Most Accurate Economist 2009
- Dörner, Astrid (25 September 2008). "Jan Hatzius – Der Pessimist, der recht behält". Financial Times Deutschland.
- Rieke, Torsten (19 October 2005). "Ganz oben in der Wall Street". Handelsblatt.
- "Goldman Sachs Names 94 Partners". New York Times. 29 October 2008.